http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 09:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Miniatures & RPG are Returning - Publisher Unknown  (Read 1548 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »

From an article at Mongoose Publishing it was revealed that a new Game publisher has negotiated the Star Wars game license. Mongoose was in the running, but in their article they stated that the gaming company that acquired the license isn't known for its miniatures. That's led many to speculate that Fantasy Flight Games is likely the new publisher. For those who aren't familiar with the more recent games; they were published by Wizards of the Coast and included a miniatures series and a RPG series entitled Saga. So far the following companies have confirmed they had an interest, but didn't acquire the license.

Mongoose Publishing
Paizo
SJG Games
Green Ronin
White Wolf Publishing
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »

Nothing can beat the old Star Wars D6 system for me. It's such a smooth and cinematic system that has served me well over several campaigns in the past. smile

I fear FFG is going to do something similar to their interpretation of Warhammer, which is to make it an RPG/boardgame hybrid. I don't think Star Wars is very well suited for that kind of thing, as it needs to be much more cinematic and less concerned with stats and placement in battle. Still, this is coming from someone who hates Star Wars D20 with a passion ("Woohoo, I'm a level 4 jedi / level 12 smuggler!").
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »

My experience with WotC's series has strictly been with the Miniatures and the Atlanta Gaming Groups free RPG adaptation (SWM Campaign Edition) of it. SW Miniatures is D20 based, but it's really more of a table top skirmishes game than anything. I've sat down at a few SW Saga RPG tables and I didn't mind the D20 aspect, but I've had a fair amount of exposure to D20 Modern. I did get enough hands on with it to know the recent Saga edition was a big improvement over WotC's previous edition.

If FFG is indeed the holder of the license, I suspect they'll treat SW miniatures in a similar fashion as their Mutant Chronicles series. I haven't every played MC, so I don't know if that's good or bad?  icon_confused My greatest hope is that the miniatures are on the same scale as WotC's, so that the previous figs can be adapted into the new with a bit of modding.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:32:05 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 15, 2011, 09:05:40 PM

Nothing can beat the old Star Wars D6 system for me. It's such a smooth and cinematic system that has served me well over several campaigns in the past. smile

Following another lead I got today, I per chance came across Westend Games' D6 Core System book set on Drive Thru RPG (drivethrurpg.com.) It's 100% free to download, but unfortunately the Star Wars D6 edition is no longer available - just Space. Anyhow I've been reading through the D6 Adveture rules a bit, and the quality of it is very impressive. I can see why many liked the series. I'm curious if the Space D6 edition is anything like Star Wars D6?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:59:08 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: