http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 06:15:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Origins Game Fair 2011  (Read 3708 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »

so, since I live right down the street I guess I'll be going ot Origins again this year (and hopefully not having a repeat of my attempt to cripple myself this year).  If they schedule my games like they did last year I'll actually have some breathing time between games, and I noticed they have this thing called 'After Dark' (events after 6pm for the 18+ crowd) which might be worth checking out.

Anyone else planning on going this year?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »

Registration and flight have been booked.  I've already started coordinating with the OO crew as well.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

I live pretty close, but can't afford actually go to the event.  Maybe I'll drive over just to meet the mystical Hadron!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »

I'm hoping they get the events up earlier than they did last year, without any hassle.  I'll probably try and get in a game of NSDM if they show (they should, they've been there every year since I started going in the mid 90's) plus I should be playing a few of Zombie Buddy Productions events.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »

I'll be there early on Thursday morning and staying until Sunday morning/afternoon.  I'm at the Hyatt in the convention center because her royal highness Zarathud from OO insists on only 2400 thread count or more sheets.  I'll be running back and forth between the brewery across the street from the con and the center for my booze and sauerkraut balls fix pretty often.  I think Issie is thinkin' of hookin' up with us, but I'm not certain if he's aware of the consequences.  I'm pretty sure Ceekay's been there every year I've attended but he's never once made a goddamn effort to stop by and say hi.  I think it's because he looks like Commander Pike from the Star Trek pilot...chair and all.

pm me if anyone going wants my cell number for the con.  our group usually texts like crazy throughout the thing.  it's like attending the con with a group of 13 year old girls.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:51:13 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

I'll have to PM you my number Hep, because at Origins if I get caught up in stuff I'll totally forget about anything else unless someone gives me a smack to the back of the head.

On a side note, as usual Comfest will be going on the same weekend so if anyone is looking for fair food it'll be practically across the street.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »

Vacation time has been submitted and approved. There are no longer any obstacles in my way for this trip. I'll likely be based out of my sister's place for the duration and rent a car for transport. Should be cheaper than getting a room. I hope parking is convenient.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »

It's downtown, so there should be plenty of parking.  It's about a 20 to 30 minute walk from my place so I just walk down. The weather is usually nice during the day, but occasionally we'll see some wicked t-storms in the evening- a couple of years ago a game I was in got interrupted by the tornado sirens going off and while the non-natives were huddling in a coat room I went outside for some fresh air.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:39:52 PM »

We should organize an after hours game of something we all like.  We could stake out some space at the hotel bar or at the origins after dark area if they keep it open late. 

Any suggestions?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:09:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2011, 10:39:52 PM

We should organize an after hours game of something we all like.  We could stake out some space at the hotel bar or at the origins after dark area if they keep it open late. 

Any suggestions?

pretty much all my friends play anymore is Settlers of Cataan; any new games they try out are usually put away within a couple of weeks, so my experience in any of them is pretty much limited to reading about them.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 02:22:36 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2011, 05:48:31 PM

I think it's because he looks like Commander Pike from the Star Trek pilot...chair and all.

No shit...just look at his picture, it looks like his wheelchair somehow ran over his own face.  icon_lol

PS I hate you all for having the time and opportunity to attend.  crybaby
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 10, 2011, 06:09:09 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2011, 10:39:52 PM

Any suggestions?

pretty much all my friends play anymore is Settlers of Cataan; any new games they try out are usually put away within a couple of weeks, so my experience in any of them is pretty much limited to reading about them.

I've got quite a few games that take about 10 minutes to learn that are quite fun.  Ascension, Conquest of Planet Earth, 7 Wonders, Citadels (a convention staple), San Juan, Cutthroat Caverns (a favorite), Pandemic, etc. ad nauseum...in other words, I got ya covered.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 09, 2011, 06:12:45 PM

On a side note, as usual Comfest will be going on the same weekend so if anyone is looking for fair food it'll be practically across the street.

I had completely forgotten about Cornfest.  Last year I went as Maize...the noblest of corns.  Not sure what I'll be doing this year.  Perhaps blue corn?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 02:12:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 12, 2011, 01:05:41 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 09, 2011, 06:12:45 PM

I had completely forgotten about Cornfest.  Last year I went as Maize...the noblest of corns.  Not sure what I'll be doing this year.  Perhaps blue corn?

you should have seen last years Zucchini fest.  they had Blue Oyster Cult playing for free; I'm telling you they finally hit the big time!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »

dang, GenCon even registration is about to go live and there's hasn't been any updates on registration for Origins since January.  I really wish the people at Origins would communicate better what's going on.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »

on another note, looking at their Facebook page it looks like they're going to be holding the con earlier the next couple of years on Memorial Day weekend:

2012: May 30-June3
2013: May 29-June 2

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »

Origins badge and event registration has been half assed as long as I can remember.  It's par for the course.  Last year I remember being extremely annoyed at the idiocy behind it.  The website was practically unusable until it was almost time for the friggin' con.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »

event listings are up.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »

Thanks.  I definitely think I'll be picking up the LARP ribbon for the werewolf and Robo Rally games. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »

Whoo hoo! 

I loves me some robo rally, by the way.  i should check that out.

we should try to get into a group game of Battlestar Galactica at some point.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »

Explain the ribbon/pricing setup to me.  The Robo Rally event is listed as a LARP, for which there isn't a ribbon specifically like the Werewolf games are listed.

In that case, is it a flat fee for the game regardless of ribbon purchase, or are the events listed with a ribbon required?  Do I need to pack in $1s like I'm headed for a strip club to purchase all the non-ribbon events that I want?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2011, 07:39:04 PM

I guess I really am out of the miniatures scene now - other than Wings of War, Classic Battletech, Warhammer and Heroclix, I don't recoginize anything on their list.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:56:02 PM by kronovan » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 02, 2011, 06:19:37 PM

Explain the ribbon/pricing setup to me.  The Robo Rally event is listed as a LARP, for which there isn't a ribbon specifically like the Werewolf games are listed.

In that case, is it a flat fee for the game regardless of ribbon purchase, or are the events listed with a ribbon required?  Do I need to pack in $1s like I'm headed for a strip club to purchase all the non-ribbon events that I want?

The robo rally game you're talking about is not the board game version, methinks.  That's most likely some real life, novelty version of the game and it most likely uses real people.  i noticed multiple listings for robo rally in the table top event list.  that's what i'd like to play.  I have no clue as to how they're handling the LARP version in regards to the ribbons.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 01:38:45 AM »

I'm not sure Robo Rally falls under any of the ribbons:

1. Amtgard – This is for unlimited play in the Amtgard boffer combat area.

2. Big Experiment – Gives access to all Looney Lab events except "Are Your a Werewolf" events.

3. Board Room – Gives access to the Board Room. There’s a couple of scheduled events in the room but it’s almost entirely open tabletop gaming using the CABS’ library of over a thousand titles.

4. HOT – This gives you free access to all historical miniature events.

5. Mayfair – Gives free access to the Mayfair Games room featuring all their scheduled events and tournaments.

6. Origins After Dark – Gives free access to the Origins After Dark events. These events begin at 6pm each evening and are geared towards our 18+ attendees.

7. Puffing Billy – Allows free entry to all Puffing Billy train game events and tournament qualifiers.

8. War College – Allows attendees to enjoy the War College seminars for free.

9. Werewolf ($10) – Allows free entry to all Looney Labs "Are You a Werewolf" events.

I'm not seeing any real LARP ribbon other than 1 and 9 and those are pretty specific.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 05:16:55 AM »

Yeah, hence my confusion.

I can tell you I'm not up for the Amtgard stuff.  I'm going to have to spend an evening or three with the mass schedule and see what I want to do. 

The Robo Rally SLARP(?) ticket looks to be $8 with no covering ribbon, and that would take Friday noon-4 based on my reading of the schedule.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 05:06:27 AM »

Event Registration finally begins Tuesday at high noon.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 12:10:54 AM »

I've been looking into Mansions of Madness (plus Battlestar Galactica the board game) and I have to say I'm looking forward to it. 

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »

I've never been a player in Mansions of Madness, so it'll be fun to be on the other side of the fence for a game.  I'll protect you little buddy!

As for BSG, that's definitely a game in which you have to be willing to backstab everyone else.  In that game, I won't be protecting you, little buddy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »

crybaby Tongue

personally I can't believe I actually signed up for a Sunday game.  a 9am Sunday game to boot.  Normally Sunday is my 'go into a coma' day of rest for Origins, so I may end up mistakenly backstabbing myself.

and possibly front stabbing myself.

I imagine a lynching will be involved somewhere too....

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »

I've got a 7 hour drive right after the game, for god's sake.  quit your whinin'!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »

At least you'll be driving, I've got a 20 minute walk home afterwards. WALK.

Tongue

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »

Yeah, but YOU'LL be sober.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »

We're almost there, folks.  About two weeks and counting.  I know those of us attending have shared our schedules and are in at least one game together that weekend.  We should also plan some form of carousing session for after hours.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »

Cabbage Patch

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »

I haven't been down to the convention center area probably since the last Origins, so I'm not sure what all is down there.  they seem to be constantly rebuilding stuff so it's hard to keep track.  I may wander around a bit after I pick up my stuff on Wednesday evening.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »

I'll be down there Thursday.  I have to pick up a rental car at 8 a.m. and get down there before my first scheduled event at 10.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 10, 2011, 06:33:49 PM

I'll be down there Thursday.  I have to pick up a rental car at 8 a.m. and get down there before my first scheduled event at 10.

luckily registration should still be kind of slow that early on Thursday.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »

Glad to hear it.  I figure it'll take me 30-45 to get the car, hopefully not rush hour traffic at 9 a.m. to get downtown, a drive of 15 miles on 270/315, park and get registered and to the event. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

I may actually drive down Wednesday and stop by my father's place that night, so I may drive down wednesday afternoon and so some shopping in the vendor hall.  I know plaidhat games is going to have limited numbers of their new Summoner Wars master sets, and I wanna get in on that action.  If I decide not to though, I'll still be there by noon on Thursday at the latest.  I just bought a new messenger bag to replace my old one, and I went with the Jack Baeur special.  In other words, I gots me enough room in that thing for multiple games to support impromptu gaming sessions.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:31 PM »

According to the website the exhibit hall isn't open Wednesday.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: