http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Want in on the DMing Fun  (Read 1443 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:14:21 AM »

So I think I want to give DMing a 4th edition game a shot.  I don't have a hard date in mind for a start time, nor a particular day of the week (though Sat is out).  Time will be after or around ~7 PM EST.  I'm not new at PLAYING on maptool but I haven't DMed so I think I'll have a bit to learn (hence the uncertain start time smile). 

My idea is to run a "mini-campaign" to see how it goes - something running from 1st to maybe 3rd level (part of it will be a mod published for Free RPG day).  The game will be set in Eberron so if anyone has had an idea for a warforged or Dragonmarked character, now is the time to break 'em out!

I'm thinking I'll run Maptool - either the newest (which is a tiiiiiiiiny bit buggy) or B50 which I like.  And I'm THINKING of NO voice chat.  I know I know it seems impossible without it but I think it'll add a lot to the roleplaying AND cut down on having to keep track of official and unofficial requests on both chat and voice.

So if anyone wants to express interest drop a line here.  Be as general or specific as you like, including things like start time, day of week, character class etc etc etc

Oh and because I think they're silly - I don't think I'll allow Genasi and POSSIBLY  no Changelings (at least as PCs).  Though if you want to play a "monster" race I'm most likely pretty open to that (and can give you stats for them on request).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:56 AM »

Well, from experience with Rich's game here (and Crayola's game before), voice is a huge boon. Not all of us fully understand the rules and whatnot, and having voice allows us to quickly figure out what's what.

However, if you can get Maptool (or Fantasy Grounds, which is what we're using and is totally lag free (unlike Maptool was)) fully configured as far as our characters go, that can cut down on a lot of things. It just puts more work onto the DM to make sure it works beforehand.

On the flip side, I could see RP improvements because of it. We could get more descriptive with our characters and RP just a bit better if we didn't have to voice things out. It's just slower overall (and I type pretty quickly, IMHO).

That said - I have no problems joining a second game, although I'll quickly defer my slot to somebody else that hasn't had a chance to do so and wanted to do so in the past. As of right now, any weekday is best, as I only work one weekday (and even then odds are decent I could be available at your time even though I'm over on PST time right now in Arizona).

Finally - if Rich doesn't join this game (and something tells me he just might so he can try out things 'from the other side'), I'll give you a hand on Maptool/Fantasy Grounds if you need it. Just give me a hollar.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:16:07 AM »

I'd be up for a mini-campaign.  I haven't used Maptool yet, but I'm pretty solid with the 4e rules.  Weekdays after 7 EST work OK for me. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »

I am willing to join up, depending on the day/time.  I would likely not be available until 8 PM after my daughter goes to bed.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 06:19:31 AM »

Normally I'd love to join and be a player again but I've got so much on my plate right now and every Autumn that I just can't make time for it even if it did fall on a Sunday which is my only other night free at the moment.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »

I might be up for it depending on when it would be.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »

Alright nice place to start for some interest!  Looks like I'd better start putting some serious time into getting this thing running.  At this rate it seems like a weeknight around 8 PM Eastern might be the best way to go?  Anyway I'm going to start mapping stuff out and nailing down a concrete start time.  I'll go six players max (most likely) so if anyone still wants in let me know.

And Destructor I'm going to check out the tutorials (I think) but let me know if you wouldn't mind doing a sit down on a given night to run me through some stuff (I'm thinking the things I really want to know are vision and fog type stuff).
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:07:10 AM »

As long as we don't start until 8 PM I am good.

What is everyone else planning on playing?  I am thinking of doing something other than defender this time around.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 14, 2009, 12:07:10 AM

What is everyone else planning on playing?  I am thinking of doing something other than defender this time around.

I think I want to play a Pally.  I'm not sure on race yet, though. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: