http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 06:31:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Praise of Small Box Games  (Read 1018 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »

I recently came across this small, husband and wife board/card game developer outside Atlanta that makes some of the best indie games around.   Small Box Games.  I can't recommend two of their currently available games enough:  

Omen: A Reign of War and Tooth and Nail: Factions.

Both are great, but Omen is up for boardgamegeek's best 2 player game of 2012 award.  I HIGHLY recommend checking out their games if you're a fan of this hobby.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:39:22 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered Omen from their website. All their games are 10 dollars off right now with free shipping-- I think. Their website is doing very strange things at the moment, but I was able to place an order for $35.

My daughter is fully into Greek mythology now so she'll get a real kick out of this game.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »

I'm glad you were able to grab a copy.  John and Britt (the husband and wife team that runs the shop) only do limited print runs, so once a game is sold out, the odds of it coming back in print are minimal unless there's a huge demand.  

I played Omen last night and I absolutely love this little gem.  It's easy to learn but each turn gives you so many options.  And the artwork is amazing.  Greek mythology via what appears to be water paints?  Gorgeous...just gorgeous.  

p.s. Yeah, the sale is great and it's still going on.  I couldn't resist and ordered EVERYTHING they currently offer last week when it started.  While Omen is my favorite game so far, Tooth and Nail is a close second with quite a few plays in our group because of how fast it can be setup/played and the elegant and fun 4 player variant that's included.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:29:20 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:42 PM »

Make sure you go to the Super Sale page.

You can buy the games (including a bundle of all three) for regular price, too (which came out to be $20 more expensive for the bundle).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »

They have a bundle sale too.   It's off their twitter and face book pages.  All 3 games for 75 bucks with free shipping. Click on the Twitter link on the main page and you'll see it in one of their latest tweets.  I wasn't aware of that when I ordered last week.  However, with the super sale, I only spent two dollars more than the bundle sale price.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:30:18 PM by hepcat » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 06:36:50 PM »

I've seen Omen ARoW played at out gaming societies' monthly meets, but I've always been too busy playing in BatttleTech sessions to get in a game. There seems to be at least 1 session every meet now, so I know its popular. I'll likely pick it up for a filler game.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »

Omen's sold out from smallboxgames.com.  However, boardsandbits.com has copies still available.

Played another game Saturday night and got my butt handed to me after my opponent was able to pull a metric ton of Oracles out of the deck during his draw and fuel his economy.  In most games, that would be the kiss of death, but Omen does have some mechanics that allow you to get past that...I just wasn't good enough yet to know how to do that effectively.   icon_cry

...but hey, I'll keep practicing.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:00:31 PM by hepcat » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »

These look nice...they should get someone to adapt them for iOS.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »

John put up the preview page for his next kickstarter campaign. Three full games this time.  I'm going the 62 dollar route when it goes live so I can get all three games.  

I also just noticed that the stretch rewards include mini expansions for many of his earlier games.  Nice. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:17:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »

Anyone wanting to get in  on the ground floor for their next three games, John over at SBG has started a kickstarter for them.

He's already got all the art and assets ready to go and is just trying to raise 10,000 for production costs.  Because of that, he's only set it to 18 days and it will ship by January of next year.

Oh, and he made over 9,000 in the first 24 hours.   icon_biggrin

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:07:22 AM »

grab tooth and nail: factions and Hemloch for 22 bucks with shipping today.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:13:45 AM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: