http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:24:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Suggestions  (Read 3326 times)
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2005, 04:43:29 AM »

Thanksgiving is approaching and at the family gathering a board game seems like it would be just the thing.  

I will have up to 5 people playing and am looking for something that is fairly addicting and does not require one person to be in a game master type role.  To give you an idea of the type of games I like, I was a Games Workshop junky with Talisman, Chaos Mauraders, and Dungeon Quest.  The other people are fairly sharp and can handle something somewhat involved.

Any suggestions?
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 07:25:43 PM »

Sounds like you're looking for more cooperative games.

Runebound 2nd edition from Fantasy Flight.  Basically RPG-lite

Arkham Horror is also good, running around Arkham, defeating various lovecraftian horrors.

Betrayal at the house on the hill (or something similar) is also a good game, however halfway through the game one of the players will become the monster player who will work against the players as they try to defeat him.

Shadows Over camelot is pure COOP using a card deck to determine what the bad guys do.  However, there is a chance of one player being a "Traitor" and having to work against the group secretly.  Rules variants allow you to remove this option.

Return of Heroes is a recent european in a similar vien to runebound.

Look up all these on boardgamegeek.com to read reviews and the like.  Most fantasy flight games will have the rules for download on their site so you can get an even better idea of how the game plays.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 09:01:12 PM »

Have you played Ticket to Ride?  It's great fun and easy to pick up and learn.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:11:45 PM »

Excellent, guys!  I am going to have to check these out.  I have heard of a couple of these but have not played any of them.  Cooperative is good but not mandatory since my family can be a little cutthroat.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 02:01:06 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Sounds like you're looking for more cooperative games.

Runebound 2nd edition from Fantasy Flight.  Basically RPG-lite

Arkham Horror is also good, running around Arkham, defeating various lovecraftian horrors.

Betrayal at the house on the hill (or something similar) is also a good game, however halfway through the game one of the players will become the monster player who will work against the players as they try to defeat him.

Shadows Over camelot is pure COOP using a card deck to determine what the bad guys do.  However, there is a chance of one player being a "Traitor" and having to work against the group secretly.  Rules variants allow you to remove this option.

Return of Heroes is a recent european in a similar vien to runebound.

Look up all these on boardgamegeek.com to read reviews and the like.  Most fantasy flight games will have the rules for download on their site so you can get an even better idea of how the game plays.

Betrayal at House on the Hill: There are some scenarios in which it's the players versus a generic monster, and none of the players are the bad guy...but this is the exception rather than the rule.  

I don't understand why, but most BGG'ers and local gamers don't like Betrayal.  I think it's the randomness of the game.  Meh.  I think it's perfect, mostly due to the atmosphere.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
aahzmandius
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 02:13:08 AM »

So...looking for good, easy to pick up games for your family, eh?

From those already listed, I'd recommend Shadows over Camelot, Ticket to Ride (and its similar game, Ticket to Ride - Europe).  These are all

Further, for pure Co-Op, I'd recommend Vanished Planet.

For fun, easy to pick up games, try Carcassonne, Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers, or Carcassonne: The City.

The problem a lot of the people in Dallas Gamers and BGG have with Betrayal at House on the Hill is the excessive randomness to it. Strategy is an afterthought, and those crowds like strategy. There's also the randomness of the game length. The game could only last 15 minutes, or go an hour plus.

Oh, well...I should bow out now,
--Aahzmandius

--Aahzmandius
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 02:31:08 AM »

Quote from: "aahzmandius"
So...looking for good, easy to pick up games for your family, eh?

From those already listed, I'd recommend Shadows over Camelot, Ticket to Ride (and its similar game, Ticket to Ride - Europe).  These are all

Further, for pure Co-Op, I'd recommend Vanished Planet.

For fun, easy to pick up games, try Carcassonne, Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers, or Carcassonne: The City.

The problem a lot of the people in Dallas Gamers and BGG have with Betrayal at House on the Hill is the excessive randomness to it. Strategy is an afterthought, and those crowds like strategy. There's also the randomness of the game length. The game could only last 15 minutes, or go an hour plus.

Oh, well...I should bow out now,
--Aahzmandius

Ahh...so I live in the wrong city then.  Okay.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 03:19:24 PM »

Alright!  Time to hit boardgamegeek.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 12:54:40 AM »

If you want a more cutthroat game, try "A Game of Thrones" based on the same series of novels by George R. R. Martin.

A lot of diplomacy and backstabbing along with military conquest.

There's many layers to its gameplay, as not only do you have to manage your military conquest and make deals with other players, you vy for control of certain meta aspects of the game, which give you abilities such as resolving ties, deciding who goes first, the ability to see what your opponent has planned, etc...  These are represented by secret bidding wars.

It's like Fantasy Diplomacy with a lot more layers.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 05:54:17 PM »

Given your requirements I'd really recommend Runebound, Arkham Horror, or Shadows over Camelot.  If there will be a significant number of people there who are not often game players I would really recommend Shadows Over Camelot.  It's a great game that's easy to convince people to play, the rules are easy to learn, and having a traitor gives the game some teeth to keep it interesting.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:15:17 PM »

An update:

I just picked up Runebound although I think it may be the first of several I will end up getting.  I read about most of everyone's suggestions on boardgamegeek and this seemed like a good one.  Plus I am a sucker for anything with 5 million expansons.

Thanks all!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 09:26:27 PM »

Think of runebound more of an RPG lite, for when either people don't want to play a whole detailed RPG session that night, or when you have players that aren't role players.

Then all those little expansions make sense.  They're equipment supplements, class supplements, premade adventures, etc...

I wasn't too keen on Runebound due to lack of player interaction.  It didn't feel as though the players are really competing, nor did it feel like the players were cooperating to defeat an enemy.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 10:04:11 PM »

Flipping through the rules I can see your point.  But the non-role player thing is in effect so this should be a good compromise.   I am going to play with some friends tonight to see how it works out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: