http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 09:50:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RPG for a 7 year old who loves Castle Ravenloft  (Read 1278 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »

Theose geeks over at that now dead site OO suggested the Pathfinder Starter Box and something from Savage Worlds... I was wondering if you guys had any different suggestions. I'm checking out Pathfinder and grabbing the other D&D boardgames, but I am bored and need more conversation. Tell me what ya got!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »

The brilliant genius who suggested Savage Worlds was right on target. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »

I'd say that a good rule of thumb is to look at the character sheets.  I wouldn't recommend Pathfinder for a 7yo, as it's D&D 3.75, and the sheer array of feats and skills involved can rapidly become mind boggling.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »

For a 7 year old you're really looking for an RPG system that's rule light to medium. Pathfinder is medium-heavy, so as Isgrimmur said it's not appropriate for that age group. Savage Worlds is a very good system which most gamers classify as medium weight in rules. I personally think it's more light-medium and I've run adventures using it for children as young as 10 with very good results. For a Savage Worlds Fantasy setting that scratches some of the spots of Ravenloft I'd recommend Hellfrost or Shaintar. My personal favourite fantasy setting for it is Beasts & Barbarians, but it's really a Sword & Sorcery setting more akin to R.E. Howards Conan or Moorcocks Elric, without the high fantasy and magic-aplenty of Ravenloft.

Another good system that's rules light is the Dragon AGE RPG. I've run it with children as young as 10 and they pick it up very easily. Like the videogame it has a lot of races and character types that are common with D&D and Ravenloft. The game is billed as Dark Fantasy, but in reality their isn't much in it's that's mature or very dark. As well, any of the mature content in the adventures is often optional and easily avoided. The only problem with it is that the 3rd boxset that will contain the rules for levels 11-20 hasn't been released yet. However, it's due out this Fall and you can get many, upon many hours just running a campaign for levels 1-10. There's also some truly outstanding free, fan-made content available for it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:48:09 PM by kronovan » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »

Unfortunately I can't refer back to the old thread where I think it might have been mentioned, but where do you start with Savage Worlds? With Pathfinder there is the start box, with Savage worlds there is an incredibly long list of books and PDFs. Note: I am not interested in PDFs really. I looked at one of the books at my FLGS and they are pretty massive and it's not clear what I need.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 28, 2013, 03:52:22 PM

Unfortunately I can't refer back to the old thread where I think it might have been mentioned, but where do you start with Savage Worlds? With Pathfinder there is the start box, with Savage worlds there is an incredibly long list of books and PDFs. Note: I am not interested in PDFs really. I looked at one of the books at my FLGS and they are pretty massive and it's not clear what I need.

Pinnacle Entertainment Group makes it very easy and low cost to get started. The best way to get your feet wet is to download the free Test Drive Rules and the The Wild Hunt starter adventure. It's a horror adventure,  so you might want to check it out before you play it with your 7 yr old. If you like what you see and feel confident enough to start creating a Player Character, there's this training wheels character sheet that has a bit of explanatory text on it. The Explorers edition (9x5" softcover) of the Savage World Deluxe core rules can be purchased in most LGS's for $8-10. If you're sold on the system and want the nicer hardcover Savage Worlds Deluxe, it usually sells for $20-25. If you decide the systems a go with you, you can purchase most of the in print 3rd party setting books from Studio 2 Publishing's online store, Amazon or at your LGS.

[Edit] Forgot to mention - if you browse around the downloads section of Pinnacles website, you'll find lots of free character flats and short adventures.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:52:05 PM by kronovan » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »

That's awesome, thanks. smile

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

You're welcome and I hope you enjoy Savage Worlds as much as my kids, their friends and I have. smile

If you have any questions about the rules post them here in this thread and I'll reply. As well, there's a Pinnacle Ent. Group staffer -Clint Black- that monitors 2 rules forums (official answers) on the peginc.com community site.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 28, 2013, 03:52:22 PM

Without restating what has already been said, the big thing to note is that Savage Worlds is one book.  Each setting has an additional book you can buy if you choose to play that setting, but all of the rules are in that one book, so you can start and stop with that one purchase - no need for intro sets, basic rules, etc.  The big difference between the hardback version (~$25) and the  Explorer's Edition (the $10 version) is that the hardback has all of the rules for world creation, setting tweaking and that sort of thing.  Other than that, they're identical.  Look at it as the larger book being intended for the game master, while the paperback version is intended for the players, or for experienced GMs who want to carry less around with them.

Make sure you get Savage Worlds Deluxe.  "Deluxe" is their second edtion.

Also, a point I made in that other thread - if you do play it with a 7-year-old, consider making a rule that villain damage can only ace once.  It'll keep the spiky damage from accidentally killing players.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »

Thanks guys. I read through the test drive and the adventure kronovan linked. It might be a bit dark for the kiddo, but it's simple enough to change a few things and make it the same adventure but with fewer murders and nooses... not that castle ravenloft is all rainbows and unicorns.

The system does seem pretty straightforward, though it will take some getting used to the switch from hit points.

I think it would help to see it played a bit, I wonder if youtube would be able to help me there. Everything is on youtube.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on August 28, 2013, 08:00:31 PM

The big difference between the hardback version (~$25) and the  Explorer's Edition (the $10 version) is that the hardback has all of the rules for world creation, setting tweaking and that sort of thing.  Other than that, they're identical.  Look at it as the larger book being intended for the game master, while the paperback version is intended for the players, or for experienced GMs who want to carry less around with them.

I think you might be confusing this with the previous Savage Worlds Explorers Edition. For Savage Worlds Deluxe, the content is identical between the standard and explorers edition with the only difference being the physical size, page count and a bit of formatting. Aside from the missing more GM specfic content, the previous explorers edition (commonly referred to as SWEX) also didn't have rules for advanced race creation, social interludes, dramatic tasks and social conflicts. It also had about 20 fewer powers.

Also, a point I made in that other thread - if you do play it with a 7-year-old, consider making a rule that villain damage can only ace once.  It'll keep the spiky damage from accidentally killing players.

Yup, a very good suggestion. When I ran my adventures for kids I just houseruled a max of 3 wounds per any single attack, but your suggestion is a bit more forgiving.

Quote from: coopasonic on August 28, 2013, 08:19:27 PM

It might be a bit dark for the kiddo, but it's simple enough to change a few things and make it the same adventure but with fewer murders and nooses... not that castle ravenloft is all rainbows and unicorns.

There's other free official adventures available too; PEG Inc refers to them as one-page adventures. I just don't know the exact URL, but if you post in or search the peginc.com forums you should get a link. As well, there are about 4 sample adventure in the back of the Savage Worlds Deluxe book. As Blackhawk said, the core rule book gives you a lot of bang for the buck. slywink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:07:44 PM by kronovan » Logged
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 28, 2013, 10:05:34 PM

Quote from: Blackhawk on August 28, 2013, 08:00:31 PM

The big difference between the hardback version (~$25) and the  Explorer's Edition (the $10 version) is that the hardback has all of the rules for world creation, setting tweaking and that sort of thing.  Other than that, they're identical.  Look at it as the larger book being intended for the game master, while the paperback version is intended for the players, or for experienced GMs who want to carry less around with them.

I think you might be confusing this with the previous Savage Worlds Explorers Edition. For Savage Worlds Deluxe, the content is identical between the standard and explorers edition with the only difference being the physical size, page count and a bit of formatting. Aside from the missing more GM specfic content, the previous explorers edition (commonly referred to as SWEX) also didn't have rules for advanced race creation, social interludes, dramatic tasks and social conflicts. It also had about 20 fewer powers.

Oops, yep - the content is the same.  I purchased copies of the SWD EE for my players, but never really took a close look.  So, it is a question between full sized hardback and smaller paperback.  Just make sure it says "Deluxe."
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:58:16 PM »

It might be a bit dark for the kiddo, but it's simple enough to change a few things and make it the same adventure but with fewer murders and nooses... not that castle ravenloft is all rainbows and unicorns.

There's other free official adventures available too; PEG Inc refers to them as one-page adventures. I just don't know the exact URL, but if you post in or search the peginc.com forums you should get a link. As well, there are about 4 sample adventure in the back of the Savage Worlds Deluxe book. As Blackhawk said, the core rule book gives you a lot of bang for the buck. slywink

http://www.peginc.com/product-category/one-sheets/
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on August 28, 2013, 10:58:16 PM

http://www.peginc.com/product-category/one-sheets/

Awesome stuff finding and posting the link Blackhawk. I was thinking of the Tomb of Terrors one-sheet, which despite sounding scary is somewhat less horrific than The Wild Hunt. It definitely has a Castle Ravenloft vibe to it.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »

It just occurred to me that I am going to need many polyhedrons. An excuse to buy more stuff. I am thinking a chessex pound o dice might cover it. biggrin

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:59 AM »

I know there have been other suggestions, but maybe Gamma World would be something that you'd might want to look at.  It's a less serious post-apocalyptic setting that might be better for a 7-year-old.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »

Quote from: Graham on August 30, 2013, 02:11:59 AM

I know there have been other suggestions, but maybe Gamma World would be something that you'd might want to look at.  It's a less serious post-apocalyptic setting that might be better for a 7-year-old.

Really - How is Gamma World like Castle Ravenloft?  I also wouldn't necessarily say it's a less serious setting considering Wizard of the Coasts own blurb for it:
...offers hours of rollicking entertainment in a savage land of adventure, where the survivors of some mythical future disaster must contend with radioactive wastes, ravaged cities, and rampant lawlessness. Against a nuclear backdrop, heroic scavengers search crumbled ruins for lost artifacts while battling mutants and other perils.

As well it uses the D&D 4th edition system which IMO is just as inappropriate for a 7 yr old as Pathfinder is.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 29, 2013, 07:58:56 PM

It just occurred to me that I am going to need many polyhedrons. An excuse to buy more stuff. I am thinking a chessex pound o dice might cover it. biggrin

Yep, with Savage Worlds you'll use just about all dice sizes, with the possible exception of a D12 and D20, from the get go. The Chessex pound o dice is probably the cheapest option, but the regular RPG dice sets (d4-d20 w/percentile dice) from them cost as little as $4 at my FLGS.  They also have the advantage of being one uniform color so it makes it keeping a set together easier. That's actually quite important with Savage Worlds, because if players are often hunting for dice it can slow game play down. There's also this free, fan-made 8.5 x 11 mat that you can print out and use for keeping your dice organized.

[Edit] BTW you'll need a deck of playing cards to use for determining initiative. I wouldn't bring it up, but I've read posts where some GM's slam Savage Worlds for having that additional requirement and cost. Apparently some households don't have a deck and they can be expensive and hard to come by in some necks of the wood.  retard
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:50:30 PM by kronovan » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »

Yeah, I noted the deck of cards requirement. We have that covered. smile

As far as the dice go, I just wanted the excuse to get the pound.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »

Got shorted on the D12s...

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »

Nice assortment of dice! slywink  Having only a few D12's won't be much of a problem until your players achieve Seasoned rank and probably more likely Veteran rank. I'd recommend checking with some of your LGS's to see if they sell single dice. I know a few of mine do and they often have D12's.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 03:28:37 AM »

Suggestion:  Designate the little green dice as your wild dice.  Having a standard die that everyone knows is the wild can help stop a lot of arguments before they happen.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »

When my boys were 9 and 7, I found a used copy of the D&D beginner's set (3 or 3.5 edition).  It was very easy to set up and run them through the included adventures.

This year I got the Pathfinder Beginner's Box and ran them through (now they're 14 and 11).  It seemed more involved and cumbersome than the D&D red box a few years ago.  That's a subjective assessment, of course.

You might take a look at Tunnels & Trolls.  The rules are lighter (both in content and in atmosphere) than either of those I've mentioned, I think, and there's a good amount of material available for it (DriveThruRPG).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: