http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 12:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarriors - Dice Building Game  (Read 1820 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »

Quarriors is being called "Dominion with dice" though there's a simple combat element as well.  It's also a lot of fun.

You start with 12 dice in a bag made up of "quiddity" (money) and a handful of cheap minions.  You grab six and roll each turn.  You can use your quid to put creatures into play and/or buy one creature or spell each turn (spells are cost no quid to activate when you roll them).  Your creatures then attack opposing creatures (at full attack value for each player).  There's no spillover to the player.  If your creature survives to the start of your next turn, it scores a certain amount of "glory" for you.  You play until the glory goal is reached.

It's simple, though the spells and creatures add new gameplay elements.  It's very fast moving, too.  Once you know what you're doing, it seems like it would be possible to burn through a game in less than thirty minutes (though it's not a guarantee, obviously, depending on how many players and what creatures or spells are in play).

The biggest issue I have is that not all the dice printed well.  The creature dice escpecially have different levels on different faces, and it effects what their attack or defense is (or how many "bursts" they have, which activate special powers), and some of the dice are a little sloppily printed.  It's not a deal breaker, as the information you need is printed right on the cards out in the playfield, it's just a little disappointing.

I've played a handful of games with my daughter, and we both really enjoyed it and are looking forward to playing again.  We're going to try to get the wife involved.  Dominion never clicked with her (which I still don't understand), but there's something about rolling a big handful of dice that can be very appealing.  Plus the rules take little time to explain, which is often a dealbreaker for her with new games.

Anyone else give this a go?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:25 AM »

I just got a copy of it.  I'll have a review of it eventually.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:59:06 AM »

I bought it in to our lunchtime Dom group last week with mixed results.  Most of the group felt it was too random and that they couldn't piece together and strategy other than buying the biggest monster you can pay for at any moment and hope for lucky rolls.  I think we decided we need to play with it a bit more before we get a good feel for how deep any strategy really does go, but to put it in the same class as Dom feels like it would be a mistake right now.

That said one of the guys that doesn't really like Dom (I know, right?) loved it.  I think with the speed and luck it could be a good beer and pretzels game when you don't feel like thinking too hard and need something quick.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »

Definitely lighter fare than Dominon.  And quicker.  Not to say this is your group, but I know some people can't get past the random element of dice and need pure strategy.  I do think there's a decent amount of strategy involved that's always changing based on the cards available and then again based on what you roll, but, yeah, it is certainly a beer & pretzels game.

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »

This might be good for my non-gamer wife. I'll have to order a copy
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »

I ordered a copy of this for me and my 9 year old daughter to play.  She is the only one in the house that is willing to play table-top games, so I'm hoping that she will start to get the hang of these types of games so I can move on up to other, more complex, games.  We also play Creepy Freaks .  I usually point out moves she could have made afterwards, and she is starting to see some of them on her own now smile

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

We've been having a lot of fun with this game.  My daughter is starting to get it and has won her fair share smile

For those that don't have the Quaxos Promo Cards they are now available for .01 + 4.99 s/h from the BoardGameGeek Store

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:46:35 AM »

From our playing the first turn seems critical for setting a stage.  Ideally you can cull at least 3 quid over the first 2 turns.  Our ideal mix so far is cull 3 quid and 1 assistant, 4 quid in some cases.  At this point you can fold in your discard nearly every draw helping recycle in your monsters faster.  You can end up a bit monster rich but so far it seems to work best.

So far there has been strong correlation to losing when you can't cull right away.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on October 06, 2011, 01:46:35 AM

From our playing the first turn seems critical for setting a stage.  Ideally you can cull at least 3 quid over the first 2 turns.  Our ideal mix so far is cull 3 quid and 1 assistant, 4 quid in some cases.  At this point you can fold in your discard nearly every draw helping recycle in your monsters faster.  You can end up a bit monster rich but so far it seems to work best.

So far there has been strong correlation to losing when you can't cull right away.

It depends on who you're playing with, I think.  Your group seems tuned to doing that.

There are also some cards that get more powerful with more quid.  I actually cleaned up pretty well with one of those and wound up not culling most of my starting quid.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »

Yep, this could just be the first strategy people latched on to (like when we discovered the power of Chapel in Dominion).   I'm still trying to figure out a valid portal based strat.  I think the problem there might be how fast the game moves.  If you don't jump right on making glory you get left behind.  I almost wish there were glory dice you got to counter and slow you down allowing some time to build an engine before sprinting for the win.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: