http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 04:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How and where do you store your board games  (Read 2282 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:44:54 AM »

Before I moved about a year ago, I had a closet that we put a large shelving unit in to hold all of my board games.  We moved, and we basically have a couple of basement shelving units that all of my board games are on.  We are looking for a better solution.  We are looking at the IKEA Expedit, but thought you guys might have some other suggestions.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:51:57 AM »

I have always found shelves useful.  Can't go wrong with shelves.  Often I put things on them, and then even like 3-4 weeks later, bam.  Still there.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:56:56 AM »

But seriously, when I saw the Expedit picture my first thought was that it'd be a downside to have every cubbie hole the same size, plus from the looks of it the cubbies might not even be big enough for larger game boxes.  But then I just came across a BGG post where someone recommended cutting some Expedit panels to create a few double wide storage areas.  Seems like a pretty good option for just $200.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:43:07 AM »

The Expedit might not be an option anymore.  It looks like it will be about a half inch shorter than the area that we want to use.  That might be too close for comfort to use.

I definitely need more shelves.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »

I just use fairly standard wooden shelving. I find that the variation in box sizes means that anything outside of standard shelving causes problems with boardgames that won't easily fit on them. I supposed I might want something a bit fancier if I had some rare/collectable/very expensive boardgames, but I don't. I like to keep the shelving in our den or another main room, as I find when the games are in a less accessed room we don't think about getting them to the table enough. I also don't let my collection grow beyond 50 games any more, because that seems about the limit for what I can easily shelve. My much bigger problem is where to store our miniatures and props for all our P'n'P RPG's. slywink
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »

I hire hobos to hold them for me.  I'll yell out "GAME ME!" to a hobo when the guys are over, then clap my hands twice.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 09, 2013, 01:32:19 PM

I hire hobos to hold them for me.  I'll yell out "GAME ME!" to a hobo when the guys are over, then clap my hands twice.

Is one of them named Flankrin?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:41:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 09, 2013, 03:11:29 PM

Quote from: hepcat on September 09, 2013, 01:32:19 PM

Is one of them named Flankrin?

you fool, you don't give them names!  next thing you know they'll start developing identities and then start thinking for themselves!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 07, 2013, 02:51:57 AM

I have always found shelves useful.  Can't go wrong with shelves.  Often I put things on them, and then even like 3-4 weeks later, bam.  Still there.

I LOL'd.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »

An old neighbor of mind was ditching a Palliser headboard from the mid-nineties. There are two 6.5' towers that had a mirrored middle section. Took the towers, tossed the rest, and cleaned them up. Since they have such good vertical space storage, we just keep them all in there.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »

The closet in my office (read; second bedroom) is devoted to my gaming and scale modelling stuff.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 01:35:05 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 08:02:23 PM

I LOL'd.

As did I. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 01:58:57 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 10, 2013, 01:35:05 AM

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 08:02:23 PM

I have always found shelves useful.  Can't go wrong with shelves.  Often I put things on them, and then even like 3-4 weeks later, bam.  Still there.

I LOL'd.

As did I.  

It inspired me to take up drafting and architecture.

Spoiler for Hiden:

andon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »

So not like this?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »

Stuff your Sorry!s in a sack.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 12:46:46 AM »

that many copies of Candyland means it must be Hepcat's collection.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »

That's just Tom Vassals review of many, many games simultaneously. He just had to do a slight variation on his standard format and pour all of the games out of a big sack instead of a single games components.   icon_razz
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 19, 2013, 07:49:09 AM

That's just Tom Vassals review of many, many games simultaneously. He just had to do a slight variation on his standard format and pour all of the games out of a big sack instead of a single games components.   icon_razz

With all that stuff, he's going to have a hard time getting people to shut the door.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 04:46:04 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 17, 2013, 11:49:12 PM

Stuff your Sorry!s in a sack.

Jimmy loves Seinfeld.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »

Sheesh, my apartment is rapidly running out of space for games.  I'm now keeping some of them in the dining room, stacked in a corner.  Methinks it's time for me to check out ebay and dump some of the ones I'm not playing that much.  Unfortunately, the moment I start reviewing the games for ones that can go, I remember having fun with every one of them and then I realize I can't part with them.   tear

And don't get me started on miniatures.  I got into Malifaux early last year and Warmahordes shortly thereafter...and now I've got about a hundred minis that are taking up a ton of surface area.  I should buy a minis bag, but those things are like 100 bucks by the time you purchase the bag and the trays.  Money that I could spend on yet more minis! 

...it's a vicious cycle, I tell ya.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 03, 2014, 02:09:26 PM

And don't get me started on miniatures.  I got into Malifaux early last year and Warmahordes shortly thereafter...and now I've got about a hundred minis that are taking up a ton of surface area.  I should buy a minis bag, but those things are like 100 bucks by the time you purchase the bag and the trays.  Money that I could spend on yet more minis!

I find the Plano storage units are good for this and fairly low cost as most Walmarts carry them. I have 3 for the roughly 1000 Star Wars Mini's I have and the best thing about them is that they stack on top of 1 another. As well, don't forget, RPG GM's will often be interested in any mini's you're looking to move. There's also a number of online retailers like coolstuffinc.com that have generous buy back lists/services.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »

Sigh...my first attempt at online sales to clear out some closet space is also my last. 

I put up about 4 games on Amazon Marketplace and set the shipping cost to what Amazon suggested.  Someone bought my half opened copy of Power Grid and I was so happy....until I tried to ship the goddamn thing.  Turns out it's about 1 1/4"  too tall for a medium flat rate USPS box.  Fedex wanted about 20 bucks to ship it. UPS ended up being my cheapest option...and it was almost 18 bucks. 

Soooo...after shipping and Amazon's vig, I ended up getting about 9 dollars out of the 25 dollars I expected to receive.  icon_mad

Back to selling them off at conventions. 

fanneyjack
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 05:33:05 AM »

I have Game Savers and love them!!! I just wanted to mention that they come with labels pre-printed with the names of the games that will fit into the container. You just peel and stick the right label onto the front of the box.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: