http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:05:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wired's 10 Most Disappointing Games of 2008  (Read 5302 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »

The List

10. Age of Conan (PC)
9. Tom Clancy's EndWar (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
8. Too Human (Xbox 360)
7. Stalker: Clear Sky (PC)
6. Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360, PS3)
5. Dead Space (Xbox 360, PS3)
4. Prince of Persia (Xbox 360, PS3)
3. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
2. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Xbox 360, PS3)
1. Spore (PC)

I managed to avoid buying and playing all of these games.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »

I haven't played a single one of those games but I will probably pick up Prince of Persia soon in the new year.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »

The only one I bought was Age of Conan, and it certainly had its share of issues. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:03:09 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on December 13, 2008, 02:28:45 PM

I managed to avoid buying and playing all of these games.

That's a shame.  Prince of Persia and Deadspace are excellent and Mirror's Edge is flawed but very worthwhile.  Endwar seems to be getting some very positive buzz as well but I haven't played it. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »

I bought Age of Conan, STALKER: Clear Sky and Spore.  I was definitely disappointed with Spore, loved STALKER up until the final 3 levels where it became a linear shooter and also liked Age of Conan enough to get my toon to 71 and play for a couple of months beyond the free month they give you.  I plan on picking up The Force Unleashed eventually (maybe even this weekend with Gamestops buy 2 get 1 free used sale), and Prince of Persia as well.  I tried the demo for Dead Space and Too Human and was not wowed enough to plan on getting them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »

I bought AoC and Spore myself, I enjoyed AoC as a single player game and played it for about 3 weeks until I finished the opening city of Tortage (sp?), then once I hit the "world" I realized I didn't want to play it anymore.  I specifically liked the night story line and the voice acting and once that switched back to traditional MMO text and quests it was too much of a departure from the first 20 levels.

Spore I only got into the 2nd stage and already was turned off by the fact that it didn't model evolution at all like so many of us thought it was going to do, in fact it was the exact opposite.

I was interested in Mirror's Edge but the reviewers I've heard on various podcasts are all over the place on the quality of the game, from what I gather some just can't wrap their heads around the game mechanics while others find it intuitive and fun but thought the rest of the gameplay was lacking.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:18:01 PM »

I just started Prince of Persia on the 360 and so far I really like it.  But I'm only like 2 hours in, so we'll see.

I grabbed Spore for $20 on sale at Amazon a few weeks ago and my daughter and I are having some fun with it.  Haven't finished all 5 stages, so maybe it'll turn to crap.

So, my initial impressions of both are positive, but since I haven't finished them, I guess I have to reserve final judgement. 

Bought and played Mario Kart for awhile, but didn't love it enough to keep it. 
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »

I would agree on Mirror's Edge and SW Unleashed definitely.   Didn't play most of the others.  As for Dead Space, it was just the opposite for me.  I was not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.  I would take it off that list.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »

I was thinking of getting SW TFU on PSP. Is it bad on PSP? $34 used is still too high for me right now.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 06:02:17 AM »

I agree with most on that list except Dead Space. Whether the article's author liked it or not is irrelevant - it got stellar reviews and doesn't deserve a spot on that list.

As far as Spore goes.....well, I hate to say I told you so.......  icon_twisted

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 06:12:52 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 14, 2008, 06:02:17 AM

I agree with most on that list except Dead Space. Whether the article's author liked it or not is irrelevant - it got stellar reviews and doesn't deserve a spot on that list.

so one guys opinion is irrelevant but other peoples are?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 06:46:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2008, 06:12:52 AM

Especially since most of the games on the list (including Dead Space) had average reviews in the 80s. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 08:06:42 AM »

Disappointing doesn't mean bad. I was disappointed in Mercs 2, but I still consider it one of my favorite games of 2008, and I'm sure I'll play it for a long time.

PSN ID: EduardoX
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2008, 06:46:24 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2008, 06:12:52 AM

Especially since most of the games on the list (including Dead Space) had average reviews in the 80s. 

Yup, a fairly bogus list IMHO considering I played about 1/2 of those on it and would be comfortable calling at least 4 of them excellent. How I read YK's comment is that one journalist being overly subjective isn't very relevent and I agree. I mean good god if those are the writers most disappointing, he's either one hell of a spoiled gamer or a very jaded game reviewer.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 02:34:52 AM »

That sucks, Dead Space and TFU are my two favorite games this year.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 06:25:44 AM »

I didn't look at the article, but just curious, is he maybe talking about sales or some other criteria?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 06:32:39 AM »

Quote from: Graham on December 15, 2008, 06:25:44 AM

I didn't look at the article, but just curious, is he maybe talking about sales or some other criteria?

From the article:

The games below, chosen by the usual panel of Wired.com contributors, is in no way supposed to be a list of the worst games of 2008. Those are all for the Wii, cost $10, are about dogs and/or babies, and we wouldn't be caught dead playing them. No, these are the games that let us down the most this year. Most of them are actually good games. But they failed to live up to the hype, or didn't deliver on their promises. Perhaps we were just left wanting more. Either way, here are our Most Disappointing Games of the year.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

When Nintendo revealed Wii, it was widely touted as nothing short of a revolution in the way we would experience games. True to form, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy were both excellent updates that made good use of Wii's new features. But when it came time to take its go-kart racing game for another spin, Nintendo crashed into a tree. Not only does Mario Kart Wii completely fail to innovate in any meaningful way over earlier entries in the series, the awkward wheel peripheral that shipped with the title actually made gameplay more difficult. And the castrated battle mode was the airbag that failed to deploy. — Earnest Cavalli

Everything past the first sentence is crazy talk.  It's like someone decided they should probably have a well-liked Wii game on the list at the last minute.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »

Dead Space being on there is a travesty.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on December 15, 2008, 06:15:57 PM

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

When Nintendo revealed Wii, it was widely touted as nothing short of a revolution in the way we would experience games. True to form, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy were both excellent updates that made good use of Wii's new features. But when it came time to take its go-kart racing game for another spin, Nintendo crashed into a tree. Not only does Mario Kart Wii completely fail to innovate in any meaningful way over earlier entries in the series, the awkward wheel peripheral that shipped with the title actually made gameplay more difficult. And the castrated battle mode was the airbag that failed to deploy. — Earnest Cavalli

Everything past the first sentence is crazy talk.  It's like someone decided they should probably have a well-liked Wii game on the list at the last minute.

Yeah that's one of 4 I referred to ealier that I'd be comfortable saying was excellent. Some people may have been dissapointed with the awkwardness of playing it online, but the rest of the gamepay is excellent. And the not innovating on control with the wiimote wheel attachment is complete BS IMO. I've had to play it with my wavebird often since I only own 3 wiimotes. I can definitely tell you from my experiences that the wiimote+wheel combo is far superior; in fact there's really no comparison.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »

7. Stalker: Clear Sky (PC)
3. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
2. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Xbox 360, PS3)
1. Spore (PC)

these 4 i played and only agree with spore.  stalker, while maybe not the game we all dreamed of back in 2005, is a great follow-up and does a lot more than i expected it to. 
sw:fu was hyped, then trashed after release, but even though i think they missed out on an opportunity with the techs they unveiled, i had a lot of fun playing it and i wasn't expecting anything grand after the demo hit.
mario kart wii is functionally the same game as it has been for years, only this time with motion.  sadly, a sign that shows through on other N titles (animal crossing is the biggest example here).  it's still a lot of fun though.
spore had the most potential, but sadly became too big for it's own good and suffered from a design standpoint of complexity vs playability. 

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 14, 2008, 08:06:42 AM

Disappointing doesn't mean bad. I was disappointed in Mercs 2, but I still consider it one of my favorite games of 2008, and I'm sure I'll play it for a long time.
i too was disappointed by what they failed to do, but i had fun with it.  to me, it's almost like a dynasty warriors game in that i already know how to play it, but i still enjoy the feeling i get going through the motions.  missed potential, but a solid game.

good topic starter though for a GOAT thread.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »

How I read YK's comment is that one journalist being overly subjective isn't very relevent and I agree.

Yeah, my point was that this list could have easily been called, "Some Random Dude's List of Most Disappointing Games of 2008." As a reader, I'd hope that the list was put together with a thought towards games that were more broadly seen as disappointments by the general gaming community/reviewers. I don't see how a game consistently in the upper 80s makes that list. Even if I don't like a movie, if it's getting 88% on Rotten Tomatoes I will concede that a lot of people do like it.

Obviously if this is just one man's opinion piece then it has no more or no less validity than anyone else, but when I read a major article from a major website, I assume it to be worth a little more than a one-man rant on a message board.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

I agree with Yellowking here,

I think for something to appear on a list like this it should disappoint a rather large group of people -- I haven't played Dead Space but it seems like 90% of the people who played it really enjoyed it.  If I played Dead Space and didn't like it I wouldn't assume it was because the game was disappointing, just that it wasn't for me.  Of course, what would a list be without controversy.

Conversely, I really enjoyed the Force Unleashed, but can see why it made the list, I think it did disappoint a lot of people. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »

Wow, I somehow managed to avoid all of those this year.  Go me!!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 15, 2008, 08:22:09 PM

Quote from: kadnod on December 15, 2008, 06:15:57 PM

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

Yeah that's one of 4 I referred to ealier that I'd be comfortable saying was excellent. Some people may have been dissapointed with the awkwardness of playing it online, but the rest of the gamepay is excellent. And the not innovating on control with the wiimote wheel attachment is complete BS IMO. I've had to play it with my wavebird often since I only own 3 wiimotes. I can definitely tell you from my experiences that the wiimote+wheel combo is far superior; in fact there's really no comparison.

I agree with the article. Mario Kart was a good game, because it's Mario Kart, but it was disappointing because it didn't really make any strides. There maybe only 2 or 3 new tracks that were really that interesting and the gameplay was identical to past Mario Karts. The only real innovative bit was the wheel, which was pretty gimmicky. I completely disagree that it is the superior control. The Gamecube controller was far far superior for me, and I used both extensively.

Of course, they could have said the same thing about Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which was pretty much the exact same game as Melee and didn't even try to add in motion control stuff.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 10:19:29 PM »

Hmmm, I'd rather see a list of "The 10 Most Disappointing Wired Lists of 2009."  smirk

The sad thing is, more and more "media outlets" do endless lists cause they've probably laid off most of their writers and can't do anything more than make lists, and lists of lists.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »

Dead Space shouldn't be on the list.  It was a great game.

I do agree with Spore making the list.  I thought it was a big disappointment.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »

Keep in mind people, disappointing does not equal bad.  These aren’t games to avoid, they’re simply games that in the authors opinions were overhyped or fell short of their true potential.   Games on this list can still be great.  After all how can you be disappointed about something you don’t care about?

16-bit and loving it!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 04:17:11 PM »

I'm not sure how Mario kart can be fusspointing. Its Mario kart what more were they expecting!! For me Mario kart was the game that showed the possibilities of wii MP and was a great game to boot so can hardly be disappointing.

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 04:17:51 PM »

Damn this phone:)

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 28, 2008, 04:17:11 PM

I'm not sure how Mario kart can be fusspointing. Its Mario kart what more were they expecting!! For me Mario kart was the game that showed the possibilities of wii MP and was a great game to boot so can hardly be disappointing.

I'm now working fusspointing into my posts. I love that word.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: