http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:43:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh no...more collectable crack..and I'm being sucked in!!!  (Read 3439 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2005, 05:07:49 PM »

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/pr20050506a

Axis and Allies Miniatures...

Why do I enjoy collecting these games so?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:39:49 PM »

I haven't heard much about this one yet, but I will say up until this point, the best WW2 miniature game by far, and one of my overall favorite miniature games is Flames of War.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/

Nice tight rules that give each nation a unique feel, but a realistic one.

I don't have pics, but I have a Russian Infantry Battalion that is a sight to see on the battlefield. slywink

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 11:53:52 PM »

Don't bother.  If you're willing to paint and assemble, you can buy much better looking white metal miniatures from affordable companies like Old Glory or Pig Iron productions.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 02:54:03 AM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
I haven't heard much about this one yet, but I will say up until this point, the best WW2 miniature game by far, and one of my overall favorite miniature games is Flames of War.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/

Nice tight rules that give each nation a unique feel, but a realistic one.

I don't have pics, but I have a Russian Infantry Battalion that is a sight to see on the battlefield. slywink

s

I saw those on BGG as well..how's the rules system?  I'm looking for a light game that is fun, but represents good combined arms.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 03:07:43 AM »

I have the rules, but I haven't read all the way through them.  From what reviews say they're easier and more action oriented ruleset, as opposed to a rules heavy simulation.  There are plenty of rules, but it's based off of defined systems.

So, it certainly won't be as gamey as a collectable game, but it'll better portray combined arms, infantry, etc...

However, their propietary miniatures are overpriced and a bit out of scale, there are dozens of WW2 15mm miniatures manufacturers out there that have the same quality at a fraction of the cost.

There's also plenty of other WW2 rules out there, all spread out along the game to simulation range of rulesets.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 02:28:06 PM »

My younger brother introduced me to Flames of War a week ago, and I'm having fun with it.  The initial expense was a bit daunting, but now that I've got a basic force, I can expand piecemeal and keep costs down.

While I've some very basic experience with Battletech from over a decade ago, this is the first table-top miniatures game I've truly gotten into - going so far as to buy and paint my own troops.  I'm having a blast learning what to do, and what not to do, to make 'em look good.

My experience with the actual gameplay is limited so far.  I sat sat in on a game where the hobby shop guys taught my little brother the basics a week ago, and finally played my first game yesterday.  The mechanics are pretty simple and will quickly become second nature.  We had 3500 points of German armor against 3500 points of American armor (all Mid-War) and the Americans got eaten alive.  The table next to us had the battle of Stalingrad going, and it was a blast to watch.  Looked fun to play as well.

Dreamshadow - if you're lookin' to check the game out, there's a group that plays every Wednesday evening (7:00) and every Sunday afternoon (1:00) at the Hobbytown USA at Parker and Independence in Plano.  It's where my brother and I will be playing.  Seem to be a good group of guys - very willing/eager to teach, and I've seen them loan armies/troops to noobs every time I've been.  Seem to be alot of Warhammer 40K folks switching over - something about "yet another price increase."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 10:54:27 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
My younger brother introduced me to Flames of War a week ago, and I'm having fun with it.  The initial expense was a bit daunting, but now that I've got a basic force, I can expand piecemeal and keep costs down.

While I've some very basic experience with Battletech from over a decade ago, this is the first table-top miniatures game I've truly gotten into - going so far as to buy and paint my own troops.  I'm having a blast learning what to do, and what not to do, to make 'em look good.

My experience with the actual gameplay is limited so far.  I sat sat in on a game where the hobby shop guys taught my little brother the basics a week ago, and finally played my first game yesterday.  The mechanics are pretty simple and will quickly become second nature.  We had 3500 points of German armor against 3500 points of American armor (all Mid-War) and the Americans got eaten alive.  The table next to us had the battle of Stalingrad going, and it was a blast to watch.  Looked fun to play as well.

Dreamshadow - if you're lookin' to check the game out, there's a group that plays every Wednesday evening (7:00) and every Sunday afternoon (1:00) at the Hobbytown USA at Parker and Independence in Plano.  It's where my brother and I will be playing.  Seem to be a good group of guys - very willing/eager to teach, and I've seen them loan armies/troops to noobs every time I've been.  Seem to be alot of Warhammer 40K folks switching over - something about "yet another price increase."

That Sunday time seems good.  Aahzmandius and I might just drop in.  Games Workshop does not have a good rep in the D/FW area right now.  Most places I've been to won't pick up new product unless it is ordered and paid for in advance.  Even worse, you'll get better prices through mail order or the website.

Are the aircraft to scale?  How deeply are the aircraft built into the game?  Thanks for the information.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 05:05:09 PM »

It's my understanding that aircraft are in the game to the extent of being ground support and not much more.  A quick glance at the rulebook shows info for strafing or bombing.  I've only seen them played once, and there they were met by AA guns and outshone by artillery.  Had the Germans not brought the AA guns, I think they would've been more effective.  Then again, they were Russian planes.  How effective could they have been? slywink

The best I can tell, BattleFront doesn't make their own planes yet (though they have stats for a pretty good selection).  From what I've looked up, most people use either 1/100th or 1/144th scale miniatures.  I know Hobbytown is pushing a brand of pre-painted metal minis with a FoW sticker on the box, but don't know if that's Hobbytown's preference or if they've been "sanctioned" by Battlefront.

I'm going to be out of town this Sunday, so if you and Aahz make it, I hope you have a blast.  If you decide to get into it, some things I would've found helpful to know up front:

1) Figure out who you'll be playing with and what time period they (want to) play.  FoW divides the war into three phases - Early, Mid, and Late War - and while there's some overlap between periods a 1500 point Early Tank Company won't be fun to play against a 1500 point Late Tank Company.

2) Look at the Intelligence Handbook for whatever time period and nationality you want to play.  You can design a force using just the standard rule book, but the Intelligence Handbooks are a bit more helpful and introduce new rules and changes.  Mid war handbooks are currently being published.  Early and Late are available for download from the site.  All rule changes are also available for download via the site.

3) Mid war Germans are TOUGH.  It's a wonder we ever won the damn war.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 06:50:28 PM »

3) Mid war Germans are TOUGH. It's a wonder we ever won the damn war.

Ah, but the Mid war Russians are MANY.  I think my infantry battalion has something around 50 stands of infantry plus mortar, AA, AT, Aircraft, and tank support. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 10:27:42 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

3) Mid war Germans are TOUGH. It's a wonder we ever won the damn war.

Ah, but the Mid war Russians are MANY.  I think my infantry battalion has something around 50 stands of infantry plus mortar, AA, AT, Aircraft, and tank support. smile

s

Oh, they are many.  I'm already worried about painting the 55 stands of a fully loaded U.S. Parachute Rifle Company (HQ, 3 combat platoons, and both weapons platoons; all with bells and whistles).

It's 111 stands for a fully-loaded Russian Infantry Battalion (HQ, 3 combat companies; all with bells and whistles) BEFORE adding weapons companies.  If I've added up the weapons companies correctly that's the possibility of ANOTHER 145 stands.  Sheesh!  With 3420 points amongst 256 stands, who needs divisional support! :wink:

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 03:27:47 AM »

Honestly, I was always a big fan of Command Decision for WW2, was very simple to play and yet as deep as you needed it for a good 6-8 hour brawl.

I Did some napolenonics, Lots of Civil War (Johnny rebel mostly) and a little ancients, I was a big fan of the macedonians, but also enjoyed 100 year war english.

Up here it feels like the wargamers are all going away, is it dropping off everywhere else too?  Also, how much do you think it would cost to pick up a decent enough mix of figures for WW2 to allow for several scenario's for 4-8 people?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 08:28:37 PM »

RULES!!!!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20050715c

I think I'm going to be using these minis for Flames of War as well. smile  They look really nice:

http://www.gamefest.com/news/feature_detail/2798_0_3_0_C/

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: