http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What games are you guys looking for in a board game site?  (Read 934 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

I am trying to get more board game news and reviews posted, but what would you guys like to see from us as far as board games go?  I am sure we aren't going to be BGG, but I don't want us to be BGG since I feel like some of those people there only live for board games.  What would you guys like to see from us?

I do have several game reviews down the pipeline, including several older games, but I have a few newer ones coming down the pipeline.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »

For me, I'm just starting to scratch the surface of what's out there for more complex board games.  I'm interested in seeing fewer, but more detailed board games reviews.  I'd also prefer them to be more like overviews and recommendations.  I have no interest in seeing a review for a bad board game; I want to read things that make me want to buy more.

As far as content, I want to know how the game works, how big the learning curve is, how easy it is to teach non-gamers and how appealing it is for them, the ideal number of players and the acceptable number of players, how well it evens out large skill level divides, replayability, interactivity, etc.

I haven't watched them in a while, but I really like the approach of Geek & Sundry's TableTop.  I would definitely be interested in a GT article in which multiple people play a board game together and share their thoughts on the playthrough from multiple perspectives. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »

How about doing a "best of the best" review article series for classics that you consider the best choices in their niche?

If you're looking for more up-to-date games, I'm not the best person to ask since I sort of dropped out of the hobby for a little while. If the board game site is going to be related to Gaming Trend, maybe do a review of Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game (the new one by FFG)? It's a great game and would appeal to both sides of the hobby, I'd think.

A tip: I'd recommend doing board game reviews with nice, big, original pictures of the game and its components as part of the review. BGG's reviews can typically feel a bit text-heavy and dry. By making the reviews more visually pleasing, with more eye candy, you could hit an audience that might not be satisfied with BGG's way of doing things. Imagine the same kind of review structure that a computer game would get.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 07, 2013, 03:59:02 PM

A tip: I'd recommend doing board game reviews with nice, big, original pictures of the game and its components as part of the review.

This is a great recommendation.  When I look through the pictures on BGG trying to see what a game looks like I hate having to filter out all the pictures of people who hand-painted their models or built custom pieces or whatever.  Not that that stuff isn't neat to see, but it's not helpful when I just want to know what's in the box.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:43:15 PM »

Yeah a full picture of the table with the game set up to start would be nice, too (maybe even with labels).

This leads me to something I think is missing on BGG (or at least isn't done in a way that I'm looking for): Quick rules refreshers.  I have a lot of boardgames.  I actually enjoy reading rules.  However, for many of them, reading through the rulebook is a twenty minute affair.  And that's when you're not trying to take someone else through the rules.  When I'm sitting down to play (or mid-game), I'd like a really quick list of rules boiled down to the simplest of facts.  These shouldn't be the kind of thing you can read instead of the rules.  You still have to read the rulebook first, but when you get ready to play, it gives you a quick overview of both the main rules and things that are easy to miss or forget about.

I've seen Headless Hollow, but even these are more detailed than I'm talking about.  This is something I wish I could do myself, as I think it would be invaluable for a lot of people, but it's just not my forte.

As for reviews, I'm actually in favor of quick hit reviews, where you don't do a whole rehash of the rules and just get to what worked and what didn't and final opinions.

I think the idea of doing reviews of boardgames that have been based on video games is a good one and a natural fit, but it's also pretty limiting.  There are a number of them that are really good, but they've been reviewed quite a bit already.  And it's a niche of a niche market.  A series of articles like that would be great, but it should be clear that it's a series and not the main drive of the site, I think.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

I think the idea of doing reviews of boardgames that have been based on video games is a good one and a natural fit, but it's also pretty limiting.  There are a number of them that are really good, but they've been reviewed quite a bit already.  And it's a niche of a niche market.  A series of articles like that would be great, but it should be clear that it's a series and not the main drive of the site, I think.

There's a lot that's more subtle though. Galactic Civilizations 2, for example, was heavily inspired by Twilight Imperium, which in turn was inspired by Master of Orion. Articles looking at these kinds of links could be very interesting for someone who plays both computer games and board games.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 07, 2013, 08:48:27 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

There's a lot that's more subtle though. Galactic Civilizations 2, for example, was heavily inspired by Twilight Imperium, which in turn was inspired by Master of Orion. Articles looking at these kinds of links could be very interesting for someone who plays both computer games and board games.

True.

I'm all for those articles, I'm just not all for only those articles. 

But doing articles that connect to the other stuff on this site would be wise.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:15:16 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 07, 2013, 05:01:24 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 07, 2013, 03:59:02 PM

A tip: I'd recommend doing board game reviews with nice, big, original pictures of the game and its components as part of the review.

This is a great recommendation.  When I look through the pictures on BGG trying to see what a game looks like I hate having to filter out all the pictures of people who hand-painted their models or built custom pieces or whatever.  Not that that stuff isn't neat to see, but it's not helpful when I just want to know what's in the box.

Yeah, BGG can be a pain to navigate.  Here's another vote for a good inventory of what comes in the box with plenty of pics.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a "best new release of the month" column or something similar.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am going to do what I can to incorporate board games in the system.  Hopefully you've noticed I am posting more board game news on the site, and I have a few companies that I have a pretty good relationship with.  I am working on getting more too.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
robgardiner
Gaming Trend Staff
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 06:51:50 AM »

Hi everybody,

This is Rob. I am on tap to provide board game reviews for this site. I will be sure to take all comments in this thread into account as I craft my reviews. Many thanks!!

- Rob

Quote from: wonderpug on February 07, 2013, 03:25:51 PM

For me, I'm just starting to scratch the surface of what's out there for more complex board games.  I'm interested in seeing fewer, but more detailed board games reviews.  I'd also prefer them to be more like overviews and recommendations.  I have no interest in seeing a review for a bad board game; I want to read things that make me want to buy more.

As far as content, I want to know how the game works, how big the learning curve is, how easy it is to teach non-gamers and how appealing it is for them, the ideal number of players and the acceptable number of players, how well it evens out large skill level divides, replayability, interactivity, etc.

I haven't watched them in a while, but I really like the approach of Geek & Sundry's TableTop.  I would definitely be interested in a GT article in which multiple people play a board game together and share their thoughts on the playthrough from multiple perspectives. 
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »

Enjoyed reading the Axis and Allies review and glad to have another source to get board game reviews.  AARs would be nice with lots of pics every so often.  Since that can be time consuming it doesn't have to happen all the time but I've always enjoyed reading a good AAR or session report on a game.

And a minor thing but if board games are going to become a staple on the front page, perhaps they can be added to the latest posts/review menu bar along side the "electronic" choices so you can jump to the board game stuff.

Thanks!

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

Quote from: Siljanus on August 26, 2013, 05:20:36 PM

Enjoyed reading the Axis and Allies review and glad to have another source to get board game reviews.  AARs would be nice with lots of pics every so often.  Since that can be time consuming it doesn't have to happen all the time but I've always enjoyed reading a good AAR or session report on a game.

And a minor thing but if board games are going to become a staple on the front page, perhaps they can be added to the latest posts/review menu bar along side the "electronic" choices so you can jump to the board game stuff.

Thanks!

As it takes off we will launch a complete site dedicated to just Board Games.  smile   

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 01:42:56 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 27, 2013, 08:31:06 PM

Enjoyed reading the Axis and Allies review and glad to have another source to get board game reviews.  AARs would be nice with lots of pics every so often.  Since that can be time consuming it doesn't have to happen all the time but I've always enjoyed reading a good AAR or session report on a game.

Thanks!

As it takes off we will launch a complete site dedicated to just Board Games.  smile  

I look forward to checking that out.  I'm gravitating toward playing more board games and I wonder if that's a function of age.  Then again some of the neighborhood kids who are busy robbing banks in Payday 2 have also been playing more board games.  My friend's sons were running a Risk game based on Metal Gear Solid of all things.  What a world we live in.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:44:33 AM by Siljanus » Logged

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
AWS260
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:45:20 AM »

AARs would be nice with lots of pics every so often.  Since that can be time consuming it doesn't have to happen all the time but I've always enjoyed reading a good AAR or session report on a game.
I second this idea.  Board game AARs can be great, especially ones written by more than one player, showing different perspectives on the same game.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »

Those should be populating there as well. I think the volume of posts and reviews we've been having lately just cycles them off real quick

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: