http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 12:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here plays non D&D pen and paper RPGs?  (Read 3539 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:50:56 AM »

*raises his hand*

I don't have anything against D&D, in fact I've had fun playing it for a while.  But I've gotten a little tired of traditional fantasy so I moved on to some other games.

First and foremost there's the Deadlands trilogy, a kind of western meets steampunk, mixed in with cthulu-like horror elements.  It's a very nice series.

Also by the same company is a rules system and a nice line of settings going by Savage Worlds.  The settings are the really nice thing about this game, I'll list a few that I run below:

There's 50 Fathoms, a world where sailors have been lured to sail through a portal into an alternate fantasy world that is slowly being drowned.

Necessary Evil is a favorite, where you have a typical high powered super  heroes setting, except that aliens have invaded and in a stunning move, wiped out 99% of the heroes.  Now, the only ones left to fight these alien invaders are the Villians, which you play.  There was a rather awkward moment when my players came into a rebel base and were cheered by people as they passed, instead of the cowering and running in fear that they're used to.

Tour of Darkness, part of their Weird Wars series is set in Vietnam.  The premise is that where there is strife and chaos, it twists the fabric of reality and dark things come into existance.  Since there are few greater places where strife and chaos exist than war, warzones are where these things are encountered the most.  Then it supposes that there are government organizations created to stop these things.

Besides stuff from that company, I do a bit of Traveller, for anyone who remembers it.  Think "Firefly" to get an idea of what traveller is.  I've modified my version of the Traveller universe to be a bit friendlier.

That's my list... that gets me wanting to run a game online somehow.  I'll post another topic on that.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 01:28:35 PM »

They all sound interesting. Especially "Necessary Evil"

Ascendent
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:30:07 PM »

I used to.  Havent played in some time.  D&D.  Vampire: The Masquerade and some of the others in that series.  Thats it really for me.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:34:25 PM »

I've played a lot of non-D&D games over the years.  Call of Cuthulhu, Paranoia, Star Wars RPG, Twilight 2000, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Vampire, Werewolf, Wraith... more I can't quite remember.

Our longest running campaign was the Werewolf campaign my friend and I ran all through high school and finally finished up a few years ago the last time we were all together after college.  Great campaign that.  My character was a Fiona Galliard who happened to be a super rich actor.  Gave my GM fits everytime I bought my way out of our problems... it was all fun and games until he started blowing up all my villas. slywink

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 04:14:18 AM »

While I love Fantasy RPGs and especially D&D, my favorite paper RPG of all times is still Champions
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 02:38:44 PM »

I used to play a bunch of PnP RPGs.  Mainly it was D&D and Vampire.  We'd have a few sessions of different games now and then like : Shadowrun, Champions, Deadlands and Star Wars (West End Games version).  The last game session I played was a Vampire campaign about 6 years ago.  Fun stuff.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 07:21:58 PM »

Had played Nightlife and Talislanta for quite a while.  Recently tried the Stargate RPG and found it to be very enjoyable.

SH

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 09:02:25 PM »

In the early 80s there were swarms of non-D&D RPGs.  I still have a few boxes of them.  Anyone remember The Fantasy Trip?  That was a good one.  I played lots of Tunnels & Trolls solitaires (and last year I completed my collection of them) during those years.   Let me think... Traveller... Dragon Quest... Runequest... Call of Cthulhu (late-80s)... Gamma World.  I have a few modules for Boot Hill (is that what it was called?) in my D&D box, but never played it.

Those were the days.  There were a LOT of games and systems out there with a lot of interesting ideas and settings.  Some were pure crap, some were good, but most of them got steamrollered by D&D.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 05:33:10 AM »

I've never actually played a PnP game in my life, but I have quite a few sourcebooks, mostly because they fascinate me and are great reading beyond the mechanics sections.

My favorites outside of D&D:

-Shadowrun
-Call of Cthulhu
-H.P Lovecraft's Dreamlands (CoC offshoot)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 07:44:54 AM »

Actually, I know quite a few people who don't play, but buy sourcebooks because they're interesting reads.  It's like those who buy Tolkien's Silmarion for all that backstory goodness.
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 05:14:01 PM »

I've played several non-D&D RPGs: Runequest, Glorantha, Call of Cthulhu, GURPS, In Nomine, ShadowRun, and Feng Shui. The Glorantha universe is amazing. I really like the Feng Shui rule system.

I own a lot of PnP RPGs that I'll probably never have a chance to play. They are fun to read and often full of great ideas. The range of material and game mechanics is amazing. I wish CRPGs had as much variety.

After I discovered the indie RPG scene last year at GenCon, my eyes were opened to a whole new world of roleplaying. It's been bad for my pocketbook. My favorites include

- Sorceror (and supplements)
- Dogs in the Vineyard
- Shadow of Yesterday
- Dust Devils
- Prime Time Adventures
- My Life with Master
- Engel
- Mechanical Dreams

I'd love to find a group to try some of these.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: