http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What game is this?  (Read 2995 times)
Hansey
Gaming Trend Reader

Random Lurker

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:34:45 AM »

My husband claims that there's a game, an RPG type game, where the inventory management is a bit unsual. He says that your character actually goes "inside" your inventory to get the item you want. Like your inventory is represented as a room of sorts, and when you need something, you enter the room, where all of your stuff is laying around. You get it, and leave the room, and now you have it equipped or whatever.

He swears up and down that he's watched ME play this game, but I think I would remember such an unusual method of inventory management.

It could be almost any platform, so I'm afraid I can't be of any assistance there. All I know is that I can't recall ever playing such a game. And I've played loads of RPG/Adventure type games, with quite a wide variety of inventory management techniques.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Or is my spouse going completely mad?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 04:21:49 AM »

Column B. Tongue

I have never heard of such a thing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »

Well, Disgaea had the item world where you would go inside items, fight in them to unlock seals that would increase the item strength.

On the DS the Shiren series has you storing items in a warehouse, but even that had an inventory.

I know of no game that has inventory access as a room, in fact it's bad design to handle it that way since creating that room uses more system resources than just having a menu.  If the game does exist, it sounds like it'd be one of the many quirky JRPGs.  I suspect your husband just got confused while watching you play, perhaps he was sleepy and half-dreaming.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »

Like your inventory is represented as a room of sorts, and when you need something, you enter the room, where all of your stuff is laying around. You get it, and leave the room, and now you have it equipped or whatever.

Maybe he's thinking of a game where you can leave items in certain rooms outside of containers, like Oblivion or something similar? 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 17, 2008, 09:48:03 AM

Well, Disgaea had the item world where you would go inside items, fight in them to unlock seals that would increase the item strength.

Disgaea was my first thought as well, but you enter the items to level them up, not to equip them.

Hansey
Gaming Trend Reader

Random Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:51:54 AM »

Thanks for the replies so far!

Yeah, definitely not Disgaea.. he's played that recently anyway, and it's not what he's thinking of.  Also definitely not Oblivion, as we're both very familiar with that game.

I will ask him about Shiren, though we do not have that for the DS... but that doesn't preclude him from possibly having played it elsewhere.  He did say it was quite possibly a JRPG though. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 03:02:14 AM »

This game sounds REALLY familiar for some reason. I think it's a GBA or DS title, but I can't explain why...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:20:32 AM »

I'm going to make the guess Soul Nomad on the PS2.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »

this sounds like Terranigma .. I think it was never released in the states though.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 08:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 06, 2008, 06:35:48 PM

this sounds like Terranigma .. I think it was never released in the states though.

Having played Terranigma (SNES - European release only), that's exactly it. Or at least the inventory screen as described above.

The game was best described as something like Secret of Mana, but far more vibrant as far as the graphics go, and you were always playing the game solo.

An amazing game that sadly was never released in the US.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hansey
Gaming Trend Reader

Random Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »

I just found this thread again, not realizing it had been bumped again!

I just asked hubby if he's ever played "Terranigma" and he said he had.  So I asked him is *that* was the game he was thinking of (he had forgotten about our previous discussion) and after looking at some screenshots, he said he thinks that's the one!

Previous comments about it never being released in the states make sense too though - I am American, but he's British... so he probably played it back home when it was originally out.

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: