http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:05:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel Heros  (Read 3066 times)
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:24:50 PM »

I got the new boardgame "Marvel Heros" in the mail yesterday and I spent today deciphering the rules. It's a really nice boardgame with nicely made figures and lots of cards and stuff.

I hope to play a 2 player game thursday night with a friend. Anyone got this and find it fun?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:24:00 AM »

Let's hear some impressions after you get a game or two in!   I was interested in this, but I went with BattleLore instead.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 04:17:31 AM »

I had the same decision as Nth, but my willpower was weak, and I got both.  I'm a bad man.

I read through the rules for Marvel, and I hope to get a practice game in and then a real one after the football game this weekend.

I figured since War of the Ring is in my top five games of all time, and this one has a theme I can get others interested in, plays more than two, and lasts less than two hours, I'll have more luck getting it played more frequently.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 09:10:32 PM »

Thursday night has been moved to saturday so I will write up some impression then. I have been messing around with the board by myself and the headlines look like it could be fun.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:14:22 PM »

Here's my rambling impressions from the other night that I posted on OO:

A friend of mine has been lusting after this board game for over a year now and it finally came out in time for me to get it for him for Chistmas. So we got together with a few friends of ours last night and proceded to put the hurt on evil doers.

The game is from Fantasy Flight and the bits for the most part are top notch. It comes with prepainted plastic miniatures representing four super hero teams. The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, The X-Men, and the Marvel Knights (4 mainly solo characters brought together for the game). Each team also has a figure to resresent their nemesis.

The object of the game is to complete troubleshooting tasks (fight crime, etc) around New York to gather victory points. Once someone reaches the goal the game will end at the end of that turn, and players have until the very end to end up with the most victory points.

Each player selects one super team to play and then passes their teams nemesis to their left. The player on the left will be responsible for taking actions for that villain throughout the game.

The action revolves around using plot points each turn to ready characters for battle on the main board. Players go around and perform actions with their readied heroes. The meat of the game is really the troubleshooting. Here a single hero, a hero supported by another, or multiple heroes can try to face enemies to gain the victory points offered by a headline.

Trouble points are generated based on the difficulty of the headline and the other players use those points to play their villain cards. In this way they deploy one lead villain to combat the heroes and then can use any remaining trouble points to play additional agents and other bonuses for the villain to use.

Once this is done the battle lines are drawn and game goes into the combat phase. Each villain and hero has two or three powers they can choose from each round. Once powers are selected the players do a series of rolls using special dice to attack eachother and then try to outwit eachother, continuing until one player is knocked out. All the while bother players will have different abilities and cards they can play to change the outcome of rolls.

The way the game plays leads to a nice combination of coop and head to head play. While all the players are trying to get the most victory points, when it comes to troubleshooting it's up to all three of the opposing players to play villain cards to fight the heroes. This does a great job of keeping players focused and interested in the game, even when they aren't the acting player.

We had to call our game a bit early as it was getting late, but by then Doc Doom had managed complete the first part of his master plan by building himself a suit of mystic armor, and Magneto's plan was underway as well. And poor Mr. Fantastic... beaten down like a dog by the lowly Rhino. I'll never live that one down.

Overall the game has lots of great elements from it's theme and any comic book fan will enjoy spending hours looking through the many cards. It does drag at times, but there are many design elements to keep this to a minimum.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »

Nice writeup Sepiche.

I will add a little of my experience to your comments. I played two games this past sunday and I won BOTH!!

Reading and understanding the rules seemed like it took FOREVER but one we started playing the rules made sense and there was less confusion then most games by this company.

Different Super Hero teams work differently together and you really have to figure out how to use them properly to win. I played one game with the Fantastic Four and we felt Mr. Fantastic's super power was a much to powerful. He is able to use one resource card to discard all double hits from a villian's roll. I used this OVER and OVER against Doctor Doom and easily one. I wonder if it should you can use his power once per combat.

Otherwise, there is ALOT of modifiers and a ton of theme. You can just imagine in your head Captain America investigating a tidal wave only to find a Sentinel involved and taking them out with his indestructable shield. It was pretty fun stuff.

We only played a two player game but I think a three or four player game would get even more complex and fun.

The board and pieces are really well made and fun to use. I give this game a thumbs up.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 01:16:55 AM »

Nice impressions guys!  I'll probably end up getting it in the near future.

How is replayability?  Do some things change every game?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 03:59:13 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on December 19, 2006, 01:16:55 AM

Nice impressions guys!  I'll probably end up getting it in the near future.

How is replayability?  Do some things change every game?

Well, you can play as four different super hero teams who have different powers and abilities. Some teams are better at somethings than others. Also, the game comes with a bunch of different scenarios who changes ability conditions as well as victory conditions.

I played a three person game last night with some friends. It actually worked out pretty well as both players work together against as villians against the current player who is playing their super heros. I ended up losing by one victory point.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 08:45:13 PM »

Just a note to anyone who owns Marvel Heros. Alot of people are reporting the game board is warping and/or the paper is peeling away from it. It happened to me also and I have only had it for two months and played the game about 5 times.

Fantasy Flight Games is promising to replace the board and I got an email yesterday saying they will send it out as soon as they get replacements in. If anyone is having this happen, contact fantasy flight.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on February 02, 2007, 08:45:13 PM

Just a note to anyone who owns Marvel Heros. Alot of people are reporting the game board is warping and/or the paper is peeling away from it. It happened to me also and I have only had it for two months and played the game about 5 times.

Fantasy Flight Games is promising to replace the board and I got an email yesterday saying they will send it out as soon as they get replacements in. If anyone is having this happen, contact fantasy flight.

man, thanks a ton scoop!  I just opened mine up this past weekend to play with a friend who was in town and noticed the board was warped horribly.  i'll definitely contact FFG about this now that I know it wasn't moisture in the air or some other problem i wasn't aware of.

edit:  do you have an e-mail address for contacting them?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:35:23 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 04:45:42 PM »

Wow. A month late responding to this. I am sorry.

This is taken from the Marvel Heros forum:

Unfortunately, I have seen posts that the new boards being sent out are having the same warping problem. I haven't seen the problem with mine but one suggestion I saw was to take the old "warped" board and cut it into four pieces and it seems lay flat then.

wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 01:27:13 AM »

How large are those little figures?  I ask because I'm getting this for my gf, the the lack of a Gambit would make her very sad.  So I'm looking for an aftermarket Gambit that won't completely tower over the rest.

edit: After furious searching, I saw someone come up with a great answer in case anyones interested... heroclix!  You can pretty much add your favorite character doing this, since it seems like there's tons of heros for that game.  Nice little miniatures too.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:47:09 AM by wonton » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: