http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 01:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War of the Ring  (Read 1473 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »

has anyone seen this game?  its a few years old and VERY out of print.  i recently wanted to grab it to satisfy my board game geeky-ness but it is impossible to locate.  anyone frequent a game shop that maybe has a dusty copy on the shelf?  if you do can you set me up with a phone number or address to said game store?

(there was a tempting ebay offer with no bids, 100 dollars with 40 odd paints but i just dont like ebay and at this point i am not partial to used)
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »

Fantasy Flight is supposedly coming out with a Collector's Edition in August.  Until then, you're stuck with paying OOP prices.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:26:11 PM »

I was poised to pick this up from the FLGS, had talked to one of the guys at the store. OOS, but he was "sure, can get it, no problem". Next day, called back, talked with another employee that had been talking with anyone and everyone trying to fullfil another order, had the option to go on a waiting list. There is the potential of a reprint sometime early Q1, but nothing concrete. Everything I've been reading has said that FFG is trying to secure a reprint but is having to negotiate with the Italians for licensing... I don't understand how that works, but it looks like somehow FFG doesn't have sole rights for printing. (Anyone who has the full skinny on that, feel free to chime in.)

Collectors Edition is scheduled for August. Not sure on the final pricing for it when it drops, but from what I've been reading it will be significant. For the current edition, you could luck out and find an online retailer or FGS that has it in stock, but it would be a needle in a haystack. As stated, there is ebay, but any bidding on it will probably be fierce and get fiercer as it gets harder and harder to find.

I was bummed to not be able to pick it up, but I didn't really want to wait for a reprint that may or may not hit. Plus, there is that Collectors Ed looming on the horizon.

Best Buy was more than happy to relieve me of the money making this an issue. icon_confused
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »

The deal with the Italians is that an Italian company called Nexus owns the game.  FFG is simply the US publisher, and I imagine that their publishing rights may have expired, meaning they'll have to negotiate a new contract.  I imagine that they will, but that also means that it could be a while before we see a reprint.

As for the collector's edition, it's going to be expensive.  They're talking painted minis (and there's a ton), a bigger board (it was already damn big), tarot-sized cards, and other stuff.  I think the minimum I heard was $250, and that was before the USD took a header, so expect quite a bit more.

The game itself is fantastic, and is worth hunting down a copy.  It's one of my favorite board games.  I keep my copy next to my desk at work so it can be played whenever two of us have a few free hours in the evening.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »

I have no doubt I will buy this... the question is when, and what version.

I really wanted to get a copy of this with my Christmas moola. I've been looking for a good game to draw my wife into a 'less euro' game; although I like Ticket to Ride and Lost Cities, the more thematic deeper games really are my interest. We picked up the Fury of Dracula reprint a while back, I want to get a session going and although I have very limited time right now (night classes) my wife hasn't wanted to sit down to try it out. WoTR looks to be a good fit, since we're both fans of the series and the high fantasy theme is much more of a fit with her.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: