http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:08:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW the Boardgame  (Read 2754 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2005, 03:56:44 PM »

Okay, the World of Warcraft boardgame rules have been posted...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/worldofwarcraft.html

I've skimmed them, and I'm actually impressed.  They've built a rather classic adventure questing game around this.  Now, I've only given the rules a really light reading, so I can't say how it would hold up under extended play.  It does look like a nifty 3v3 game.  Alliance vs Horde.  Either beat the Overlord and win for your side, or defeat the other side in PvP combat when turn 30 hits.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 04:11:06 PM »

I was getting ready to buy this but then I noticed that it won't be available until Dec. 2005.  What really shocked me was the price... $79.95.  Are you kidding me?  I will admit that it's been awhile since I purchased a board game but is this a normal price for a board game?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 04:38:25 PM »

Once you see the components that will be in the box, the price tag doesn't seem too bad.   This box, like Doom and Twilight Imperium III, is full of stuff.  And it's high color printing on sturdy cardstock.  Add in the plastic miniatures and it comes into perspective.

Fantasy Flight has one thing right, and that is game components.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 01:08:43 AM »

Yeah, they pretty much throw in a ton and a half of stuff if they charge $80 for a game.  In Twilight Imperium 3 (also $80), there's a million cards and counters, along with about 200 plastic ships.  In War of the Ring ($60), there's a massive board and another 200 plastic figures.  Doom ($55) features 66 beefy minis, with the Cyberdemon standing about 3" high.  Descent ($80) gives you a ton of cards and bits, as well as 80 minis, with the largest being larger than Doom's Cyberdemon.

Yes, the price tags on Fantasy Flight's high-end games are high.  However, the scale of them pretty much justifies the cost.  When you have a game of War of the Ring set up, there's a decidedly epic feel to it, just like the setting should have.  When you see a Cyberdemon in Doom bearing down on you, it feels imposing.  It remains to be seen how the WoW board game pans out, but the price tag shouldn't be the limiting factor.

Plus, if you shop online, the prices come down a lot.  My pre-ordered copy of Descent is costing me $52 with free shipping from Thoughthammer, since my buddy ordered his copy at the same time.  WoW will be pretty much the same.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 09:26:53 PM »

I'm all over this when it ships in December. Fantasy Flights board games are always top notch (worth the cost) and the rules, which were just released this week, look phenom.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »

I nearly forgot that I had preordered the WoW boardgame back in October. Much to my surprise, there was a big box in front of my door when I got home last night.

Unfortunately, the wife and I didn't get a chance to play a game, but I did open it up and check out all the components. The game is so frickin' beautiful. There's a ton of colored plastic figures. The Character cards are printed on thick, glossy cardstock. The board itself is very large, and the game comes with a ton of dice. Production value is simply outstanding. I thought War of the Ring was a beautiful looking game, but WoW is even better.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »

I finally got a game of WoW in last night with a few friends.  We only had 4 players and elected not to play with 6 characters, so some of my cons might change since the game was designed around 6 character play.

Overall we all had a blast playing it.  There were times our lack of experience with the game slowed things down to a crawl, but I'm sure it would play better now that we all know the rules.

Pros:
Perfectly captured the feel of WoW (leveling, getting new gear, questing, etc.)
Mind boggling number of bits
Interesting combat mechanics
Deep leveling with lots of hard choices to make
Combines the best aspects of competitive games and cooperative games
Classes seem well balanced and each one feels unique and like it's real WoW counterpart
Race against the clock feeling keeps the game tense
Rules are well written and very clear.  I didn't notice and ambiguous wording at all

Cons:
Can be lots of downtime while the other team moves (most of the time this wasn't a huge issue as the "off" team would use that time to plan, but still downtime)
Not much incentive for PvP
PvP combat can take a LONG time (we use the deadly rules as the basic rules can drag)
Game can run long if your not careful

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »

Got to play this finally over the last weekend.  Wow..fiddly bits!!! I like it.  The wife is interested in playing more, and it has two expansions coming this year (summer and late q4).  Heck, the wife and I realized we didn't have to play against each other either.  We'll just spawn alliance quest cards whenever we complete a quest to populate the game board with blue (independant) creatures.  Then we'll just move to destroy the overlord. Woohoo!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: