http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:14:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Forum RPG  (Read 5938 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »

Still out of town, so I haven't yet. I'm also willing to change what I'm doing if need be.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 937


You can't ignore me!!


View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 03:27:49 AM »

Ill try to create a character this weekend.
Logged

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 05:46:07 AM »

And, here we GOOOO!

Well, just giving you a heads up. I'll be starting this tomorrow (technically tonight).

Anyone making their characters can also hold off buying stuff and buy them as the game starts. Otherwise, I'm assembling player characters right now.

The low clanking din of your Ghtroc 720 seems to get louder every day, every clack and clunk picking away at the already fragile nerves of the crew. That, and the smell, the odd mixture of scents that seem to indicate a wet Wookie had stowed away and then promptly died in the ventilation ducts. It was cold, chillingly so, every breath adding to the frost that was forming on as many surfaces as it could.

It's been 3 days the Imperial Star Destroyer had showed up in system, right after your group had just picked up a not so legal package. The drop off was supposed to be in a remote system far, far away from the usual trade lanes and Imperial patrols. But, that had been before the Battle of Yavin, and before the Empire had its biggest toy blown up by the rebels, and were now looking to answer in kind.

The Star Destroyer had showed up just as you left atmosphere, sensor signals blazing, launching probes far and wide across the system. Caught between safe hyperspace distance, and too far to sneak back down to the planet, you cut the power and drifted in low orbit, waiting for the Star Destroyer to leave and probes to power down.

Just as you were about to reach your limit, the Star Destroyer, in typical fashion, dumps its garbage and jumps to hyperspace. With no active signals coming from probes, it seemed the coast was clear. Life support hummed back on to full power, cycling the air once again and churning a warm breeze through the ship. As though from hibernation, you stir from underneath your blankets and get back to work.

All was not safe though, there's still long term probes in passive detection, more than ready to tag your ship as it leaves the system, but also pirates, who might also be looking to make up for lost time with a fresh catch.  To be careful you plot a course that uses the system's gas giant to screen your departure.

As you approach, hyperdrive powering up, you get a faint signal from the looming gas giant below. You struggle to filter the signal, and eventually get.

"EMERGENCY... EMERGENCY... AUTOMATED BEACO-- ... IONSTAR LINES-- ... --CLASS FREIGHTER LOSING POWER, APPROACHING CRUSH DEPTH, ASSISTANCE REQUIRED."
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »

Josiah steps up to the ship's terminals to see if he can't get a better reading on the distress signal..."We need to see how much time they have, I figure we should be able to pick up the freighter on our scanners and calculate from there how fast it is being pulled down by the gravity field of that gas giant.  Of course it could also be a trap set by pirates to lure us into a vulnerable position so we best be on guard.  Perhaps we should also try hailing the vessel to see if anyone is alive on board."
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 07:36:02 AM »

I will need someone to make a sensor check, using their Computers skill to sift through all the noise. It's an Easy check, so just 1 difficulty die, but due to the radiation and thick atmosphere of the gas giant, add one setback die.

Likewise, anyone with Knowledge skills of the Inner Rim might also remember or dig up info about this area.

I can do these rolls for you if you don't have the dice, just pick someone to attempt it, you can also assist if more than one of you has the Computers skill.

For those who don't have defined characters, now would be a good time to chime up if you want to have Computers as a skill.

Also, I just found an interesting resource, an large list of unofficial species you can play as, and I'm allowing the use of these in the game:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bx0pVzywUJWXdodDA2M0pnQk0/edit?pli=1
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:42:48 AM by Turtle » Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »

Yes, we're on the trust system, there's really no reason to skew your own rolls, it just means a less interesting or challenging game.

It's faster that way if you already know how to play. I can do the rolls for anyone who doesn't have the book.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »

Josiah checks the sensors... ((2 success, 2 advantage, 2 threat for a net of 2 success))
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 03:23:23 AM »

From the readings you're getting, it looks like there really is a light freighter, a larger model of its class, in a very low decaying orbit. The ship's life support seems barely functional, and the gas giant's acidic atmosphere is leaking into the ship in parts of the hull. From the more detailed scan, it seems that there are some life signs on board, and the holds are packed with cargo of some sort.

With some creative piloting, you could reach the ship before the situation gets critical, and the docking ring seems intact. But, you'll have to act soon.
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »

Click the reply button and there is a page with all the text formatting options, including color, bold, italics, etc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:49:30 PM by Turtle » Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »

Josiah studies the readings for a minute before turning to the rest of the crew..."Looks like we got some live ones on that freighter, but we don't have much time.  Anyone here a skilled enough pilot to get us in and docked with the freighter before she is crushed?"
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »

Tho's fur ripples slightly. "Don't look at me. I'm better at crashing than flying."
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »

Grumbling, Josiah slinks into the captain's chair..."You would think me keeping this junker running would be enough around here...but no...I need to fly her as well.  Tho, you best be ready to board that craft when we get hooked up to its docking collar!"

Dice Roll - 3 success, 2 Advantage
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:00:43 PM by Arkon » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »

Tho sighs and walks off, checking her blaster pistol and muttering "You would think me trying to block the stench of this dump would be enough around here..."

Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »

Roll 2 more difficulty dice, 1 boost from the extra sensor success earlier, and one setback die for the harsh piloting conditions.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »

Total roll, including earlier results:

4 success, 3 advantage, 2 failure, 1 threat.
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 12:56:59 AM »

With an inordinate amount of groaning from the supports, you turn the ship to start the approach, gravity shifts slightly as the old generator struggles to keep up. Finding the approach vector plotted out on the sensor panel, the first dip into the atmosphere goes by with barely more than a grunt as the ship adjusts to the rising pressure.

After a while, the other freighter comes into view, distant and hazy through tan and green atmosphere. It is listing to the side slightly, narrowly avoiding the cloud bursts of acidic gases bubbling up from the denser atmosphere below. The Ionstar Line light freighter looked more like a heavy freighter miniaturized. It's bulky paneling and cargo bays where etched with grime and now multiple layers of pockmarks where the acidic rains of of the gas giant had brushed its hull. The large frame lumbered through space, seemingly of its own accord and oblivious to the dangers around it.

You've arrived in good time, but still not enough time to dawdle. The ship's orbital decay is accelerating, and you'll barely have enough time to get people out, let alone dig through their holds for "salvage."


Make one more piloting check, difficulty easy, to successfully dock.
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 01:07:37 AM »

Over com: "What the heck is going on up there? I haven't heard this much moaning since...well never mind."
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 01:25:55 AM »

Josiah strains at the controls, trying to deftly maneuver the ship in to dock with the listing freighter..."Come on you bucket of bolts...hold together.  We're almost there, and don't worry I will fix you back up good as new as long as we make it out of here!

Dice Roll: 3 Success 2 Advantage 2 Threat
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 03:48:53 AM »

With a resounding *KONG!* that ripples through the ship, and the subsequent whirring and clicking of the clamps engaging, you successfully dock with the Ionstar light freighter. Setting the autopilot to keep course and help right the freighter, all you can do for now is the tiniest of course corrections as to not strain the already weakened docking clamp.

Two crewmen you haven't bothered to learn the names of gear up alongside you, donning breath masks with air tanks along with their usual utility gear.

You've docked at the starboard docking port, along the center of the ship. Outside the cockpit window, through the haze, you can read the ship's name as you are buffeted by another wave of turbulence, "The Tranquil Voyage." Meanwhile, the first few flecks of smoke waft up from the hull outside the cockpit window as a few patters of acid rain eat at the paint job.

Opening the airlock brings a waft of stale and smelly air, almost devoid of oxygen, as well as a dark interior punctuated by emergency light strips that flicker dimly. An acrid tinge to what air slipped past your breath masks seemed to indicate some level of hull breach.

The docking corridor stretches out in front of you, turning into a junction heading right towards the bow where the cockpit was on this model of freighter, and left to aft portions of the ship where engines and some cargo holds might be.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:51:15 AM by Turtle » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 04:10:03 AM »

"Hey boys," Tho says to the crewmen, "Bring enough to share with the class?"

Figuring there must have been someone in the cockpit to send the distress call, Tho begins heading that way. "Any more word over the radio, Josiah?"
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »

Josiah quickly gets his gear on..."We don't have much time, nothing more came over the radio other than the fading distress call.  Should we split up, or just all head to the right to get to the cockpit?"
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »

As Josiah enters the hull of the listing freighter, he tries to get a sense of how badly damaged the vessel is..."I wonder if I could get her back up and flying before she gets crushed...would never hurt to have two ships!"
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 10:27:46 AM »

You're assumed to have basic gear you'd have on a ship, for all crew, such as breathing masks and oxygen tanks. There's a space suit for everyone. It's all basic and worn down stuff, but it works, for now.

You can't see much from inside the docking corridor of the ship. Your flashlight illuminates the length of it, but the T junction ahead prevents any further investigation without physically exploring. The gravity inside is stable, probably more stable than your own ship under the same load. Your nameless crewmates eye you cautiously, and shrug.

Just then, the floor beneath you shudders as a patch of turbulence rocks the your two conjoined ships. You near distressing sounds coming from the clamp. Deep in the bowels of the Ionstar freighter, you here the sounds of large objects shifting and colliding.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:36:44 AM by Turtle » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

Tho winces at what was clearly a couple of Dianoga fighting over a tasty morsel. "That sounds like a job for...someone who isn't me. I'm heading for the cockpit."
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »

Josiah catches his balance as the vessels jump in the turbulence.  As he approaches the junction, he turns to the left to head towards the engines..."Tho, do your best to get anyone still alive out.  I am going to check on the engines, there may have been a mechanic on board.

Josiah then points to one of the nameless crew..."You're with me you lucky dog, let's move like we got a rancor on our tails!

Josiah takes off at a brisk pace down the corridor.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »

As Josiah approaches the cargo bay and engine room, he calls out..."Anyone still alive in here...If so your ship is in a rapidly decaying orbit of this gas giant and is going to be crushed soon!"

Josiah quickly begins surveying the scene and looking for signs of life.
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 03:20:31 AM »

Argh, okay back. Hit a deadline with a miniature, but it's now printed and headed my way! The print turned out pretty cool, and ridiculously expensive for very high quality print, and sadly I can't use it for casting, but it's an important step because I can base the level of detail in future sculpts based on this print.

Tho heads to the cockpit, flecks of dust and paint float down onto your shoulders and work their way into your fur. As you head down the corridor it bends to where you think the cockpit is, you see one door, slightly ajar, dim red emergency lighting flickers within, showing only a small lounge area with a number of doors leading to adjoining rooms. The corridor you're in extends out farther, with another junction branching off towards the port side of the ship, and another leading to the cockpit according to the small sign.

Josiah, hearing no reply, continues forward towards the aft of the ship, eventually reaching another junction as well, with the corridor extending off into the port side, and a medium sized cargo door half-open, with cargo crates floating unsecured. (Perception 2x Success) You're pretty sure you see another shape, not cargo, actively moving about the cargo hold, but it's difficult to make it out in the lighting and the debris flying about. On this model of freighter, the engineering section is probably past this hold, and through the haze you see two door lights on the opposite end of the room.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 12:43:57 AM »

Josiah unclips his holster and puts a hand on his blaster, and then calls to Tho with his commlink..."Tho, I have movement down here in the cargo hold.  The cargo containers are unsecured which means it is going to be like moving through an asteroid belt, but I am going in to check it out.  Have you found the cockpit?

Without waiting for a response, Josiah cautiously enters the cargo hold.
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 06:44:26 AM »

Deciding the other rooms can wait, Tho follows the sign toward the cockpit.

"Heading that way now. Any signs of survivors?"
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:58 AM »

Josiah:
You feel the gravity shift the moment you enter the cargo hold, it's only a faction of standard gravity here, ducking your head as a spanner floats past on its way to the far wall. Just then, you hear your crewman yell behind you, "Look out, right!"

Coordination Roll total: 3 successes, 1 threat.

Gliding out of the way with serpentine grace, you dodge the large crate speeding your way. Turning around to check grin at your crewman and give the thumbs up, you are pegged in the head by the slow moving wrench you had ducked earlier, giving you 1 Strain. Which is also why you don't immediately notice the security droid clinging to the far wall, leveling its weapon at you as it emits a rather frustrated *beep*.

Make a Vigiliance check for initiative.


Tho:
You reach the cockpit door, it's shut and pressing the open switch yields no movement. The indicator lights for the door are dark and unresponsive, but you can hear some noise from the other side of the door, a kind of thumping as if someone was knocking on the other side.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »

Reeling back from the impact of the wrench, Josiah catches his balance and sets his sights on the droid.  Whatever happens, it needs to happen fast.

Vigilance: 2 success 1 advantage.
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »

"Hey, anybody in there?" calls Tho. She looks around for a control panel to blast. That's how they always do it in the holovids, right?
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »

Tho:
No answer comes, but the thumping continues on the other side of the door. You shoot the nearby control panel, but other than emitting some sparks and eliciting a confused look from your crewman, nothing happens.


Josiah:
The droid's first shot hits the cargo crate you ended up behind, as you draw your own blaster. Strangely enough, the droid's gun was set to stun, as it beeps out a flurry of garbled warnings.

You have the first action of the combat round. You are currently floating in cover behind a cargo crate that you had dodged behind earlier.
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »

"Aaaaaannnnnd open! Guess not. Where's a droid when you need one?"

She turns to the crewman. "Think you can force it?"
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »

Tho:
The crewman shrugs, then takes hold of one side of the cockpit door as you grab the other. With a grunt of effort, the door cracks open slightly, letting smokey wifts of vapors into the corridor that itch on your skin. Then, with a whump, the door flies open, the decayed hydraulics giving way in a sudden burst of air. From the hazy interior of the cockpit, some creature out of nightmares waiting just inside the doorway seems to lunge at you through the fog.

Make a Coordination check to dodge before it tackles you. 2 Difficulty die, and 1 setback die.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:21:47 PM by Turtle » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »

One success, one failure, one threat, one advantage...so I got nothin'

"Not in the face!"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:41:26 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:04 AM »

Josiah yells to the crew with him..."we need to disable this droid, and fast!  Cover me!"

Josiah then turns and sprints toward the droid , thinking back to his time hacking droids on Balmorra, hoping to be able to disable this droid quickly.
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2013, 02:34:15 AM »

Tho:
The thing falls on you, knocking you back onto the floor, pressing its waxy skeletal face inches from yours. Drips of melting flesh from its face hit yours as chunks of its torso slough off and cover you in ichor.

Make a Discipline check at Average difficulty (2 difficulty dice) as the grotesque experience starts to overwhelm you, and the breathe masks's filters.


Josiah:
Your crewman distracts the droid, temporarily by tossing out a glowstick. The droid whips around its gun, clipping the light with the stun blast, sending more sparks everywhere. With a burst of speed you push yourself as hard as you can from your position, straight at the Droid. Hurtling through the air, you try to adjust your trajectory using your tail, as a single blue lit eye turns back to you.

Make an Easy Athletics check to see if you reach the droid in time for another action this turn.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2013, 03:46:47 AM »

Josiah strains to try move as quickly as possible:

1 success, 2 advantage, 2 threat
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9310



View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2013, 04:34:44 AM »

Josiah:
You manage to get in arms distance of the droid before it can swing its weapon at you.

You have an additional maneuver you can do this turn and are engaged with the droid.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.027s, 2q)