http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:10:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just bought Carcassone and Arkham Horror!  (Read 1245 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »

So, since I wanted to play some great boardgames with friends and family, we decided to take a trip today to the local board game shop - I'd recently read some great things about Arkham and Battle for Westeros and Battlestar Galactica, and they had all three games.

Now, Arkham is a 4 hours game!! and I doubt we have time for that everytime we want to have some fun, so I decided to buy Carcassone as well, since I'd heard good stuff about that as well.

Tonight we played Carcassone, and it was great fun (We didn't use farms though, as the store manager warned us that that was the road to hell the first time one plays) and this is definitely a game we'll look into more.

tomorrow is Arkham night - While I'm very excited about it, I'm also slightly cautious about this, since it will be with my GF and my daugther at 14 years - both are smart (of course) but the game does look complex! Cant wait though, since it looks really cool, and after our play tonight, we opened Arkham and selected characters and the like to get in the mood.

Anything in particular one should be aware of when playing Arkham for the first time?

Oh, we did look into a few other games - the Ticket to Ride games which looked very fun, and Mr. Jack.

I'm also quite interested in Battle for Westeros and the new Game of Thrones game when second edition comes out, but since games are so damn expensive (Arkham was 110 dollars and Westeros is about 140 dollars) that will have to wait a bit.

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »

Re: Arkham Horror, Remus West and Gryndyl have run forum versions over at OO, so they are very knowledgeable about the game, as well as many others.  I do know that there is an app out that allows you to manage the cards and even dice rolls if you are so inclined to help cut down on messing with the "fiddly bits", but, like the farms, worry about that later.

I'm going to seriously look at the Game of Thrones game when 2nd Ed comes out, as well. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:31:18 AM »

i LOVE arkham horror!
and like you and isgrimnur ive always been dying to grab AGOT but from reading the rules it seems like its a game that really shines with 4+ players that really know the game and i need more geeky friends to pull that off!

anyway things to be aware of when playing arkham (stuff thats easy to forget):
the monster limit / number of monsters in outskirts
the gate number.  these are things that vary with the number of characters but absolutely WILL NOT ruin or even really matter if you neglect them in "new" games, however theyre easy to forget so hopefully by mentioning them ill put you a step ahead of forgetting slywink
also while its not too clear in the rules - if a flying monster is at a location (NOT street) and gets to move, but theres no character in an attached street or same location - it goes to the sky.  for a long time the rules read like it would go location to street and then NEXT time it would move under the conditions i just described - sky.
and while the base game is "easy" (after a while anyway...) you WILL die, and die horribly many many games.  but thats part of the fun - i love the game because it is so atmospheric and there is a ton of character growth over the course of a play.

AND BY ALL MEANS, READ THOSE ENCOUNTERS OUTLOUD!!!  perhaps in a spooky voice
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:30:40 AM »

Ticket to Ride is just a great game.

Mr. Jack is really good, too, but it's only 2 player, be aware.

Did they have Dominion?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:15:13 AM »

plus feel free to be mean to the players icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 02, 2011, 10:24:02 PM

I do know that there is an app out that allows you to manage the cards and even dice rolls if you are so inclined to help cut down on messing with the "fiddly bits", but, like the farms, worry about that later.

I unfortunately don't have an Iphone, if thats what you mean by App :-)

Quote from: Doopri on August 03, 2011, 01:31:18 AM

anyway things to be aware of when playing arkham (stuff thats easy to forget):
the monster limit / number of monsters in outskirts
the gate number.  these are things that vary with the number of characters but absolutely WILL NOT ruin or even really matter if you neglect them in "new" games, however theyre easy to forget so hopefully by mentioning them ill put you a step ahead of forgetting slywink
also while its not too clear in the rules - if a flying monster is at a location (NOT street) and gets to move, but theres no character in an attached street or same location - it goes to the sky.  for a long time the rules read like it would go location to street and then NEXT time it would move under the conditions i just described - sky.
and while the base game is "easy" (after a while anyway...) you WILL die, and die horribly many many games.  but thats part of the fun - i love the game because it is so atmospheric and there is a ton of character growth over the course of a play.

AND BY ALL MEANS, READ THOSE ENCOUNTERS OUTLOUD!!!  perhaps in a spooky voice

Thank Doopri - havent read all the rules yet, so I have no idea what you mean, but I'm sure it will make sense once I do! I have been known to do stuff like crazy spooky voice before, so I'll do just that!

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 03, 2011, 03:30:40 AM

Ticket to Ride is just a great game.

Mr. Jack is really good, too, but it's only 2 player, be aware.

Did they have Dominion?

Mr. Jack was for my GF and I, so thats pretty perfect. Ticket to ride looks quite fun yes, and has a ton of expansions as well, which I take for a sign that the game is good = popular.

As for Dominion, I just checked, and yeah, they have it. Is it a really good game?

Quote from: CeeKay on August 03, 2011, 04:15:13 AM

plus feel free to be mean to the players icon_twisted

Oh, its my family, so I always am. But should I be so in the game as well? ;-)

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »

Dominion has started a deck-building genre and is just a supremely well-designed game.  Also a ton of expansions (4 so far, more on the way).

It's pretty great, and it could lead to other great games like Thunderstone or Ascension.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »

If you get the original Ticket to Ride, get the 1910 expansion right away.  It comes with normal-sized cards and more routes than what is in the original.  It is well worth the price.  I would stay away from Marklin until you have played Ticket to Ride for a while.  If you can get a hold of Switzerland or Nordic Countries, they are great for 2-3 player games, but very cutthroat.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 03, 2011, 02:28:22 PM

It's pretty great, and it could lead to other great games like Thunderstone or Ascension.

Ascension is quite cool.  I got to play it with Isgrimnur, Zarathud and Hepcat at Origins for the first time and it was a blast.  I'd own it and the expansion if I could get any of my local buddies to agree to play it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 03, 2011, 03:01:44 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 03, 2011, 02:28:22 PM

Ascension is quite cool.  I got to play it with Isgrimnur, Zarathud and Hepcat at Origins for the first time and it was a blast.  I'd own it and the expansion if I could get any of my local buddies to agree to play it.

I have to say that Ascension didn't grab me the couple of times I played it, but I picked up the iPad app anyway, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 03, 2011, 08:11:52 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 02, 2011, 10:24:02 PM

I do know that there is an app out that allows you to manage the cards and even dice rolls if you are so inclined to help cut down on messing with the "fiddly bits", but, like the farms, worry about that later.

I unfortunately don't have an Iphone, if thats what you mean by App :-)

I haven't explored it, so I am unaware of what other phone platforms it might be available for.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »

So, got to play the first game of Arkham - 7 hours of me, my GF and my daugther trying to kill Ithqua. Actually, the rules weren't that hard, once you got to know the phases.

We closed all the gates at the end, winning the game that way. It did seem kinda..well, easy, but I'm unsure whether we got lucky. Two got Tommy guns and another +5 gun, which makes monsters trivial to say the least. I got a spell of +6 fight rolls (Shriveling).

One question - you ONLY fight monsters when you try to move right? Not when you end on a location with a monster, until you try to move?

Also, once you leave the gate, the rules say you do NOT have to fight the monster that round, meaning you can close the game without figthing any monsters there, which I find kinda weird.

Other than that, great fun, but not very hard actually, compared to what I feared

A new one
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »

If you END your movement on a monster you DO have to fight / evade it.  The only time you wouldn't would be if the MONSTER, during its movement (Mythos Phase) landed on a character - then that character doesn't have to fight it until he / she wishes to move on his / her turn.

And ya you're right about exiting a gate.  If you exit the gate, you don't have to fight the monster; however if you can't close the gate the turn you ext it, on that character's NEXT turn they will have to fight / evade the monster.

And you probably did get lucky - enjoy it while it lasts!  Oh and one more thing - keep in mind with weapons / spells that you have only 2 hands and each weapon and spell has a little symbol that tells you how many hands you need to wield it.  I think the Tommy gun needs both hands free so you'd only be able to use that.  HOWEVER you can switch up weapons each round of combat.  So if you fail a combat round with a monster and want to try to "switch it up" with a different set of weapons on the next round, you can do that.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »

I assume most of the enemies didn't have physical resistance or immunity, then.  That certainly won't last.  Tommy guns don't do much to ghosts, Dark Young, Dholes, Fire Vampires, etc. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »

Well, you see, with +6 and 3 in fighting, thats 6 die even with physical resistance. Immunity we didn't meet though. I guess we'll see the next time, how hard it will be :-) I also read there's large differences between who you fight.

And thanks Doopri - I could tell we did something wrong there with movement and combat.

A new one
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »

If you have an iDevice, consider getting the AH toolkit.  If you do, you won't have to put out the large colored back encounter cards, or the mythos deck. That'll save some table space.  AH = one of my favorite games out there.  Doopri, weren't we going to try playing over the net sometime?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »

Well, you see, with +6 and 3 in fighting, thats 6 die even with physical resistance.

Remember to include the monster's combat value slywink (Sorry I'm sure you did but I couldn't resist)

And Dream ya we really should.  I'm free most evenings and wouldn't mind playing over several.  I figure the best way to do it would be have one person do Mythos/Other World encounters and one person do Arkham encounters (to keep the decks consistent and so we both get a chance to read out the horrible stuff happening to our investigators!).  Likewise, we can divide up items / spells / etc - one person can always draw from "their" deck regardless of who is causing the draw.  Same for monsters - then we keep the true distribution.  I have Dunwich, Innsmouth, Lurker and Black Goat - if you have any of those and want to use them we can do it up, if not base game is just as good!  Though I find that while corruption is fun Black Goat is a bit diluted without using the herald - and if I have my choice of herald I always loves me some Lurker! (Sorry Shub!).  PM me here or on Live if you want to attempt this some time.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »

My tip for Arkham is that the first time you play it you will have fun but you will play it wrong. You'll discover part way through the game that there was some rule you'd missed or misinterpreted that would have had a significant effect on earlier events.

This will happen the next half dozen or so times that you play it and intermittently thereafter biggrin

You'll have fun all the while, though.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: