http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Attacktix Pictorial AAR (56k warning)  (Read 4746 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2005, 12:03:21 AM »

On a little known planet Khoop Souse, the battle lines were drawn, it was on a strangely smooth plateau known locally as tableaux billiards...

The sides were unbalanced, the clones and droids under General Grievous had greater numbers, but less power (300 points for Obi-Wan's forces to 240 points for Grievous' army).

The droid army struck first and Grievous quickly eliminated the Jedi Agen Kolar as Commander Bly took out the Wookiee Commando.

Kenobi's forces retaliated quickly as Anakin took out a battle droid and Bail Organa dropped a pre-dismemberment Darth Vader.

Things quickly got messy as the driods counter attacked. Count Dooku killed Obi-Wan who mystically recovered and took the place of a Wookiee Scout, then General Grievous killed Bail Organa, which gave Yoda the opportunity to move in and kill General Grievous with a vicious attack. The death of Grievous sent the driods into a frenzy and two of them attacked, one taking out Yoda and the other missing Obi-Wan wildly.

After that the battle lines were broken and these quickly turned into a bloodbath.

For a time the Jedi and their companions held their own but soon things looked grim for our heroes.

Eventually Anakin alone faced the 6 remaining enemies, 2 battle droids, one of Grievous' Bodyguards and Neimoidian Guard and a pair of clones.

Anakin made a good fight of it, taking out a battle droid and a clone with a single shot, but the Neimoidian took advantage of the opening and hit Anakin with a killing blow!

The remaining forces of General Grievous' army gathered around the corpse of the dead jedi congratulating each other for overcoming the superior forces of Obi-Wan Kenobi and the other Jedi.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:44:43 PM »

OMG!!! :shock:

That was a fantastic After Action Report coop!!!  Great Job! biggrin I loved the pictures!  I wish I had a digital camera to document my battles with my son.

Did you get the Anakin with the Force Shield in a booster pack?  I only have the Anakin that came with the starter pack.  That Force Shield looks like it would be great in deflecting the missles.  And I'm still looking for General Grievous.

My son and I had a classic battle this weekend.  He took an army of Jedi with the Boga and I had a slew of droids and clone warriors.  I had several more units then him, but the points evened out.  The Boga alone is 60pts.  That damn tail swipe of his can take out several units if you are not careful enough to spread them out!

My goal was to eliminate that Boga before it can get in the middle of my army and swat them around like gnats.  I split my troops into two and decided to get the Boga from both sides.  With the Boga, you have to hit both legs and it will crumble to the ground.  My son knows this and put two jedi on both sides of the Boga for protection.  One of those Jedi was Mace Windu.  My very first attack I tried a long range shot at Mace, hitting his arm and watching him spin around several times before tumbling off the table.  Cool!  We play on a large coffee table and any units that fall of the table are gone.

My son initially started closing the distance on my missle troops with his Jedi.  Those damn Jedi move so fast (12 klicks) compared to the 4 or 6 klicks for my troops.  His Jedi took out a few of my troops before I could blink an eye.  What was really neat was he positioned Anakin between two of my clone troopers and with one swing of his lightsaber, they both went flying.  Several misses later and I was in trouble.

Then came the Boga.  I managed to get one leg but before I could swing in position to get the other leg his Jedi chased me and cut me down from behind.  The Boga never got a chance to swing its tail.  Next time I will concentrate on his Jedi first!

I'm going to Toys R Us to pick up some more booster packs today!!! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 03:23:35 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

I'm going to Toys R Us to pick up some more booster packs today!!! biggrin

Wal-Mart has them on sale for $6.70 I think (may be $6.90). THough they were completely sold out around me.

Yeah, I got two Anakins' with the force shield/weapon. It's a HUGE projectile but it has pretty poor range because of the weight. The shot he made that took out two troops actually bounced after taking out the first guy and went high enough to knock down the other guy. It was pretty sweet.

Grievous projectile is pretty big as well, good for knocking down Jedi. biggrin

I'm looking at the Boga and AT-RT, but it seems like they would be a little overpowering hehe

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 06:18:12 PM »

Thanks coop for the heads up with Walmart.  I will check them out tonight on my way home from work.

The Boga is not overpowering as long as one is not stupid enough to group his/her own troops, where the Boga tail will do most of the damage.  Plus, the high point value of the Boga means if you have the Boga you will have significantly less troops.  My mistake against my son was that I was too focused on the Boga and didn't pay enough attention to his Jedi.

Keep me up to date on any future AAR's!

Were you able to find the case for the figures anywhere (other than online)?  I've been looking for it.  The case will interlock with additional cases to form a battlefield, complete with firing missles!!!  Is that cool or what? :wink:

XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 06:28:06 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Were you able to find the case for the figures anywhere (other than online)?  I've been looking for it.  The case will interlock with additional cases to form a battlefield, complete with firing missles!!!  Is that cool or what? :wink:

Nope, haven't seen the case anywhere. I'm definitely interested in the CTF game the case comes with instructions for... I think CTF would be a bit more strategic than the basic last one standing bloodbath.

Afrolex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 09:57:05 PM »

How many packs did you buy to get that many figures? This looks like fun.  I'd like to try this with my 9 year old stepson.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 11:03:09 PM »

Quote from: "namretaw"
How many packs did you buy to get that many figures? This looks like fun.  I'd like to try this with my 9 year old stepson.

That's the start pack + 6 boosters ( I really wanted Yoda slywink ) @ $7-8 each

IMO the minimum to play is a starter and 2 boosters, that gives you 11 figures for $24. The game docs suggets playing games with 100 pts of characters, but that seems low to me,that would be 3-4 pieces per side in general (point value of pieces range from 10-70, but the average piece is 30). I think 5 per side is a good starting point. Though bigger is better as far as I am concerned!

Afrolex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 06:08:34 AM »

Sounds good.  I'll have to pick some of these up after work tomorrow.
Velvet Elvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 06:46:30 PM »

WTH game is this?

Tell me more!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 06:50:35 PM »

Yeah me too!! how do you play?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 07:48:48 PM »

Starshifter's original thread

It's like playing war with action figures, but with rules.

Each peice has a point value, games are played between opposing armies of equivalent point totals. Players take turns, on your turn you can move each of your peices up to a number of "clix" marked on the piece, the piece actually makes a click as you move it to count out the distance. Onmce all of your pieces that you wish to moev have been moves, up to 2 of your pieces can attack. The attacks are real physical attacks, either a projectile attack or a melee attack. Melee attacks are done by holding the base of the figure and pulling the weapon/arm back and releasing.

If the opponents figure is knocked down it is defeated. A defeated figure has a small window on the bottom and if the window shows white then a special ability is triggered (various pieces have various special ability probabilty from 15-80ish%). These special abilities may give another piece of your army a free shot, or free move + attack, or automatically defeat the figure that defeated the piece, or bring another piece into play through a couple of methods, etc.

Different pieces have different size bases and weights making them harder or easier to defeat. Different size projectiles, different ranges to their melee attacks. Specials that only affect certain other "classes" of pieces, etc.

It works much like a CCG only with figures and of course the actual physical skill of aiming ranged and melee attacks. The current available pieces are all episode 3 related, not sure where they will be expanding to. Pieces are available at target, wal-mart, toys'r'us etc.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 01:51:01 PM »

coop - good description of the game.  I picked up the AT-RT (now I have something to challenge that damn Boga!) and four booster packs at Wal Mart.  Thanks for the tip on the sale!  I didn't open the booster packs yet.  I want my son to open them and he will be with me this weekend.  I'll let you know what I get and I will give you an update on our epic battles this coming weekend!  I hope I get Yoda and the Emperor!  I think in total now I have something like 30 figures!

biggrin

XM Channel 76
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 01:46:43 AM »

That is awesome coop!
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 09:42:28 AM »

what happened to the pics?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 01:35:34 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"

Are the pics above gone or are you asking for more?

If they are gone, then I suppose I blew my bandwidth budget, too many views hehe. If you are looking for more, well, I got GTA:SA for PC. Finshed that this weekend though...

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 07:03:16 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "jpinard"

Are the pics above gone or are you asking for more?

If they are gone, then I suppose I blew my bandwidth budget, too many views hehe. If you are looking for more, well, I got GTA:SA for PC. Finshed that this weekend though...

They were gone this morning, but ar eback this afternoon.  yea!  :lol:
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 12:35:28 PM »

Man am I pissed.  I picked up another 4 booster packs and still no friggin Yoda or the Emperor!!!!!! :evil:

How much money do I need to spend before I get them?

I have an army of Mace Windu's!

Hey, maybe we can get some trades going?  Might be interesting.  Too bad we all can't get together for some galactic titanic battles!

XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 01:29:43 PM »

I have an extra Yoda (one chrome base, one not weee), but no Mace... I'd consider a trade but packaging this thing to ship... suppose if I kept the boxes they came in hehe (now if you wanna swing by DFW to trade... slywink ).

You could always get a Yoda on ebay for a little more than the price of a booster if you really want it.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 01:44:59 PM »

We finally got the starter set from Amazon and my 6 year-old, 8 year-old and I got some games going.

This if serious fun!  So far I am unbeatable.  They all want to rush me which leaves them in range for me to move close and attack.  Perhaps they'll learn restraint before the Dark Side fully claims them

And no Yoda and no Emperor.  Our Wal-Mart has some giant Attactix lizard - maybe the one Obi-Wan was riding in Ep 3?  It's around $20 if I remember correctly.  Any thoughts on this piece?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 02:00:18 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
And no Yoda and no Emperor.  Our Wal-Mart has some giant Attactix lizard - maybe the one Obi-Wan was riding in Ep 3?  It's around $20 if I remember correctly.  Any thoughts on this piece?

Yah that's Obi-wan's mount (Boga), $20 is way too much, I think MSRP is $12.99? I got it for $9.99 at Toys'R'Us a week or two ago. It is a melee fighter and has a button on each hip, both buttons need to be hit to knock it down (and once he's down you can bring Obi-Wan in from your backups). The melee attack is a tail swipe with pretty good range and coverage. also, having its weakness points on opposite sides makes it a challenge to drop.

There is a also a AT-RT that has a ranged attack cannon that fires 4 projectiles in a single turn, kinda neat. I think the Boga is a 60 point piece and the AT-RT is a 70 point piece. The AT-RT is dropped by knockin out both of it's "knee-pads", a bit easier than killing the Boga.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: