http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WIN7]Trying to delete 'free Space' to make it 'Unallocated'  (Read 1718 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:42:45 AM »

My C: drive is almost full and I need to expand it before I start running into performance issues.  I cut out 100GB from one of my logical drives, creating the free space, but I can't use it for the Primary partition unless its Unallocated.  Options to delete the free space are greyed out, and other online help seems to assume that you can just delete it.  I've used the elevated command prompt to do what I need otherwise but nothng will allow me to convert the space back to unallocated.

So far, the free downloadable partition wizards that I have come accross have wanted me to pay before doing anything useful.  Any suggestions?

Using Win 7 Pro 64
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »

Download a Linux LiveCD and use their partition tool (GParted).

Be careful when you resize a live drive though, you may end up making the data gone. Make sure you have sufficient backup of everything important.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:29:38 AM »

Or get EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:00:45 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Went with EASEUS, but ended up using a different partition after moving some stuff around.  It didn't like the spread between volumes and needed a primary partition to extend into.  Worked out ok. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: