http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 09:37:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures  (Read 2660 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:40:50 AM »

I've begun playing and already have a fair amount of Wave 1. Will likely be getting a chunk of Wave 2 and 3 this month.

Would love to get some discussion going though since I don't have too many people to play with yet. I'm near Indianapolis, IN and would love to play more.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »

Looks like there's a guy using Meetup to try and get a group together.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »

I've had the starter box in my hand a dozen times, contemplating a purchase.  Ditto for the super cool Millenium Falcon model.  But I just know if I spend $30 on this I will end up spending $300 within a week.  Aside from the gameplay itself looking right up my alley, and aside from the models looking really nifty, I just love that they're making an effort to keep all the ships in scale.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 10, 2013, 12:28:45 PM

I've had the starter box in my hand a dozen times, contemplating a purchase.  Ditto for the super cool Millenium Falcon model.  But I just know if I spend $30 on this I will end up spending $300 within a week.  Aside from the gameplay itself looking right up my alley, and aside from the models looking really nifty, I just love that they're making an effort to keep all the ships in scale.

Did you know that the miniatures game is based on the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games for the PC? They even included Maarek Stele, the pilot you fly in TIE Fighter, as a pilot here. One of the upcoming ships is Dash Rendar's ship in the Dark Forces game.

Just wanted to help break down your willpower. You can thank me later. Tongue
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »

I have 2 starter sets, the Falcon, 2 Y-wings, and the Tie Interceptor. And no one to play it with.   crybaby
On the plus side, the models are awesome cool and make a great display on my bookshelf. Especially the Falcon. If nothing else, you should get that - even if only for display purposes.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 10, 2013, 12:35:22 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 10, 2013, 12:28:45 PM

I've had the starter box in my hand a dozen times, contemplating a purchase.  Ditto for the super cool Millenium Falcon model.  But I just know if I spend $30 on this I will end up spending $300 within a week.  Aside from the gameplay itself looking right up my alley, and aside from the models looking really nifty, I just love that they're making an effort to keep all the ships in scale.
One of the upcoming ships is Dash Rendar's ship in the Dark Forces game.

Kyle Katarn, not Dash Rendar. Strange choice for a ship though, but a bold move that shows they have some true fans of all things Star Warsy at FFG.

To add to the discussion: I bought Star Wars: Star Warriors on Ebay 2 years ago, right after FFG announced their upcoming X-wing Miniatures game. Star Warriors is a game from the 80's, from an era when you had to have a degree in advanced mathematics to play a single round of this game.

After some playtests, I've finally made a nice revision of the rules and I love it. It's a bit more complicated compared with X-Wing Miniatures: there are 'proper' shields (that can be angled, and actually decrease damage from shots), a front and rear arc, several ways to get damaged and repair damage as well, auxiliary power, R2 units, gunners, Force Rules, asteroid rules, capital ship rules... But no cool looking miniatures slywink

I'll post a session of it once I've finished with it. It may not be X-Wing Miniatures, but session reports of X-Wings and Tie Fighters are always fun to read I reckon.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:38:13 PM by The Rocketman » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on September 10, 2013, 01:22:23 PM

Kyle Katarn, not Dash Rendar.

icon_redface Dammit, how could I have messed up something like that. Good catch!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »

I absolutely love the game.  I have two of each of the expansion ships, with the exception of one of the Firespray and one of the YT-1300, and I think I bought two more each of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter besides what came in the starter.  Very much looking forward to the next round of ships coming out.  I like it so much, I've even been considering getting a custom foam insert thing made to house all the ships I own plus the ones I would buy of the next round from Battle Foam.  Probably will bite on that eventually.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »

Yeah, I've got to jump in and say I'm a big fan of this game.  I don't know that I'll be jumping into the capital ships, but I do love the snub nose skirmishes.

I've never even played a scenario.  Wil Wheaton and co made one look fun, though.

I recently picked up Attack Wing as well, which is the Star Trek version.  No, they are not compatible.  The ship models are nowhere near as good, which is a shame, but they've made the crew cards a much more important aspect of gameplay, which is very cool.  Otherwise, it plays basically the same, with some terminology changes (for example, the barrel roll is now a shimmer move that ships can do while cloaked, giving the impression that they weren't where you thought they were).  I haven't gotten this to the table yet, but I hope to do so this week.

Overall, though, I expect to put more money into X-Wing than Attack Wing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »

I have one other friend that I convinced to buy the core set and fortunately he likes the game.  Unfortunately due to both of us having families, work, etc. coordinating regular games has been a bit of a challenge.  I find I do a lot more reading about the game than playing frown

I still haven't tried this out yet but on BGG there's a thread about an X-Wing AI web based applet that you can fly against.  Here's the link to both the applet and the thread:

applet

BGG thread

Funny thing was that in convincing my friend to buy into this I told him that "Sure, people were buying a whole bunch of ships to do things like recreate the Battle of Yavin or Endor but we can be more reasonable and just play with a few ships."  That said, he bought the Falcon and Firespray while I own...

2 X-Wing core sets
1 X-Wing expansion
2 A-Wing expansions
2 Y-Wing expansions
1 TIE Fighter expansion
2 TIE Advanced expansions
4 TIE Interceptors
1 Falcon
1 Firespray

And when wave 3 comes in I'll add 2 TIE Bombers, 2 B-Wings, an Imperial Shuttle and a HWK-290.  Still no regrets!

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »

never really payed attention to this game, mainly because I doubt I know anyone locally who would play, but looking at the miniatures.... I may have to grab a Falcon and Slave I just to have on my desk.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 10, 2013, 06:28:05 PM

never really payed attention to this game, mainly because I doubt I know anyone locally who would play, but looking at the miniatures.... I may have to grab a Falcon and Slave I just to have on my desk.

They do look good.  And so do the X-Wings, TIE Fighters and the other ships.  Before you know it...

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »

CK lives close enough for a gaming weekend Tongue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 06:00:01 AM »

Anyone else pick up the Wave 3 ships?  I got one of each, but haven't gotten a game in with them yet.  I had traditionally been buying one of the large ships and two of the smaller ships, but with so many ships out now, I figured one of each ship was good enough.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 06:30:50 AM »

2 Tie Bombers, 2 B Wings, 1 Shuttle, 2 Hwk-290, have used the shuttle and bombers so far.  Like them quite a bit.  Will test out the rest this week
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 06:35:19 AM »

Haven't had time. But tomorrow a friend might want to try the game out. Might give me an excuse to pickup the new stuff.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »

I got one of each of the new ships on Friday, but I'm planning on getting an additional TIE Bomber and B-Wing. The store I order these from sold out within the hour whenever they got in new stock, so I bought what was available. Looks like this game is pretty popular.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 22, 2013, 06:30:50 AM

2 Tie Bombers, 2 B Wings, 1 Shuttle, 2 Hwk-290, have used the shuttle and bombers so far.  Like them quite a bit.  Will test out the rest this week
Same order here. Played them three or for times already. The bomber fully loaded is dangerous but hard to capitalize on, the b wing is beastly but slow, great ship. The hwk I like a lot more than a lot if people. The turret really helps a lot. The shuttle I haven't been able to use very well yet. I'll have to try some new things with it.

I also pre ordered two imperial ace packs... They just look too good.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »

I heard the support ships work great with the bombers due to their ability to transfer target locks.

I'm super interested in the Epic rules, kinda hoping for full 4'x6' table play along with those cap ships.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:23:22 PM by Turtle » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »

This is where my collection currently stands.

and before anyone else asks, yes that is a Wookie Hoodie in the background. slywink

it matches her backpack, so we had to get it. Though we passed on the Teemo costume...  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 23, 2013, 05:07:14 PM

ah, the essentials for gaming goodness:  flour, pop, taco stuff, pasta, miniatures and whiskey.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »

Harkonis, you bastard.  Why did you have to go and post pictures.  Seeing your little fleets in formation, especially the scale of the Falcon and the Lambda Shuttle in comparison with the fighters, something core to my being is getting stirred up.  I now want to spend several thousand dollars on these miniatures.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »

Was able to get everything except for the shuttle into these two cases.

Open and closed shots of the two cases:

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »

Those cases worked out pretty well..
What ones are they?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »

Stanley 014725r
Got mine from Home Depot online
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »

Seeing that makes me wish I had kept the little plastic inserts that come with the ship.  Pretty soon here I am probably going to pull the trigger on that custom foam thing.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 26, 2013, 01:23:02 PM

Seeing that makes me wish I had kept the little plastic inserts that come with the ship.  Pretty soon here I am probably going to pull the trigger on that custom foam thing.

I considered it, but they increase the storage space a bit too much for me. My ships move around a bit in their plano boxes, but I am ok with that. On the flip side I have to use 3 plano boxes to hold pretty much the same amount of stuff (I have 1 of each SKU and a second base set)... though mine come in a handy dandy carrying case. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3FKTO
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:36:55 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »

Wave 5 Announced

I cannot resist.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »

Whoa...I don't know how I missed this thread.  The ships look awesome as just SW collectibles.  The quality and detailing looks good from the pictures.  I need to get that Millennium Falcon asap.   
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 13, 2014, 05:01:37 PM

Whoa...I don't know how I missed this thread.  The ships look awesome as just SW collectibles.  The quality and detailing looks good from the pictures.  I need to get that Millennium Falcon asap.   

The models do indeed look amazing.  I've never been very good at painting miniatures, so it's heaven having all of these look so good right out of the box.  It also makes it really really hard to not spend way too much money on a game I rarely actually play.  But then again, I've bought models of Star Wars ships in the past just because they looked cool, so I don't feel all that guilty for building a collection.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 13, 2014, 05:25:42 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on June 13, 2014, 05:01:37 PM

Whoa...I don't know how I missed this thread.  The ships look awesome as just SW collectibles.  The quality and detailing looks good from the pictures.  I need to get that Millennium Falcon asap.    

The models do indeed look amazing.  I've never been very good at painting miniatures, so it's heaven having all of these look so good right out of the box.  It also makes it really really hard to not spend way too much money on a game I rarely actually play.  But then again, I've bought models of Star Wars ships in the past just because they looked cool, so I don't feel all that guilty for building a collection.
No guilt here.  Those are really good looking miniature SW models.  I already have a few in my checkout cart at Amazon, and I don't even plan on playing the game.  Those are some of the best, fully detailed and painted models I've seen of SW ships.  I don't have the patience or interest to paint, so these are perfect.   If the game turns out to be fun, even better.  
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »

I'm going to get the base game and an obscene amount of miniatures this year at Gencon

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »

I've got the base game and the Millennium Falcon otw from amazon.  The force is strong with Hark's collection.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »

Well, I've bought at least one of everything, but now that we're just about out of original trilogy ships I guess I can just lock up my wallet and...

Oh.  I see.  Never mind.

Well played, FFG.  Well played.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:24:41 PM by wonderpug » Logged
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »

Sigh, I won't be able to make it home from GenCon.....

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »

I was wondering how they were going to incorporate the Star Destroyers and such.   It seemed impossible.

Just change the scale.  Very clever.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »

UNPAINTED

just saved me a bunch of money
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 10, 2014, 08:11:30 AM

UNPAINTED

just saved me a bunch of money

Just the fighter wings are unpainted, but yeah, that's a shame. Even a super simple paint job would make me happier than unpainted.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »

To be frank, all the TIEs would need are splotches of black on the solar panels and cockpit.

Likewise, splotches of red, or whatever color on the X-Wings. They're super small fighters that are unpainted, really just 3D tokens at this point.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 04:13:38 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 10, 2014, 08:49:44 PM

To be frank, all the TIEs would need are splotches of black on the solar panels and cockpit.

Likewise, splotches of red, or whatever color on the X-Wings. They're super small fighters that are unpainted, really just 3D tokens at this point.

Yeah, that's not a deal breaker for me at all.

Ooh, something just occurred to me. The systems are different (Armada uses a double turn move plotting mechanic and a weird snake-like movement plotter), but maybe it'll be more possible to play this with Star Trek Attack Wing, somehow.  Probably not, but it would be neat.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:38:35 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: