http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 02:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with back issues of PCG and demo discs?  (Read 3452 times)
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:18:06 AM »

This is so a shot in the dark. I've got about 100-130 PC Gamers and their demo discs(some may be missing) from 1997 to 2001 mostly with some others sprinkled in there. I want to have them not be in my house anymore. They are heavy as shit obviously so shipping might be costly. Does this interest anyone? Do I just toss 'em? What the hell do you guys do with back issues like this? I mean there is some good history in there and I hate to part with them but if we move to a condo next year, I won't have the room to keep 'em.

What say you?
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 02:20:16 AM »

Recycle 'em.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:22:02 AM »

hmm...i guess i'm not the person to answer this as i still have about eight years worth of issues (and discs) stacked in a closet...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:11:55 PM »

toss em
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »

Quote from: disarm on June 07, 2008, 05:22:02 AM

hmm...i guess i'm not the person to answer this as i still have about eight years worth of issues (and discs) stacked in a closet...

u=sicker than me

thanks slywink
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:12:01 PM »

I had over 100. I went through them and kept about 5 and tossed the rest or gave them to friends. I have the one with all the free games on them here beside me still smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 07, 2008, 02:20:16 AM

Recycle 'em.

This one.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »

Well, as it's PC Gamer, you should probably use it to wipe your bootay after doing poops.  If that's unlikely, recycle.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:18:39 AM »

I was referring to toss the cd's of course.  I don't think they can be recycled can they?  And yes, of course recycle the magazines.  1997 still might be a decent year though right?  They hadn't totally gone down the tubes by then I don't think.  Man back in the mid 90's some of those issues were like 300 pages I think!  Now they're down to about 80 probably.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 07:25:04 AM »

CD's? 

skeet shooting.

or coasters.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »

I had quite a few PCG and CGW mags / CD-ROMs from about that same time period. The conclusion I came to a few years ago is that it's probably not worth holding on to anything that's more than a PC gaming OS generation old; usually 7 years. Mostly because the majority of games covered in them won't run on current gen OS's without a lot of tinkering. Unless you're technically savvy and like to tweak legacy games until they run, or you maintain a legacy gaming rig; I wouldn't even bother keeping the games let alone the publications that covered them.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:01:28 AM »

Hmmm, I should've looked into magazine recyclers before I jettisoned a few tons of PC Gamer, CGW, CG and stuff like Windows Magazine and PC Computing. Oh well. I crossed my fingers and hoped they went into the County Incinerator that we have here.  icon_redface

I have a hard time finding any sort of recycling here now (my homeowner's association gave up on newspaper and plastics recycling cause most of the people here didn't follow the sorting rules and the recycling company got tired of dealing with all that extra work.

A site called Earth 911 has a "recyclers locator" that might be handy:
http://earth911.org/

You can search by type of item you want to recycle (including magazines), and zip code or city/state. It's pretty handy. I shall see if I can figure out where to drop my remaining tons of magazines.

I'm no Boy Scout about recycling right now, but I am aghast at airports (whose concessions sell bottled drinks left and right), stadiums and arenas (whose concessions sell tons and tons of recyclable beer and soft drink and water bottles) around here in Virginia that make no effort at recycling at all. They'll get like probably 30,000+ people buying bottle drinks and junking them in the trash. Seems like a waste.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:05:45 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 08:05:35 AM »

I've got all my Strategy Plus, PC Gamer, CGW, Maximum PC/Boot magazines going back to the mid-90's. Mostly organized on shelves. I keep the demo CDs in a separate box.

I get a real kick out of reading the old magazines once in a while, so I'll keep those for giggles, but the CDs I suspect are pretty much worthless. However, the box they're in doesn't take up much room, so I'll likely hang on to those as well, just in case someone brings up an old classic in a thread sometime that I haven't played before and interests me.

If I ever just decide to get completely and totally OUT of PC gaming (like if I spontaneously get married), my home would have two entire rooms with nothing in them.
Except the two pinball machines.
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 12:03:35 AM »

This would come up every so often at OO.

General consensus as stated above, toss them. I once tried to give them to a public library and the librarian I spoke to about donating the mags went in the back room and never came out.

I went through my 20 years of gaming mags and kept the first year of Computer Gaming World,  The whole run of Questbusters and no more than 4 or 5 of the rest of them. I started to cut the mags up and place a magazine article in their respective gaming box. But I think I had to do something more important like take my clothes out of the washer and put them in the drier.

Now my policy is to only keep the latest 12 months. The older ones get tossed.
although I will NOW cut out an article and place it in it's respective box  . . . .   it's manageable now paranoid
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: