http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:11:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a post-apocalyptic PnP RPG  (Read 8700 times)
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2005, 06:55:51 PM »

The title says it all.  I've dabbled in pen and paper D&D (as opposed to, you know, Baldur's Gate or something), and now I want to find a table top role playing game set in a post-apocalyptic world (think Fallout/Road Warrior).  Any ideas?  If none of those exist, then maybe a cool sci-fi RPG could satisfy?

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »

Wow.  I used to play Gamma World back in the early '80's but I seriously doubt it's around anymore.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 07:33:32 PM »

Final Days is one I've been meaning to try. End of the world, zombies, vampires, demons standard fare.

Ascendent
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 01:30:05 AM »

Wizards has their own d20 Modern rules, with an Apocalypse book coming soon.

Steve Jackson Games has plenty of GURPS books, a few of which include things you described.

I think Shadowrun is long gone, but that might have been perfect.  I can't know of any current game world with multiple sourcebooks.  Most are now self-contained rule books, leaving the DM to work out the rest.  The good news (or bad, depending on your view) is that most of them use the standard d20 rule set outlined in the D&D core books.

Fatasy Flight Games has a d20 book, Redline that nails your Road Warrior wishes:

The world has moved on, and burning asphalt connects the creaking remains of civilization across miles of wasteland. To stay alive, you've got to keep ahead of the warlords, the Creep clouds, the muties... and to do that, you need gas, guns, and gear, in that order.

Take on the role of the marauder, walker, redliner, talker, or rigger. Explore buried high-tech military complexes or navigate treacherous green zones with mutie critters and cannibal savages. Some will be survivors, some will be heroes. Good luck being both.

You can even download a preview of the book and character sheet from the link.

If I think of more I will let you know.  Good luck, and in the meantime I seriously suggest you give a look at Redline.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 05:19:08 AM »

I think one of the best post-apoc games out there is Darwin's World.

Home page here:
http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?page=dw
There are a few free downloads that will give you a feel for the game.

Review:
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10687.phtml

It's based off the d20 Modern system.  If you do order it, make sure you get the hard cover version.  The soft cover is the 1st edition and based on the D&D 3.0 rules.

SH

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 05:45:24 AM »

Hell on Earth: The Wasted West

It's a continuation of the Deadlands: The Weird West where it assumes all the heroes, including past characters, failed to do their job and the world went to hell.

Not your typical hell, though.  Imagine mad max, meets cthulu horror, meets armageddon.
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 06:45:46 AM »

If you want Mad Max... either you work some kinda hybird between Car Wars and a rpg...  Or you do something silly like TMNT (Which was a RPG) that had post apolyptic rules)

If you want futureish... theres Shadowrun (amazing game), Cyberpunk, Gamma World....

there is also a few decent lists online,.. here's a link to one:
http://www.rpgtimes.net/rpgtimes/article.php?article_id=435&origin=archive

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 09:01:44 PM »

For those that want to know, here is a link the Shadowrun.
http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/

A 4th edition is planned to come out this summer.  It will not be compatible with the rules of previous editions.  World source books are fine, but books of rules and equipment (rigger, grimore, samuria) will not.  There is has been some news about the new rule system.  Some people speculate it will be similar to the new World of Darkness rules, but no one knows for sure at this point.

SH

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 01:58:22 AM »

Hopefully, this time they'll actually include some rules for core gameplay elements this time around.

Last few times they make you buy all those supplement books just to get the core rules for the items they describe.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 06:17:41 PM »

Heh...the only one I ever played (and liked) was Twilight 2000.  I'm sure it's long gone by now in retail but you could probably find it someone cheap.  Someone knew what they were doing when they wrote the backstory though it's long out of date now.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 01:18:36 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Wow.  I used to play Gamma World back in the early '80's but I seriously doubt it's around anymore.

LOL.  I played in the late 70's.  Cool concept that never really got fleshed out.

Quote from: "Turtle"
Hell on Earth: The Wasted West

It's a continuation of the Deadlands: The Weird West where it assumes all the heroes, including past characters, failed to do their job and the world went to hell.

Not your typical hell, though.  Imagine mad max, meets cthulu horror, meets armageddon.

Now that sounds cool as heck.  When can we expect the computer game version?  MMORPG?   :wink:
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 04:37:45 AM »

Gamma World lives on as a D20 game
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 06:31:10 AM »

Quote from: "RedJak"

Gamma World lives on as a D20 game

I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it.  Gamma World is da bomb, yo.  I might have posted links, a few months ago, but some site was selling the old modules in PDF format.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 01:33:16 PM »

AFTERMATH

Accept no substitutes.

Be warned that the rules are dense and highly technical.

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=2973
Phydeaux
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 11:29:25 AM »

I realize this thread is older than old, but have you looked into a game called "The End"? It's a "post-biblical" game about the meek who inherit the Earth after the end of the world... those not good enough for heaven, or bad enough for hell. Great stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: