http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:11:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dragon Age Novel Out -Dragon Age: Asunder  (Read 1047 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:36:35 AM »

It officially released today. From the publisher:

A mystical killer stalks the halls of the White Spire, the heart of templar power in the mighty Orlesian Empire. To prove his innocence, Rhys reluctantly embarks on a journey into the western wastelands that will not only reveal much more than he bargained for but change the fate of his fellow mages forever.

As anyone who read the 1st 2 books knows, they were set in Fereldan- same country as the 1st PC game. This is a bit of departure, as it has the protagonist trapesing out into a very inhospitable region of Orlais. The 1st 2 books were more than decent reads, so this from the same author should be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:40:12 AM by kronovan » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »

Inhospitable? I thought the terrain was more or less similar to France.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 23, 2011, 01:16:12 PM

You think France is known for its hospitality?

slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 23, 2011, 01:16:12 PM

Most of Orlais is hospitable and you could probably draw a comparison to Earth's France. This novel however, involves adventuring to western Orlais where you find some potentionally nasty regions like the Abyssal rift, Sulphur lakes and Sea of Ash.  paranoid

In the novel's thread on the GR forum one of the members posted that he felt this book was better than the previous 2.  I thought the 1st 2 books were good, so that's promising. I just wish it was available at local bookstores, but so far no go.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:37:11 AM »

I finally got around to reading this. I thought this was probably the best written of the 3 novels, but I still feel the 2nd is the most entertaining and best story. Not much of this novel actually involved adventuring in the far west of Orlais as I originally expected, but when it did that region was every bit as bleak as I expected - bleaker actually. The base level of protagonists featured in the previous novels had steadily increased and this was no exception. In this story they're all high level characters and very accomplished; in fact they'd be considered maxed by the standards of the PnP.

This book was also by far the most politically themed of the 3. Suffice it to say, if you want to get a firm understanding of the politics and inner workings of the Circle of Mages, this book will be of great interest to you. There was nothing newer in that regard then what's in PnP, but it was very intersting to see the machinations of the Mage fraternities and the Templars played out in real drama. This book also features the return of some veteran characters from the 1st videogame and the 2nd novel; albeit there small cameos for most of them. The best thing about this book is that it had, unlike the 1st 2, a very strong ending. In fact its a real cliffhanger that if they carry the story line through to the next game or novel, Thedas is going to be shakeing and quakeing!  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:57:27 AM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: