http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 06:40:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hive Awakens...  (Read 5758 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:10:33 AM »

So, I have finally pulled out my Tyranid Boxed Set and have started putting it together.  I will document the slow forming of my hive in this thread.  Can't wait to take some time out of my busy schedule to play Warhammer 40k with some of my buddies smile

IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:22:25 PM »

Genestealers with rending claws and extended carapace smile

I used to play tyranids but I liked the shooty / monster units (mainly because I had my hive tyrant professionally painted so I wanted to use it).  My friend played genestealers with warriors and usually did better than me.  It was a glorious sight to see when he ran his genestealers into SM and IG vehicles and ripped them apart smile
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »

Welcome to 40k!! I have a tyranid army myself, still need to finish painting it.  They are a blast to paint and play.  Have fun!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »

Sweet! Look forward to seeing your progress. Reminds me that I need to order a couple boxes and/or sprues of genestealers soon. With easier access to Space Marine Terminators starting next week (Black Reach box set), my plans to revitalize Space Hulk at my gaming store come one step closer to fruition!

Lately, I've been assembling vehicles to add to my home-brewed Armored Krumpany codex. Just a few finishing touches needed on the The Belcha (a cross between a Trukk and a Hellhound)...

And I'll be finishing up the Wrecka (not picture) as soon as I can figure out what to do with the engine/exhaust/fender area. It's currently stumping me at the moment.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 05:03:34 PM »

That is awesome smile  How long did it take ya to put that together?

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 09:02:45 PM »

Thanks. icon_biggrin I'm a Big Mek at heart. Took about 4-5 hours for the first draft build. Another 3-4 to tweak it to what you see above. I'd say a day's work, but I really needed the time away from it to come up with that second set of ideas. Honestly, I think that's where I'm at with the Wrecka. I've taken most of the day off from it and will look at it with fresh eyes in the AM.

Need to hurry up though if I want to make this codex look snazzy. I've got 5 different tanks to finish. And 4 more support vehicles. A couple different units of boyz. At least two Apocalypse vehicles. The Grotkodesantniki... All of which will need to be painted and photographed! Argh... I'ma go go cry now. crybaby

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:10:34 AM »

Whoa smile  That looks to be a lot of work.  I just need to sit down and knock out my boxed set.  I did find a hive tyrant online for cheap which I am hoping to win.  That should add some more oomph to the army.  I think I need a lot more of the little guys too Tongue

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »

If your local shop can still get it, The Endless Swarm was a helluva deal. As is this one. Not sure if The War Store gets 20% off on Apocalypse sets, but if they do, it's an absolute steal. I've been getting the bulk of my purchases from The War Store ever since the LGS came under new ownership who dropped our "regulars" discount from 20% to 10%. Their service is quick and reliable, and the time they botched an order, they sent what I'd actually ordered that day... and let me keep the blister that was wrong!

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »

I picked up a set of Cadian Shock Troops, a Baneblade, a Sentinel, and a heavy weapons team today Tongue  Gonna try to mess around with the IG  a bit.  I would love to field a mechanized battalion or just a very tank heavy IG army smile

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 12:00:42 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 01, 2008, 09:35:23 AM

I picked up a set of Cadian Shock Troops, a Baneblade, a Sentinel, and a heavy weapons team today Tongue  Gonna try to mess around with the IG  a bit.  I would love to field a mechanized battalion or just a very tank heavy IG army smile

If that's the case, then this is the best deal GW ever made.  icon_wink If I hadn't scratch-built 12 tank chassis right before they announced it, I would've been all over that deal with the release of Apocalypse.

I've always been interested in IG, just never bit the bullet on 'em. Working with Orks makes me hesitant to do another horde-style army. However, the rumors of plastic great-coated infantry (Steel Legion, most likely) with the release of the 5th edition IG Codex does make me salivate. Until then, I'll have to make do with Orks and Ravenwing.

Speaking of Orks, I more-or-less finished my first Wrecka yesterday...

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »

Crayolasmoker, is it possible to field an armored company?  I know an old chapter approved had the rules in it for an armored company, but is that still legal?

Dude, the wrecka looks awesome smile  The baneblade is kinda nuts to put together.  As soon as it finished up, I will post a picture.  That thing is gonna be crazy to paint.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 01, 2008, 04:16:42 PM

Crayolasmoker, is it possible to field an armored company?  I know an old chapter approved had the rules in it for an armored company, but is that still legal?

AFAIK, Armored Companies are still legal army lists, as I know the latest revision been approved for use in this month's 'Ard Boyz tournament. However, in 5th edition, the Armored Company is fatally flawed. 5th edition states that only Troops choices can be scoring units. 5th edition also states that vehicles do not count as scoring. The only Troop choice available to an Armored Company is the Leman Russ Battle Tank.

Current speculation has the Armored Company list being phased out except as an Apocalypse formation with the next IG codex, yet giving said codex the ability to run a tank heavy, fully mechanized list. GW's current trend of having special characters re-organize the force org chart (Master of the Ravenwing = bikes as troops, Ghazghkull Thraka = one Meganobz or Nobz unit as a Troops choice, etc.) would make this easily possible - either by doctrine (if they keep that system) or by having Commander Archibald "Stug" Sherman allow the player to pick Troop choices from both the Troop list and the Heavy list.

It's almost a certainty that the ability to amass tanks willy-nilly, and still maintain a few squads of IG in Chimera for scoring units, will be in the next book.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:10:01 PM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 11:59:32 PM »

Sweet, I need my armored company Tongue  If not, a mechanized company is good enough...until all the Chimeras get shot up.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 01:23:52 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 01, 2008, 11:59:32 PM

Sweet, I need my armored company Tongue  If not, a mechanized company is good enough...until all the Chimeras get shot up.

You should check out this 'Ard Boyz army list for an interesting combo of Russes and Raiders to create a solid wall of mechanized AV14. It's near genius.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 04:15:55 AM »

See, the problem with that one is that I have to field sisters of battle Tongue  Well, I just got home from work...time to put the rest of that baneblade together smile

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 08:01:47 AM »

Here is the almost complete BaneBlade...it is just missing a few bits:

http://gallery.me.com/jerome.koehler#100118&bgcolor=black&view=grid

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »

Looks great! Have any idea how you're going to paint it?

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »

Not yet, gonna prime it black though and go from there.  Traditional camo is nice but it is overdone.  So many choices Tongue

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »

There looks to have been a pricing mistake on GW's webpage...they listed the emperor's fist for only 90 dollars and had another one for 275 dollars.  Lets see what happens.  I would be happy to get 10 leman russ battletanks for cheap Tongue

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 01:03:15 AM »

Wow! Looking at the website, I see what you're seeing/saying, but I can almost guarantee that if you order the $90 one you'll get the box with 3 Leman Russ in it. They have two $90 boxes - one with 3 Basilisks, one with 3 Russes, and the $275 box with 10 Russes. All great deals, honestly.

If I hadn't already been on the phone with 'em earlier today (some incorrect sprue quantities in the Imperial City box I got at Christmas) I'd be seriously tempted to place an order, then call 'em to verify that I'm getting the 10 tanks and see what they say...  icon_twisted

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 02:29:32 AM »

Yeah, I should give them a call smile  I will wait to see what happens.  they should send me an email or something telling me that that is the incorrect item smile  We will see what happens.  I am looking for a place that sells a nice air brush here in Hawai'i so I can start painting my models.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 03:15:22 AM »

Awesome pics guys.  I think this thread is going to motivate me to start building my necron and tyranid armies up again smile

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 04:49:39 AM »

Faide..the hive mind beckons you to return Tongue  I just picked up an airbrush and a compressor today.  Time to start priming the models smile

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 01:57:08 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 04, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Faide..the hive mind beckons you to return Tongue  I just picked up an airbrush and a compressor today.  Time to start priming the models smile

Ooh, I'm jealous. Think I might ask for one of those for Christmas.  icon_wink

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 06:09:33 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on September 05, 2008, 01:57:08 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on September 04, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Ooh, I'm jealous. Think I might ask for one of those for Christmas.  icon_wink

Now I just need to learn how to use it correctly.  I have been reading guides and found out I have a dual action airbrush (I can control the amount of ink and control the airflow) smile  Won't be able to use it till this weekend though.  The other good news is that my sentinel is up and ready smile  I really need to get back to my 'nids smile

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 09:34:02 PM »

Got some painting done on the Belcha this week. Enough to enter in the Black Reach Release Party painting comp at the LGS. Certainly not enough to win it.  A few details to pick out yet, but I think it's coming along nicely.

Still trying to figure out what color fuel should be visible through the "fuel gauge"...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:31:26 PM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »

Holy crap, that is amazing!  How much time did you spend on that?  Just curious smile  Again, that paint job is utterly amazing smile  BTW, I got the email stating that the price was incorrect frown  They didn't honor the price even though they made the booboo Tongue  All good I guess smile

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 11:42:58 PM »

That sucks. Though I guess it was inevitable. With the GW price increase, I doubt they can take too many $185 losses.  icon_wink

The painting took a few hours. Pretty much all GW's Foundation paints as the base (VGC for the metallics), some Baal Red and Thrakka Green washes applied to the red and flesh areas, respectively, and a very liberal dousing with Devlan Mud. A few highlights with the base colors and some of the brighter VGC colors and that's the final product.

As you can see from the color names above, the new GW washes did the majority of the work. They'll never let me win a Golden Daemon, but they help get things to a mid/high table-top standard in very short order. I plan on going back to buy the rest of the set. They're really that good.

Here's an article that shows 'em in action. Page 2 and 4 are particularly enlightening. I like 'em better than the Future Floor Wax method, as I find they have better flow control and dry matte. The only real drawback to the GW washes over something like Future is that you're stuck with the colors GW makes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:44:54 PM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 03:04:30 PM »

Wow that looks nice!
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »

Incredible job there Crayola!    Those look fantastic.   I think when the tyranid's and the Necro's are done for me I'll probably go Orc!!! heheh

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 02:01:28 AM »

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm hoping ROTC doesn't mind this becoming the unofficial "40K Update Thread." If he does, I'll gladly start a new one. (And am hoping others can/will start posting their stuff, too.)

I honestly can't believe I've been so productive lately. Guess I've been re-bitten by the bug. And with my little brother's win at the painting comp (Best Painted Character for his awesome Space Marine Chaplain) he's been bitten as well. I'd forgotten how much fun it was to bounce stuff off him. Revitalizes us both.

Anywho, the LGS is having a "Space Marine Chapter or Ork Clan Design Contest" to coincide with the Assault on Black Reach release. The gist - use the contents of the box to design a loyalist beakie chapter or an ork clan with at least one painted mini as proof of concept. The fluff, or rules, or whatever you want to use to explain your clan is up to you. Being bereft of ideas for Space Marines, I pulled an old idea out of my head for the Orks and spent today painting - I'll let the pics and "fluff" speak for themselves:

Dear Mom,

Another world, another letter. This time we're stationed on 6319. Like Catacha, it's proximity to the sun makes it primarily a jungle world. Unlike Catacha, not all the vegetation is trying to kill us. Unless you count the Orks.

I know it must seem like that's all we ever fight. There were those "Bad Moons" on Kalk whose yellow armor made 'em easy targets against the black moon rock. There were the "Speed Freaks" on Rojo Prime, zooming 'round in their red trucks and buggies. There were even those Deathskulls a while back. The ones that tried to kill me with Johnny's own lasgun! But these new orks... they're the creepiest I've ever seen.

They emerge from the mists of this dreadful world at dusk, red eyes glowing with feral hunger. That's all you see at first. The eyes. Starting as red pinpricks in the distance, they get larger as the hulking shadows draw near, revealing a face... not the dark shade of green we've grown accustomed to, but stark white! I told you that some of the Deathskulls painted their faces blue, which seemed almost comical. But the way these orks smear their faces in white, it's like watching a floating skull. A floating skull with glowing eyes and pointy teeth. Just as their ghostly visage emerges from the shadows, a deafening bellow of "Waaaaaaaaaagh!" splits the air, and the battle begins.

Some of the men say this bellow comes from "The Albinork" - a towering monstrosity double the size of a normal ork and ten times as powerful. They say he's got a big metal claw for a hand that matches the Commander's power fist in sheer power! They say half of his skull's been replaced with cobbled together bionics.... And they say he's not green! He's solid white. Not from paint, they say he's born that way! An albino ork! Who could imagine such a thing? I bet that's why these orks paint their faces white. As tribute to their leader.

I won't go into detail about the fighting, because I know it just makes you worry. Suffice it to say, we're holding our own against these "whiteskins." They don't fight much differently than the other Orks we've faced, and for that I'm grateful. I'll take predictable brutality over tricks and traps any day. Billy overheard some brass talking the other day and they think we'll start to take the offensive in the next couple weeks.

I can't wait. The sooner we get off this rock, the better. I'll keep you posted. And thanks again for the cookies,

Your son,
PFC Archibald "Bunker" Bobnowski - Catachan 8th

I turn it all in on Saturday, but won't know the results 'till Sunday. Wish me luck.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:10:30 AM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 03:07:56 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on September 12, 2008, 02:01:28 AM

I turn it all in on Saturday, but won't know the results 'till Sunday. Wish me luck.  icon_biggrin

That's some really great work, particularly on the warpaint.  Good luck!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 01:49:08 AM »

Results? smile

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 02:47:32 AM »

Took "Best Overall" in the competition, beating out competition from both the Ork Klan and Space Marine Chapter categories. Got a $20 box of my choosing, so I got some Scout Marines for my little brother - who took Best Painted and got... some other beakie box. Assault Squad maybe? "Most Original Ork Clan" went to a guy who spoofed the concept of an Ork 'Green' Tide, having them led by the environmentally conscious Warboss who defeated global warming - Aalgor. I didn't get to read his fluff, but I hear it was quite funny.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 03:58:01 AM »

Congratulations smile  My 'nids are coming together nicely.  I primed my Carnifex yesterday only have a couple more units to prime till I can paint them.  I am going to use the dipping method I have read about on a couple of sites.  Makes finishing them up pretty dang easy smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: