http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:00:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Market Study on Game Spending (all platforms)  (Read 1106 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »

Gamastura reported on this interesting market study, though given that it's based on answers from 13,000 respondents from age 8  saywhat and up, take it with a slight grain of salt.

Study: 20% of U.S. Game Spending Devoted To MMOs, Portals
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26293&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Frankly (even as a devoted PC gamer), my headline would be "Consoles Take Over the Universe." Or is that too obvious? icon_smile

It is interesting that console spending seems weakest (45% share) and PC gaming strongest (36%) in Germany.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

I'm not surprised. Consoles have had excellent penetration into the household market and the games for them are fun for just about everyone. And that's only going to increase as more and more people get bigger and better TVs.

That being said, as a PC gamer, I've found my tastes switching from AAA titles to just A or B class or even indie games. This week I find myself looking more towards MP games of Solium Infernum than I do playing online L4D2 on the PC. So let the consoles have the big flashy games that cost millions to make. As long as I get the PC games made with a passion by the smaller development houses I'm happy.

Oh, and getting to play those flashy console games is just icing on the cake.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:36:50 PM »

I'm actually surprised that the pies for USA, UK and France are that similar. Without any real stats to go on, I'm going to say the higher % of PC gaming in Germany and the Benelux countries is because some console games still aren't localized into the language of majority there. I read somewhere that the most common localization languages for console games are English, French, Spanish and Japanese. Which might explain why the console slices in the  countries with those languages is well over 1/2 the pie and similar. I can't say I'm too impressed with a study that doesn't split out handhelds from consoles and includes 5 EU countries, but excludes Spain, Italy and the Scandinavian countries.

I'm also not surprised about the small size of the mobile phone slices. I know it's still early, but Apple's claims that the iPod and iPhone are reinvented gaming and eating up the market is just a lot of talk IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: