http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 08:22:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Attacktix!  (Read 3926 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2005, 07:16:12 PM »

Great tabletop game!

I bought this for my son as a Star Wars gift to celebrate seeing the movie this past weekend.  We had some great battles on top of the coffee table and there is alot more stategy involved than you might think.  If you're not sure what this is go check it out at http://www.attacktix.com.  The booster packs go for $7.99 at Toys R Us.  The starter kit is $10.  Great fun and the figures are way too cool.  Anyone else playing this?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 07:31:17 PM »

I was curious about this.  I picked it up, but I didn't know if I would find people who would want to play it.  Does it come with a battleground map or anything?

Can you tell me more about it?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:14:27 PM »

That is cool! I don't think my wife would be terribly interested though. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 04:06:57 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I was curious about this.  I picked it up, but I didn't know if I would find people who would want to play it.  Does it come with a battleground map or anything?

Can you tell me more about it?

Graham,

No battle map needed.  You just need a smooth surface like a tabletop or floor.  Each figure has a base attached to it that you slide on the surface and each "tick" is your movement points.  Each character has a different amount of movement points.  For example, Obi Wan moves 12 ticks and most clone troopers move 6.  After moving you swing your lightsaber to attack (pull back the arm and let go) or fire the missles (spring loaded plastic missle).  If you knock a figure down you read the bottom of the base for any "special powers" it might have.  For example, a Jedi may be able to be returned to the battlefield in exchange for an existing figure.

That's it in a nutshell.  Lots of stategy involved because you have to block or protect vulnerable units and use flanking alot - especially against the Boga (the creature Obi Wan rides in the movie) because it has only two vulnerable points on the sides of its legs.

Check out the web site in my original post.  You can see a simulated game there.

XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 06:30:09 PM »

You make it sound pretty sweet, maybe I can talk my wife into it... shame we don't know anybody with grade-school kids. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 08:36:04 PM »

Bastiches making me spend so much more money~!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 04:47:46 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Bastiches making me spend so much more money~!

Sorry Fuzz! frown

I've already picked up two more booster packs and I heard the Volume 2 booster packs are on the way.

My son and I are going to have some massive battles this weekend.  I think I have come up with a stategy to take down his Boga.  Let's see how good my 8yr old son is at stopping an attack from three sides! :evil:

XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 05:47:58 PM »

My wife's birthday is tomorrow. I'm thinking about giving her this as a gag gift before I pull the real deal out. Good excuse to check it out. biggrin

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 04:50:21 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
My wife's birthday is tomorrow. I'm thinking about giving her this as a gag gift before I pull the real deal out. Good excuse to check it out. biggrin

Finally got to play a game. Very cool! There is definitely some strategy in building your squad. The melee obi-wan combined with a bunch of cheap trooper classes can keep Obi-Wan alive indefinitely with his abaility to replace any tropper on death if his special fires (6 out of 7 chance).

The balancing is really pretty cool. I was spinning the wheel and checking how often some of the specials fire... specials on the cheap troops almost never fire while on the higher cost troops are pretty close to guarantees.

I really like general grievous with his big projectile with good range and fairly small profile, making him hard to hit.

The projectiles on the ranged jedi (ranged obi-wan for instance) are so big and heavy they have almost no range, may as well go with a melee jedi, those melee attacks and fats moving pieces are very powerful.

I can't believe I am talking like this about a game that says ages 8+ on the box biggrin This is one of those rare moments I really wish I had a kid hehe

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 01:59:24 AM »

How do you know how far to move?  In the demo are they just moving them wherever they want regardless of "speed"?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 01:27:14 PM »

Quote from: "jpinard"
How do you know how far to move?  In the demo are they just moving them wherever they want regardless of "speed"?

There is a number on the base that gives you the movement rate. As you move it, the piece itself makes a clicking sound. If your piece has a 12 on the base you move until your piece clicks 12 times. Eventually you forget you are counting clicks, it's just second nature.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 01:22:45 AM »

Went shopping tonight and all they had was a booster pack.  I picked it up anyway and we ordered the Starter Set and another booster pack from Amazon.  My kids are going nuts because they want to play this.

Me too!
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 02:21:55 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Went shopping tonight and all they had was a booster pack.  I picked it up anyway and we ordered the Starter Set and another booster pack from Amazon.  My kids are going nuts because they want to play this.

Me too!

I did the EXACT same thing!  I went all over, and they're soldout everywhere.  One place had a couple booster packs and that was it.  I ordered the starter kit through Amazon too.
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 01:42:24 AM »

A good site is www.everythingmageknight.com

Also www.iconusa4.com

I think you will be pleased.

Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: