http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 12:36:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound effects for PnP rpgs?  (Read 2121 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:38:38 PM »

I run some local pen and paper RPGs for friends and in shops in my area.

I recently got a laptop and I was thinking it'd be handy to have a library of sound effects to play or loop during sessions to get players more into the story.  I've already got a bunch of other programs that help out with running such games (I've got a great random city and NPC generator that can give me a fully fleshed out NPC in less than a second, even birthplace, relatives, and personality quirks are covered).

What I've been doing is extracting sounds from various games to play, but whenever I play them in software like winamp or WMP I either have to keep monitoring or the sounds just don't loop properly.

Then there's randomizing sounds and whatnot.  Anyway, I just don't want to have to manage sounds on my computer when I should be interacting with players.

Anyone know of some easy to use software that'll handle sound effects like this?  Something that'll let me write simple scripts to do random sound loops or something?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 01:24:10 AM »

Nevermind, I found exactly what I was looking for.  I posted on rpg.net and someone responded with this program:

RPG Sound Mixer
http://www.rpgsoundmixer.com/

This utility is designed specifically for the purpose of creating and playing sound and sound scapes during live role playing sessions.  I've tried the demo and its utility for PnP role players, or even small time stage productions is astounding.

The demo download basically a demo version where you can't load or save sounds, but you can use a special demonstration mode that walks you through what the program can do.  If you're at all slightly interested, try it out.

The interface is outdated and a little confusing, but like most software of this sort, it's a one man job.  There is a new version in the works that looks like it will improve the interface, but it'll take time.  He at least has a proposed feature list.

It does cost money, 16,50 euros, or about $19 USD depending on the exchange rate.

Anyway, if you're looking for more immersion for your RPG sessions, or need a quick way to produce sound scapes for theater productions, check this out.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 03:04:15 PM »

Maybe i'm blind, but what is "Pen&Paper" RPG sessions?

:?

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »

This would be the old school group who sits down at a table and plays role playing games.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 08:28:50 PM »

dungeons and dragons, for example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: