http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:55:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay  (Read 3328 times)
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:18:33 AM »

Well....I have found the replacement for DnD before I even really got started on Dnd.

Has anyone played this PnP RPG before?

What I have read so far, I really like it. The Career system is really cool. Plus the setting is just great, along with the magic system. Really, pretty much everything.

This afternoon, we got our characters all created. My wife is an Elf Hunter, my oldest boy is a Human Charcoal-Burner, my youngest boy is a Dwarf Seaman, and I am a Dwarf Militiaman.

Warhammer is a very dangerous world, with the critical hits being able to just simply annihilate the enemy ("fatalities"). No real need for miniatures, either.

The only thing, I wish that I had went with this one before I got into DnD...would have saved me money!!

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »

Get realms of Sorcery asap as well - its THE supplement to Warhammer FRPG.

I used to run a website where I interviewed various people in the business of making PnP RPGS, and got this one for free (review copy) back in the day, and its excellent... I still lovingly remember the spell that required you to have a "fingerbone of a goodaligned cleric" as an ingredient - good stuff! :-D

But yes, the setting is great, and the system actually works pretty damn well.

Magic is dangerous as well, which makes it fun, and the fact that it ISNT your cookie-cutter fantasy world makes it even more interesting. This is "low-fantasy" at its highest..eh... :-D

A new one
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:16:44 AM »

The warhammer world, is very definitely rich, and deeply detailed.
* TheAtomicKid looks over at his hardcover of the rules, and some various additional works.

Btw, those critical hit tables were designed by Rick 'The Chainsaw' Priestley.... and now you know how he got his nickname smile

Atomic
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 15, 2009, 06:25:22 AM

This is "low-fantasy" at its highest..eh... :-D

I've had some big discussions with various people over this. I agree that it's low-fantasy, but it would be even more appropriate to call it dark fantasy. Some people seem to insist that it's high-fantasy since it contains magic, dragons (well, sort of), and so on, but that would be missing the role of those aspects in the world (using magic is dangerous and is likely to get you lynched by an angry mob. Dragons are almost extinct.).

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is a great RPG system and setting. As long as you don't go into it expecting D&D, you'll love it. It's more about surviving in a hostile of cosmic horrors than about venturing into dungeons and finding treasure. If you try the latter, you're likely to end up in an asylum with a couple of missing limbs (and potentially a couple of extra ones brought on by mutation) and some kind of strange madness.

The Warhammer world is a world in which humanity WILL lose in the end. It's just a question of how long they can hold out first.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 04:01:44 AM »

we finally got the characters all rolled up...finally.

Tomorrow evening we plan on having our first actual session (the starter adventure in the core book).

My wife is an Elvish Apprentice Wizard.

My oldest son is a Human Toll Keeper (who only wants to be rich) from a town in Nordland.

My youngest on is a Dwarf Thief.

Anyways...I am pretty excited about finally getting started. Tomorrow evening, hopefully.

PSN: MythicalMino
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »

Never played it but I know it has quite a following in my city. BTW Isn't this the world that the Warhammer Online MMO is set in?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on May 17, 2009, 12:16:44 AM

The warhammer world, is very definitely rich, and deeply detailed.
* TheAtomicKid looks over at his hardcover of the rules, and some various additional works.

Btw, those critical hit tables were designed by Rick 'The Chainsaw' Priestley.... and now you know how he got his nickname smile

Atomic

I really like the MERP critical tables...some really funny ones there:

Slash Critical, 90 -  Disemboweled, dies instantly.  25% chance your weapon is stuck in opponent for 2 rounds

Slash Critical 120 (max roll) - Strike to head destroys brain and makes life difficult for the unfortunate fool. Expires in a heap immediately.

Large Physical Creatures 120 (max roll) - Strike through ear destroys brain.  The unfortuante Lummox dies instantly, and any earwax is removed.

Oh, and don't fumble a weapon, the charts in MERP are just as unforgiving:

Ranged weapon fumble 117-119 - While daydreaming you put your hand in front of the bolt while firing. Lose an Finger  +4 hits. 2 hits per round.

Hand Arms Fumble - 100 - Worst move seen in ages.  -60 to activity from pulled groin.  Foe is stunned 2 rounds laughing.

MERP had it's moments..but man is it a grandaddy of RPGS.  I don't miss playing it (though at 13, we never really figured out how to play it properly)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 11, 2009, 06:56:27 PM

Never played it but I know it has quite a following in my city. BTW Isn't this the world that the Warhammer Online MMO is set in?

Well... sort of. The devs will tell you that yes, this is the world their game is set in. The truth is slightly more complex.

Warhammer has always consisted of two systems: Warhammer Fantasy Battle (WHFB, the miniatures game with massive armies clashing against each other) and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WHFRP, the roleplaying game). Traditionally, the settings for these two games have been different. In WHFB, the world was brighter and more heroic, with the leaders of great nations heroically leading charges into enemy formations while riding on griphons, dragons, or similar creatures. In WHFRP, the world was darker and more corrupt. The same leaders that were heroic in WHFB were probably corrupt and in league with chaos here, and if they tried to go anywhere near a griphon it would probably bite their arms off (and dragons are pretty much extinct).

Then WHFRP 2nd edition came along and mixed things up a bit. It took elements from both settings and attempted to merge them without removing too much of the essence of either. It was generally considered a success, particularly because it left things open enough that fans of either setting could ignore most of the other one and retain the tone of the game they wanted.

Still, even with the merging taking place in 2nd edition, the setting used in the MMORPG has little in common with WHFRP, either edition. It's almost exclusively based on WHFB, something that is particularly evident in the way everyone is a hero (for their faction) of great power even at the beginning, the world is (mostly) black and white, and magic and monsters are very high-fantasy (flashy and powerful) where WHFRP is decidedly low-fantasy (or dark fantasy, a sub-genre of low-fantasy that is hotly debated by some).

Just so that I don't confuse you too much though: Geographically, the two settings are pretty much identical (with a few minor changes). Many of the same NPCs are present in both settings (though they may be dramatically different from their counterpart).

I also predict that someone is going to charge into this thread and accuse this post of being hopelessly wrong. That's a problem with Warhammer: The fans can't really agree about what the setting really is. It's too muddled in its own complexities and editions by now. The explanation I've typed above is simplified.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:41 AM »

Yes, what characterized the setting was that it was fantasy, but your most dangerous opponents were generally human (or something that once was). If you come across true "monsters" in WFRP you'd typically do the same things you'd do in Call of Cthulhu: a) run b) babble incoherently while slapping yourself in the face c) sit in a corner whilst drooling profusely

I exaggerate, but you get the idea. You're clearly using the newer rules, based on the career choices, and I'm not familiar with those. WFRP is one of my favorite games, along with Earthdawn and TORG, and certainly inspired me quite a bit.

BTW, you simply cannot have a WFRP campaign without someone setting fire to your boat. It's the law. Speaking of which, is the old campaign compatible at all with the newer version or has it been updated by anybody?

Quote from: TiLT on May 18, 2009, 01:36:34 PM

I've had some big discussions with various people over this. I agree that it's low-fantasy, but it would be even more appropriate to call it dark fantasy. Some people seem to insist that it's high-fantasy since it contains magic, dragons (well, sort of), and so on, but that would be missing the role of those aspects in the world (using magic is dangerous and is likely to get you lynched by an angry mob. Dragons are almost extinct.).

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is a great RPG system and setting. As long as you don't go into it expecting D&D, you'll love it. It's more about surviving in a hostile of cosmic horrors than about venturing into dungeons and finding treasure. If you try the latter, you're likely to end up in an asylum with a couple of missing limbs (and potentially a couple of extra ones brought on by mutation) and some kind of strange madness.

The Warhammer world is a world in which humanity WILL lose in the end. It's just a question of how long they can hold out first.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:24:34 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 06:03:56 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 29, 2009, 12:20:41 AM

Yes, what characterized the setting was that it was fantasy, but your most dangerous opponents were generally human (or something that once was). If you come across true "monsters" in WFRP you'd typically do the same things you'd do in Call of Cthulhu: a) run b) babble incoherently while slapping yourself in the face c) sit in a corner whilst drooling profusely

I exaggerate, but you get the idea. You're clearly using the newer rules, based on the career choices, and I'm not familiar with those. WFRP is one of my favorite games, along with Earthdawn and TORG, and certainly inspired me quite a bit.

BTW, you simply cannot have a WFRP campaign without someone setting fire to your boat. It's the law. Speaking of which, is the old campaign compatible at all with the newer version or has it been updated by anybody?

Quote from: TiLT on May 18, 2009, 01:36:34 PM

okay, I cant rmeember if I asked you this before Misguided, but..werent you the guy who made Children of the Sun?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 06:29:51 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 29, 2009, 12:20:41 AM

Speaking of which, is the old campaign compatible at all with the newer version or has it been updated by anybody?

I think most of the old Warhammer campaigns and scenarios have been updated by fans to be compatible with the new edition. The two versions are similar enough that it doesn't cause too many problems converting directly, but you'd have to be careful as some assumptions from the old edition are gone now (such as the naked dwarf syndrome. Good riddance!).

Addendum: I guess it goes without saying, but with the recent popularity of Blood Bowl on these boards it's worth mentioning that while Blood Bowl takes place in the Warhammer universe, it's in a THIRD version of it, completely separate from both WHFRP and WHFB. Confused yet?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:32:20 AM by TiLT » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 01:31:12 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 29, 2009, 06:03:56 AM

okay, I cant rmeember if I asked you this before Misguided, but..werent you the guy who made Children of the Sun?

Yeah, that would be me (hence the forum name...been using it since the Misguided days).
Still trying to figure out what to be when I grow up.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 01, 2009, 01:31:12 AM

Quote from: Razgon on June 29, 2009, 06:03:56 AM

Yeah, that would be me (hence the forum name...been using it since the Misguided days).
Still trying to figure out what to be when I grow up.

thought so - I actually have your game...loved the book, unfortuantely, never got around to trying it out.

Too bad the genre kinda died out besides DnD...

A new one
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »

I appreciate that, thanks. I remain very proud of the work that went into it, despite the economics. In some ways our timing couldn't have been worse. The market was already rather soft because of CCGs. Then d20 came along. I thought we had a chance to be the "other game" but then Exalted seemed to explode in popularity out of nowhere.

*shrug*

I learned a hell of a lot in the process, so I can't really complain. Turning 40 this year and still trying to figure out what to be when I grow up biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: