http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:34:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for someone who follows A Game of Thrones CCG...  (Read 3071 times)
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2005, 08:41:14 PM »

A friend of mine plays AGOT and I figured I'd pick up a few cards to pass the time.  So far I just have a couple starters and a handful of boosters.

So my question is, if I were to buy a booster box, which of the released sets should I look to buy?

Ideally I'm looking for a set that has the most cards considered to be bread and butter, or just whichever set has the most often used cards.  I'm leaning to a Valyrian edition box, or an Ice and Fire box, but I'm still undecided.

Any thoughts appreciated!

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 09:03:44 AM »

My tip is to not get started at all on CCGs.  You'll almost always need to buy into more and more cards to stay competative.

Instead, ask your friend if you can use any of his other decks that he's constructed.  If he's a player, you know he has several decks.

There's also the A Game of Thrones board game that you can try.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 02:56:41 PM »

Well, thanks for the unsolicited advice, but seeing as I already own AGOT the board game, it's expansion, and have been playing CCGs since right after Arabian Nights released for Magic, I think I know the lay of the land and I'll take my chances. smile

I talked with some other guys who recommended grabing the most recent base edition which would be the Valerian Edition.  I'll probably go for that.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 03:21:02 PM »

that wasnt technically unsolicited advice  Tongue

I havent heard of AGT.  Is it anything like M:TG?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 03:30:34 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
that wasnt technically unsolicited advice  Tongue

I havent heard of AGT.  Is it anything like M:TG?

Well that's true... it's early here though and I'm not a morning person, so I suppose almost anything is unsolicited at the moment. smile

It's similar in that they are both collectable card games.  It's got a pretty nice set of rules, similar to Legend of the 5 Rings, or so I'm told.  Nice characters and art, simple mechanics, but lots of strategy from the choices you have to make each turn.

If you'd like to take a look at some of the cards, I found a good website while I was researching yesterday:
http://tzumainn.com/agot

s

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 02:57:38 AM »

Thanks for the link, Sepiche.  I'm not planning on jumping into the CCG, but as a fan of the AGoT novels I like looking at the cards and seeing how they adapted it to the novels.  Looks interesting.

Not to derail your thread, but I really enjoyed the books WotC used to put out that had all the cards in them.  I quit playing the game after Ice Age hit but I still like to look at the cards and the new effects that have been incorporated into the game.

Browsing that site brought a similar feeling, particularly the different theme decks.  Man, there are a boatload of editions/expansions!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 01:25:16 AM »

Whoa, so they made a Board game and a card Game?? Damn.. I love the Songs of Ice and Fyre, and I eagerly await the long and oft delayed fourth novel, but I wish you hadn't said anything about either of these.. heaven forbid you direct link to where I could actually see and possibly purchase the items...I'm just going to ignore that site...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 02:58:26 PM »

Go for Valyrian.  This set introduced a couple of new mechanics that can't be used or defended against with the older sets.  Depending on the house you choose to play, there are probably a couple bread and butter cards you'd want from the older sets, but you'd be better off buying them separately from ebay or something rather than buying boosters to try and get them.  Also, the Valyrian premium starters come out this much which is something you might think about getting as well.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 03:25:11 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Whoa, so they made a Board game and a card Game?? Damn.. I love the Songs of Ice and Fyre, and I eagerly await the long and oft delayed fourth novel, but I wish you hadn't said anything about either of these.. heaven forbid you direct link to where I could actually see and possibly purchase the items...I'm just going to ignore that site...

I completely respect your choice to try to stay away from this game.  I'd never want to show you a place to buy it against your will. biggrin

Go for Valyrian. This set introduced a couple of new mechanics that can't be used or defended against with the older sets. Depending on the house you choose to play, there are probably a couple bread and butter cards you'd want from the older sets, but you'd be better off buying them separately from ebay or something rather than buying boosters to try and get them. Also, the Valyrian premium starters come out this much which is something you might think about getting as well.

Well I went ahead and picked up a VE booster box for a few bucks over retail just to give myself a nice selection of cards, but anything else I get in the future will probably be singles except for maybe a splurge or two when new sets come out.

I heard about the new starters.  Any idea yet what houses will be in the new premium box?

s

(Thanks to the mods for moving the thread here... nice move) slywink

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:13:16 PM »

Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, and Martell are going to be in the new premium starter.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: