http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel when playing the "evil" path in games?  (Read 1210 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »

I'm currenlty replaying the original inFAMOUS as an evil character since I did the heroic path the first time. I'm finding that some of the things the game asks me to do make me feel, for the lack of a better word...douchey. Things like avoiding people who are getting mugged or letting some guy get the crap kicked out of him while you steal his blast shards (and then beat up his sister when she complains). I'm really surprised given it's a just a game icon_lol

I enjoyed playing the renegade in Mass Effect, but that's a little different - you just get to be a bitch to people or shoot first/ask questions later with the bad guys.

I'm wondering how other people feel when playing evil characters in games?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »

I rarely play the evil character as it doesn't seem to work for me.  If I get into the story, then I feel like a jerk.  However, most of the time the evil character just doesn't work, IMO.  You are still going to rescue the Princess - just for different reasons, etc.  Some minor plot points can change, but I don't see much playback in being "evil."  Some games may do a better job with this than others, though.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »

I have a very hard time doing it, myself.  I played through the first Bioshock sacrificing the girls because I read a guide that said you had to do it to get enough points.  I had more points than I really needed by the end (there were some powers I just didn't use that much), so it really left a bad taste in my mouth (loved the game, though).

If the game's designed for you to be evil (Dungeon Keeper or Overlord, for example) I usually don't have as big a problem with it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
My alignment also made the twist in KOTOR really surprising and awesome!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »

if there are multiple paths I'll usually play a game as a good guy the first time through then play through the evil path the second time.  of course most games really don't pull off the evil parts very well, you tend to be more of a douchebag than anything else, but both Jade Empire and KotOR had some truly evil bits to them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:25:49 PM »

I've tried to force myself to be evil in an RPG and I just can't do it.  I feel so awful and just always end up changing my mind.  However, just like in real life, I don't always go pure lawful, either.  I usually end up pretty much in the gray area, with a leaning to good.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 15, 2011, 04:34:22 PM

If the game's designed for you to be evil (Dungeon Keeper or Overlord, for example) I usually don't have as big a problem with it.

I agree with this.  Grand Theft Auto, TIE Fighter, Evil Genius, etc.: no big deal being evil.  When there's an option to go good or evil, the evil path is usually some over-the-top chaotic evil caricature.  If I'm going to try an evil path I'm not really interested in having Belkar from OOTS as my only option.

Mass Effect did it really well, but it still suffered the problem of punishing you for being in the grey area.  If I want to physically threaten one guy because I think he deserves it but in the next scene I save an orphan, I eventually end up too neutral to get the advantages of either path.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »

Far, far too many games equate the 'evil path' with being a mildly rude conversationalist, or asking for an extra gold at the end of the day, or are, as mentioned, caricatures of evil.  Very few games actually let you play a genuinely despicable character (Fallout 3 had some options, including something involving a town full of kids.)
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »

I dislike games that define it as Good and Evil.  Just because you want to have absolute power and rule the world doesn't necessarily make you evil.  Maybe you're just good at it! Maybe power is a means to an end; a way to stop social injustice and remove the true corruption. 

Sadly, most games don't share this view point.  The only game in recent memory to allow this was Fallout: New Vegas where I was able to achieve absolute power for myself and still bring peace and prosperity to the wasteland.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »

I feel liberated, finally unleashing my dark passenger to slake its thirst on the misery of others.

I always used to play the good Paladin, frequently thinking I would replay the game as an evil character but really never did.

I've started to play more mercenary/selfish type characters most of the time, e.g. Renegade-style in Mass Effect.  Not evil, but I do what is best for me even if means stealing, selling you out, or killing those that have something I want if they at least kinda deserve it.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »

Actually, Freezer brought something to mind that happens all the time in RPGs/Adventure games. 

If Paladin is an option, I will almost always play that role.  I will march around the countryside being a paragon for good, etc.  However, this doesn't stop me from opening everyone's cupboards or breaking all of their pots and barrels.

I remember playing Fallout and Baldur's Gate back in the day and being irritated that I was meant to plunder people's stuff.  I have since become immune to stealing because it's expected in the genre, but it certainly is odd.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:56:20 AM »

Totally know what are saying about BG. I liked that in Fable 2 you had to be out of sight to steal from people.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: