http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:22:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small World wins Games magazine's Game of the Year  (Read 4524 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »

Has anyone played Small World?  I've been interested, if only because it's Days of Wonder, but it looks a little more complicated than my family would be up for.

I was happy to see both Dominion and Roll Through the Ages win Best Family Strategy and Best Family categories.  Both games were recommended through this board.  Dominion is a decent hit at my house, though I still haven't convinced the wife to play it, the mechanics are so good, I'm sure she'll like it.  RttA may be a little more complicated, but just from the rules and the pieces, you can tell it's a well-designed game.

Another game I picked up recently won Best Party Game: Dixit.  Unfortunately, this one proved a little too abstract for my daughter, but it could be a cool game with another group.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:59 PM »

Small World is great!  My kids play it often (ages 10, 12 & 13) and my wife and I have joined in for a couple of games as well.
Fishbelly
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:02:34 AM »

If your family can handle Dominion, then Small World should be no problem at all.  The rules are simple.  Personally, I enjoy Small World quite a bit.  It's not a complicated, land-grab strategy game, but more of a lighthearted game where you send very small waves of troops against your opponents.

Because it's literally a "small world" (the board is designed that way on purpose) conflict is inevitable.  My family and students that I've played with understand that and don't get upset when attacked, as they expect it.  The enjoyment of the game is the fun mix of races and powers, which are random each time.  It's always interesting to see what combos come up during the game.  

Because you control a small amount of troops, even if a powerful combo comes about it's hard for the game to get too much out of hand.  Thus, most of the games I've played have been generally tightly contested and interesting until the end.

The game is surprisingly the most popular with my students so far.  For serious gamers however it might not have enough meat to it, as the strategies are fairly simple for experienced players.  

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

Woody Allen
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »

I haven't played it yet.  I tried something new this year and didn't order any new games pretty much all year(except the Dominion expansion, I couldn't resist).  That way I could ask for them for Christmas and my birthday(Dec.).  Small World is at the top of that list.  I can't wait!!
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »

Small World was surprisingly good for me, considering how much I hated the designer's previous effort, Vinci.  Small World uses nearly the same mechanic but in a much faster-playing game, and it's not at all complicated.  Most games come in under and hour, and I like how they incorporated different, smaller boards for fewer players. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »

This has been a game that has been at the top of my "to get" list.  It looks like a fun filler game for my friends who aren't heavy games that is easy to get into.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:55:37 PM »

I wasn't crazy about it after two plays.  It was fun and short, but I don't know that it has the longevity to become something that I keep around forever.  I suspect that over a number of plays, certain powers will emerge as the "must get" powers, giving an advantage to whoever happens to be going when it comes up.  So yeah, amusing, but not something I want to buy.

Space Alert, on the other hand, is excellent.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:23:08 AM »

I hadn't even heard of Small World until this post; guess I'm a bit too much out of the bdgame loop these days. I was looking for a new game to get my kids for Christmas and I'm thinking this will be the one. I noticed over at boardgamegeek.com that's its average user rating is very good. I also noticed that the average recommended age (8 and up) by the User community, unlike many boardgames, is the as the manufacturers'. Sounds like it'll be a good fit for my kids.  slywink thumbsup
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:52:59 AM »

Any additional opinions about Small World? I just heard of it last week and it sounds like my wife and I might enjoy it. We enjoy Carcassonne and several other German games, but we have not played that many yet. I am also considering Dominion.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »

Quote from: JSL on December 28, 2009, 03:52:59 AM

Any additional opinions about Small World? I just heard of it last week and it sounds like my wife and I might enjoy it. We enjoy Carcassonne and several other German games, but we have not played that many yet. I am also considering Dominion.

I can definitely recommend Dominion.  Fantastic game.  I'll probably pick up Small World in the next few weeks, but I can never tell when I'll get a chance to play it.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »

Quote from: JSL on December 28, 2009, 03:52:59 AM

I got Small  World for Christmas and played a 2-player game.  I wasn't thrilled with it with 2 players, but I think its going to be loads of fun with 4.  I should be playing it tonight.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

I just got Middle-Earth Quest and Kingsburg for Christmas.  Any volunteers in the Chicago area?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Graham on December 28, 2009, 09:21:12 PM

I just got Middle-Earth Quest and Kingsburg for Christmas.  Any volunteers in the Chicago area?

Is Dallas in the Chicago area? I'll meet you at some convenient location in the middle, maybe somewhere in north dallas?  Tongue

I have a pretty good collection of board games... and nobody to play with.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 11:05:21 PM »

I put this one my Xmas wish list this year and my wife was going to get it for me. However, she finally gave up after going to 5-6 different places in town who didn't have it.

Turns out she thought it was an Xbox game.  saywhat icon_frown
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »

I got this for my family for Christmas.

45min. after punching out all the bits, I packed it up.  I'm concerned it MIGHT be too complicated for my family, but I'm sure it will be fine after a few plays.

"Goonies never say die"
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »

I ran through a game by myself last night to get a feel for the rules.. I think it there might be a few concepts that are too abstract for my kids.. but we'll try.

"Goonies never say die"
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »

Well as I suspected it was a bust.  I tried to play a game with my 10 year old daughter, and she kept saying "how do you play this", she wasn't interested in the least.

Hopefully once I learn the game better, it will be easier to teach.

"Goonies never say die"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »

Rats.  Sounds like it'll be another one to add to the "someday" pile.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 03:29:32 AM »

I had the fortune to spend the week up North with my wife and our best friends and kids.  We play a lot of games and I did get to play Small World with 4 and I can't say I'm blown away.  We all liked it, but we weren't crazy about it.  In fact it was the first game we played and we never got back to it again.

Turns out the hits of the week were Chicago Express and Nefertiti.  Both were new games for us.

For the record we also played Puerto Rico, Agricola, Galaxy Trucker and Power Grid:Factory Manager.  PR and Agricola are old favorites, while GT and PG:FM were new.  I hated GT, but everyone else seemed to like it.  We were all "meh" of PG:FM.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 03, 2010, 03:29:32 AM

I had the fortune to spend the week up North with my wife and our best friends and kids.  We play a lot of games and I did get to play Small World with 4 and I can't say I'm blown away.  We all liked it, but we weren't crazy about it.  In fact it was the first game we played and we never got back to it again.

Turns out the hits of the week were Chicago Express and Nefertiti.  Both were new games for us.

For the record we also played Puerto Rico, Agricola, Galaxy Trucker and Power Grid:Factory Manager.  PR and Agricola are old favorites, while GT and PG:FM were new.  I hated GT, but everyone else seemed to like it.  We were all "meh" of PG:FM.

If you don't mind me asking, how old were the kids?

"Goonies never say die"
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on January 03, 2010, 01:12:38 PM

My daughters are 10 and 7, their kids are 3 and 1.  These game sessions were just the 4 adults, usually after the 2 littlest ones went to bed. 

I saw your disappointment above about the 10 year old and I've run into the same thing with mine too.  She's a very bright kid who loves video games and reading, but board games haven't really clicked in for her.  We've had her play a few with us and she hasn't been too thrilled.  I've vowed to institute a regular family game night and try to get her more interested...we'll see how that goes.  I have a funny feeling that both of my kids might really get into Small World, but we won't know until we try!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »

My kids and I have had a chance to play the game 3 times now with some friends - still don't own it myself. While I feel it's playable by some game savvy 8 year olds and most 10 year olds, there's a lot more to the game than what a 1st impression gives. I do think it's an excellent game and worth the time investment in teaching it to a child.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 03, 2010, 01:28:21 PM

My daughters are 10 and 7, their kids are 3 and 1.  These game sessions were just the 4 adults, usually after the 2 littlest ones went to bed. 

I saw your disappointment above about the 10 year old and I've run into the same thing with mine too.  She's a very bright kid who loves video games and reading, but board games haven't really clicked in for her.  We've had her play a few with us and she hasn't been too thrilled.  I've vowed to institute a regular family game night and try to get her more interested...we'll see how that goes.  I have a funny feeling that both of my kids might really get into Small World, but we won't know until we try!

I find that too.  I have 2 daughters 8 and 10, both quite bright.  I don't know if it's their age, but they don't want to listen to the rules.  We play Ticket to Ride, Gulo Gulo, and Heroscape with no problem.  I might try Carcassonne and see if they like that.

"Goonies never say die"
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »

I think Carcassonne is a very good idea.  I'm going to try that too.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on January 03, 2010, 07:17:00 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on January 03, 2010, 01:28:21 PM

I had the fortune to spend the week up North with my wife and our best friends and kids.  We play a lot of games and I did get to play Small World with 4 and I can't say I'm blown away.  We all liked it, but we weren't crazy about it.  In fact it was the first game we played and we never got back to it again.

Turns out the hits of the week were Chicago Express and Nefertiti.  Both were new games for us.

For the record we also played Puerto Rico, Agricola, Galaxy Trucker and Power Grid:Factory Manager.  PR and Agricola are old favorites, while GT and PG:FM were new.  I hated GT, but everyone else seemed to like it.  We were all "meh" of PG:FM.

My daughters are 10 and 7, their kids are 3 and 1.  These game sessions were just the 4 adults, usually after the 2 littlest ones went to bed.  

I saw your disappointment above about the 10 year old and I've run into the same thing with mine too.  She's a very bright kid who loves video games and reading, but board games haven't really clicked in for her.  We've had her play a few with us and she hasn't been too thrilled.  I've vowed to institute a regular family game night and try to get her more interested...we'll see how that goes.  I have a funny feeling that both of my kids might really get into Small World, but we won't know until we try!

I find that too.  I have 2 daughters 8 and 10, both quite bright.  I don't know if it's their age, but they don't want to listen to the rules.  We play Ticket to Ride, Gulo Gulo, and Heroscape with no problem.  I might try Carcassonne and see if they like that.

I didn't have that problem with my daughter, who's about to turn 10, with Small World, but I think that might have something to do with her having been exposed to Star Wars Mini's as a team player since she was about 6. Honestly, if there's a game where you're frequently rule and addendum diving SWM is it.  icon_confused  She also had to sit through some hefty rule explanations in order to learn how to control creatures and play lore for Battlelore team play. My advise with any game as, or more, difficult as SW is make sure you know the rules inside out before attempting to teach them and try to get in some time beforehand playing it solo or with friends. And definitely post for ideas and suggestions in the Gaming with Kids forum at boardgamegeek. slywink
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:06:29 PM by kronovan » Logged
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »

My fiancee and I did play 3 games of Pandemic.  Although we didn't win any of them, she had a blast.  What a great, accessible game, she's already asking to play this morning before work.. lol.

I'm intrigued by Agricola, it looks like she could handle the theme, is it fun?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:37:40 AM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 08:39:49 PM »

I love Agricola.  Even when I lose, I have a great time, trying to maximize my little farm and keep my family from starving to death.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »

I haven't played Agricola, but I have been afraid that it would be too heavy for my group of friends.  I am excited to try Kingsburg with them though.  I think it has enough choices with a bit of luck, but also a mechanic to help out the person in last place.  I like the theme a bit more too.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 12:10:06 AM »

Quote from: hentzau on January 05, 2010, 08:39:49 PM

I love Agricola.  Even when I lose, I have a great time, trying to maximize my little farm and keep my family from starving to death.

Yeah, I'm a big fan too.  My wife hates though, which is extremely rare.  She finds the extreme amount of possible courses of action to be paralyzing.  This happens to her in Caylus too.

Fortunately our main gaming friends like it, so we just play the 3 of us sometimes.  Great game.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

I still have yet to play this.

Has anyone had any luck with non-gaming spouses playing this?  I'm going to suggest to my fiancee that we play tonight...

"Goonies never say die"
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »

My wife and my friends wife play it and enjoy it, but be prepared to endure many, many "nerd" jokes if she's not used to fantasy races, etc.  It can look a little intimidating and silly at first to a non-geek when you start talking about flying giants, berserk halflings, seafaring tritons, dragonmaster elves, etc...

What I can't figure out about Small World is how anyone says the game can be played in less than an hour.  We've played maybe 10 - 12 four player games now and even after getting the hang of things it still takes minimum two hours to play.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on February 19, 2010, 04:17:47 PM

My wife and my friends wife play it and enjoy it, but be prepared to endure many, many "nerd" jokes if she's not used to fantasy races, etc.  It can look a little intimidating and silly at first to a non-geek when you start talking about flying giants, berserk halflings, seafaring tritons, dragonmaster elves, etc...

What I can't figure out about Small World is how anyone says the game can be played in less than an hour.  We've played maybe 10 - 12 four player games now and even after getting the hang of things it still takes minimum two hours to play.

I might as well not bother.  She hates LONG games.  We do best with Dominion, Lost Cities, Pandemic.  Too bad, I am dying to buy Agricola.. which I might anyway jsut to play solo ;(

"Goonies never say die"
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »

my two boys (ages 6 & Cool played this (Smallworld) last night. For the most part, they had a handle on it. We will be playing again this evening....

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on February 19, 2010, 05:54:13 PM

my two boys (ages 6 & Cool played this (Smallworld) last night. For the most part, they had a handle on it. We will be playing again this evening....

Chris

I have 8 and 10 year old daugters and they were falling asleep as I'm explaining the rules.  Granted, I haven't played yet either.

Any tips on making it easier for them to learn?

"Goonies never say die"
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »

I, for the most part, explained the rules as we played. Even my 6 year old was able to understand just about all of it. The thing they try to do, though, constantly, is to fight the biggest battles that they can. They will try to go into a mountain, controlled by Trolls, with about 5 trolls in there....just so they can roll the die.

PSN: MythicalMino
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »

My former D&D group has started playing Small World on weekends, and have been having a blast with it.  I'm not even much of a board game guy, but this one is a lot of fun.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on February 19, 2010, 04:26:40 PM

Too bad, I am dying to buy Agricola.. which I might anyway jsut to play solo ;(

You might be surprised, my wife and I can get through a 2-player game of Agricola in a little over an hour, and that's on her first couple of playthroughs.  She's been pretty hooked by it. 

One caveat would be the enormous amount of choices and options you have in every game between the board options, occupations, and improvements.  It can be a little overwhelming, and the strategies available from different card combinations never become apparent to some people.

As for Small World, I have never seen games go beyond an hour, even for larger group games. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 04:35:21 PM »

I finally got a couple of games in of Small World with a buddy of mine.  Needless to say we enjoyed it, but were underwhelmed.  Maybe it would be more enjoyable if we knew the different race combinations better, but we just didn't find it all that exciting.  I'm not even sure I'll keep it, although I'd like to try it with a larger group.

We ended up cracking out Memoir '44 and playing the hell out of it.  I always forget what a great game that is.

"Goonies never say die"
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 18, 2010, 04:35:21 PM

I finally got a couple of games in of Small World with a buddy of mine.  Needless to say we enjoyed it, but were underwhelmed.  Maybe it would be more enjoyable if we knew the different race combinations better, but we just didn't find it all that exciting.  I'm not even sure I'll keep it, although I'd like to try it with a larger group.

We ended up cracking out Memoir '44 and playing the hell out of it.  I always forget what a great game that is.

Small World is much more fun with 4 or 5 players - with two the mechanics of the game just don't work as well.  Most of the flavour in Small World imo is from the huge variety of combinations and having lots of different races on the board, in decline and active.  When it's just your opponent to attack and pester then it's not as much fun.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:19 PM »

Got a press release today that Small World is being adapted for the iPad.  icon_cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: