http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:18:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MTG - getting started  (Read 7231 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on June 23, 2009, 01:56:49 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, and ... uh.. warnings smile Trust me, there's zero chance of me getting caught up in MTG spending spree.

This might prove to be false.  icon_biggrin

I've been getting caught up in it - but so far the only thing I've spent is the $10 for the XBLA version, and a small amount to DF for his generously large heap of cards.

I completely suck at the game. No question about it. I've lost probably 15 of my last 20 in the XBLA campaign  icon_redface But what's strange is that I'm really enjoying it.

I've found that I want to start playing against real people, but with the cost of driving around, the idea of a table full of smelly teenagers, just doesn't appeal to me. So I am now looking into MTG Online. Seems like a good option to make it easy to find games.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »

MTG Online is not cheap. In fact it's more expensive than playing with real cards... though you get to do it in the comfort of your own home. I joined up and am considering playing some when they have the M10 cards available, which may be now but will certainly be by this weekend.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 13, 2009, 03:31:41 PM

MTG Online is not cheap. In fact it's more expensive than playing with real cards... though you get to do it in the comfort of your own home. I joined up and am considering playing some when they have the M10 cards available, which may be now but will certainly be by this weekend.

Coop, i just signed up and added you to my buddy list. Why do you say MTGO isn't cheap? Is it because they sell at MSRP?

I thought buying from the bot-sellers, it could end up being cheaper. (i'm probably just naive). What's the best way to buy the digital cards? and/or a good way to get started building a collection?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on July 13, 2009, 03:47:48 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on July 13, 2009, 03:31:41 PM

Coop, i just signed up and added you to my buddy list. Why do you say MTGO isn't cheap? Is it because they sell at MSRP?

I thought buying from the bot-sellers, it could end up being cheaper. (i'm probably just naive). What's the best way to buy the digital cards? and/or a good way to get started building a collection?

Yes, shops sell the cards at a discount particular for volume sales (boxes), MTGO sells them at MSRP. YOu can get some good deals from the bots, obviously lots of free commons out there and decent deals on individual cards. I've only taken the freebies myself.

My plan for building a collection, which I haven't actually started yet because I was waiting for the M10 cards is to do draft queues. basically every few minutes a new draft tournament starts. You basically have to buy 3 packs of cards plan an event ticket. Then everyone opens their packs, picks a card and passes to the next player. This way you get new cards for your money just like opening packs and get the bonus of playing with them in a structured format for modest prizes. There are various prize formats, I like the looks of the pack per win. If you are good you can get a little extra for your money.

Once I start building a collection that way I'll be happy to play with you. I'm still learning about all that has changed since Homelands (~1996), which was the last set I played with.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »

IMO drafting is pretty tough on new players.  It combines the skills of card picking, deck building, and some draft metagaming (defensive drafting, etc) in addition to the actual gameplaying.  It is a painful way to learn, unless you use a strategy of just picking cards you want to own and do not care about getting stomped in your games.

My understanding is that leagues are currently not working in MTGO, which is a shame.  Doing a sealed deck league is a pretty good way to learn, since you can get help with your deckbuilding and play a lot of games for not too much money.  I made a brief venture into MTGO when it first started and had some fun with a sealed deck league.

Does MTGO have any free play areas at all, where they let you play with intro/theme decks or something?  That would be ideal for a newbie.

If you're looking for regular play, my advice would be to try to gather as many cheap commons as you can and look around for good, cheap deck designs that you can put together for not too much money.  Several Magic sites, including Wizards themselves, should have regular columns for the budget deckbuilder.  I used to always keep a few all-commons decks in my bag to use against new players or when I didn't want to play my tourney-level decks.

Anyway, that's my attempt to save you from the digital/cardboard crack addiction while still having fun with Magic.  I may dip back in a bit just to pick up some of the new intro/theme decks for casual play.  I have a set of the Tempest theme decks and those are still pretty fun to play a casual game with once in a while.  If you have a friend who is interested, you might consider picking up some preconstructed theme decks and playing around with those.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:42:45 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 14, 2009, 02:40:25 PM

IMO drafting is pretty tough on new players.  It combines the skills of card picking, deck building, and some draft metagaming (defensive drafting, etc) in addition to the actual gameplaying.  It is a painful way to learn, unless you use a strategy of just picking cards you want to own and do not care about getting stomped in your games.

I see your point there, but I guess I have enough background with the game that I'm comfortable with it - and I really don't mind getting stomped. It may be different for Jeff. Drafting forces me to consider different options and try different strategies that I normally wouldn't use.

Sealed is another way to go where you only have to worry about deck building with limited resources (time being one of those), but on MTGO Sealed tourneys are much harder to come by. Drafts of many flavors are constantly kicking off.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 14, 2009, 02:40:25 PM

Which is why right now is the perfect time to jump in and try out some drafting. Typically, core set drafts are 'easy'. There's still some drafting for synergy involved, but typically the picks go 'bombs, then removal, then critters/tricks' - it's not nearly as difficult as drafting, say for example, shards of alara block. Where you find yourself in the artifact deck, and won't necessarily need to pay as much attention to card synergies.

For example, you have the following cards in your pile (or expect to get the Glassdust Hulk in pack three)
+ + = synergy

The artifact creature is always better when cards have similar stats. (Although I'd almost always prefer the flier to the first striker anyways... but whatever)

vs

And is probably the best common you can hope for in the third pack.

But you might not realize these things. Especially the first time you play a draft.

With M10, you have 'simpler' cards, with simpler interactions - so you won't have to watch for these kinds of things. Aside from simple things like 'I have an elf lord, so now I want elves', there's not much to watch out for, and that's good. Things like 'defensive drafting' - to which I assume you're referring to 'hate-picking' a card simply because it's the most powerful card in a deck that you just don't want to face - I seldom recommend doing.

Additional example - On Sunday, I drafted a really awesome blue/black deck, very traditional magic deck. It had five 'walls' to muck up the ground and defend while I got going, four or five flier creatures to 'win' with, a trio of gravediggers (2/2, get back a creature from your graveyard to your hand) to revive the fliers should they die, a few counterspells (not too many), some card draw, and some removal spells. I lost both draft rounds I played. I still loved the deck. It was everything I love about playing magic, in deck form. It just did not do very well. In the second match, I lost to someone who was playing their first draft ever.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:18:08 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »

Man, I am so out of touch with the recent card sets/rules.  Artifact creatures have colors now?

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 14, 2009, 05:17:53 PM

Man, I am so out of touch with the recent card sets/rules.  Artifact creatures have colors now?

In shards of alara they did, anyways. I believe it's the first time they've done it. Kind of defeats the original definition of 'artifact creature' but it was a very flavorful addition.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2009, 01:46:52 AM »

Any chance I could talk a few you of you regulars here into getting MTGO and us having a small group of people that could play together? I don't mind losing 1000 times in a row (I do that now in the XBLA version) because I just love this game and the challenge it presents.

What I really dig about MTGO is that there is no pressure that a monthly fee presents. You pay $9.99, and for that you get something back (cards, tix, etc) and then the rest is up to you, only spending what you want to. I've been learning about how to best build a collection for the lowest cost. Today I figured how to open my Vanguard pack (free) and I scored around 70 free commons from a few bots. Other bots are selling 100 commons for one event ticket (about 90 cents) and you can get 5 rares for about the same. Apparently, the best way to build a theme deck is to find it's list and then find the cards on the bots for the best price.

I'm reading the Magic Academy series on the Wizards site, but I'd love it if I could get some one on one training sometime, from one you pros, maybe on skype or something? That would be really great.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »

Jeff, I play on MTGO.  I'm very casual with a deep collection.  I have some commons I could throw at you too.  I don't have a deck built at this time ( my old decks were on my old computer ), but do enjoy that aspect of the game and will work on some to play with you.  I even wrote a program to randomly created blind decks.  It will randomly pick cards from your collection, then add in the appropriate lands.  Me and my friends would play these decks without looking at the contents.  I'm also working on a Sealed Deck Generator.  What this one does is pick cards from your collection in appropriate pack rarities ( you'll be able to specify if you want it from your entire collection, or which specific sets ).  You, and your friends, then open up the text deck in your deck editor and create the best deck you can.  It is a good way to practice, utilize your own cards and save money smile

Anyway, add me to your buddy list in MTGO by typing /addbuddy Cragmyre in any chat area.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »

Thanks Crag, that sounds great. I've added you to my buddy list, and would love to get whatever commons you could spare. My collection right now (not counting basic lands) is about 66 smile

I'm going to be spending some time today & tomorrow looking at some beginner deck lists and trying to get enough cards to fill out a few of those.

Does MTGO have a spectator mode, so noobs could watch more experienced players' games?
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »

Most games in the non-tourney rooms allow watchers ( unless the creator of the game disables it ).  I don't believe you can watch drafts or other tournament events, but I've never tried.

When I make decks I don't tend to stick with a format ( at first ) so I usually use cards from any set.  I do follow deck building rules though ( i.e. use no more than 4 of a given card unless the card ( Relentless Rats ) allows me to do so ( mind you, Blind Builder doesn't care and should always be played in Freeform mode ).

Anyway, I'm at work so though I might be able to log on and build decks, text chat, or trade, I can't really play.

What was your game name?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:55 PM »

on MTGO, i'm 'Jeff66' - no rush on the trades, just whenever you have time.

edit: moved links to the OP
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:47:51 PM by Jeff » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on July 15, 2009, 01:46:52 AM

Any chance I could talk a few you of you regulars here into getting MTGO and us having a small group of people that could play together?

I'll be available to play late evenings (10pm+ CST) starting shortly after M10 is released in MTGO.

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »

Are there any totally free play (with intro decks or something) areas in MTGO?  I think the beta MTGO had those, but that was ages ago.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »

There is the free trial.  You download the client then click on the Free Trial link.  ( Though MTGO is down at the moment for patching ).  The free trial uses the precons from the 10th Edition Core set ( though it will probably be upgraded when M10 comes out ).

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »

Cool, thanks.  I may have to try that out after M10 is released as a quick fix.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »

Reminder: It's release events weekend. If you want to play some competitive MTG, and get a first taste of it, this is a good weekend to do it.

My local store is doing sealed deck. $25, for 6 packs of M10, plus a foily promo alternate art ant queen:

^ Not this art, a different art. That card is sooooooo goooooooood. Goes great in a deck with your foil promo Garruk when you get it from Duals of the Planeswalkers
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 15, 2009, 06:17:08 PM

Cool, thanks.  I may have to try that out after M10 is released as a quick fix.

I guess I was too optimistic about them being able to put M10 online the same time the physical cards hit. A couple extra weeks before we see the new set in MTGO. frown

August 3: Magic 2010

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »

I got to draft a little with M10 in Beta.  But I don't recall them ever releasing online the same time as paper.  Though I did take a break between Lorywn through Alara.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2009, 01:13:07 PM »

Big thanks to Cragmyre for spending a few hours online with me in MTGO last night. Aside from giving me a boatload of digital cards, he helped me build my first deck, built a mono deck to play against me, then schooled me (in several ways) on Magic. Man, was it fun! I have been missing about 90% of the game I think, having only played the XBL version.

I got a taste of how great deck builders can use cards to build powerful combos. I'm very much looking forward to learning more.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »

Is anyone here going to be in KC for nationals this weekend?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2009, 01:59:57 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on July 18, 2009, 01:13:07 PM

Big thanks to Cragmyre for spending a few hours online with me in MTGO last night. Aside from giving me a boatload of digital cards, he helped me build my first deck, built a mono deck to play against me, then schooled me (in several ways) on Magic. Man, was it fun! I have been missing about 90% of the game I think, having only played the XBL version.

I got a taste of how great deck builders can use cards to build powerful combos. I'm very much looking forward to learning more.

I can't beleive how hard it has been for me to avoid ordering a box of M10 cards or the M10 intro decks, despite the fact that I have literally nobody to play with. I'm going to continue trying to wait for MTGO to get the new cards, but it's hard!

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2009, 03:36:43 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 22, 2009, 01:59:57 PM

Quote from: Jeff on July 18, 2009, 01:13:07 PM

I can't beleive how hard it has been for me to avoid ordering a box of M10 cards or the M10 intro decks, despite the fact that I have literally nobody to play with. I'm going to continue trying to wait for MTGO to get the new cards, but it's hard!

I've managed to resist so far. I have no one to play with either (face to face).

Tried playing some in the casual -->new players room on MTGO last night, but ran into 3 straight turds who were anything but new players, and were harassing me and trying to rush me. Really kind of soured me on it.

DF, did you get my PM from a few days ago?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:38:31 PM by Jeff » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

I could probably try playing you in MTGO, but I really have next to nothing for cards. A handful of commons and 45 cards from a draft where I failed spectacularly.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 01:38:25 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 22, 2009, 04:10:00 PM

I could probably try playing you in MTGO, but I really have next to nothing for cards. A handful of commons and 45 cards from a draft where I failed spectacularly.

Have you visited the bots that give out 64 free commons? there are 2 or 3 of those. Also you can use your $10 credit to buy tix and then use the tix to buy lots of cards cheap.

I've amassed about 550 digital cards so far, but a lot of that is via the generosity of friends.

Besides, we could just play for fun. Or if you like we could construct pauper decks (commons only) and play with those.

Anything is better than playing with the snot-nosed, zero-attention span brats that I've run into so far.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 11:30:33 PM »

Wow totally missed this thread. Myself and 2 friends just started up on MTGO(online) about a month ago. We've been playing fairly regularly but would be awesome to find some new folks to play with. Im Ythgar in game add me to friends list and shoot me a tell if anyone wants to play. I'm not a noob to the game and willing to offer help or advice and I don't have any super uber decks like you will find in "casual" (yeah right) play. smile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: