http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heroclix? Other games like it?  (Read 3632 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »

Does anyone here play Heroclix, or games like it? 

I bought a few figures on eBay to have around, and try playing with my wife and kids.  So far it seems pretty good, but I'm wondering if there are other better games?  As in the Warhammer thread, I'm mostly looking for fun, challenging games to play with the kids.  Videogames are great, but the board/card games are a lot more social and fun with the kids. 

---
XBox Live: ScottW
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 05:14:05 PM »

I don't know much about Heroclix but my boys (7, 9, 10) and I love to play Heroscape.  I read the other day that they are going to release a Marvel Heroscape sometime this fall as well so we'll definitely snap that one up.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 05:16:58 PM »

I love heroclix but never have anyone to play with, although to be honest I prefer the Mechwarrior series of clix figures.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »

Heroscape to me looks like a simpler version of Heroscape.  Does Heroscape have the numerical figure bases that you click as units take damage?  Are the units collectable?

I've read about it a fair amount, looks interesting.  What I like about Heroclix is that the kids and I like the heroes in general, and know who they are.  Adds to the fun.

Mechwarrior looked interesting as well, same deal though, clickable bases right?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »

Quote from: Scott on August 30, 2006, 06:25:40 PM

Heroscape to me looks like a simpler version of Heroscape.  Does Heroscape have the numerical figure bases that you click as units take damage?  Are the units collectable?
No it works a little different.  You have a card for each of your units and they can take a certain number of hits and for each hit you place a marker on the card.  As for the units - my understanding of Heroclix is that you buy a booster and don't know what's inside.  Heroscape again is different.  You can buy expansions but you always know what's inside.

For a great video review of Heroscape (which really helps to understand the mechanics) check out http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=10

His site is pretty helpful in general.  Plus it's Boardgames with Scott.  With Scott!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 06:59:41 PM by warning » Logged
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 08:30:36 PM »

I will also put in a big huge gigantic thumbsup for HeroScape.  Very easy to get into, set up very well, easy learn and a lot of fun with friends.  This March we played HeroScape for an entire afternoon.  Six guys and three games.  It was a lot of fun and it didn't drag on until a guy hid out in his starting area with one guy.  The expansions are $10-13 depending on where you get them, and I keep my figures in a tackle box with the land pieces in the original box.  If you can wait, see if Toys R Us runs a "Buy 1 Get one free" sale on Hasbro board games, which is when I got my set.  Very happy with it.

True story.  Some friends of mine wanted to compete in a HeroScape tournament at Toys R Us.  They looked at the rules and found out they were too old.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 10:59:02 AM »

Quote from: Scott on August 30, 2006, 06:25:40 PM

I've read about it a fair amount, looks interesting.  What I like about Heroclix is that the kids and I like the heroes in general, and know who they are.  Adds to the fun.

Mechwarrior looked interesting as well, same deal though, clickable bases right?

Yeah Mechwarrior has clickable bases, and are incredibly detailed, I have a ton and I mean a ton of these.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 02:00:13 PM »

Just to let you know, in 2007 quite a few miniatures games are going prepainted, but non random collectable.  One of them is my current favorite, Starship Troopers from Mongoose Pbblishing.  Much like random collectable games, they're now marketing it as a game in a box.  You buy a unit box and it'll contain rules for the game, including smaller skirmish rules so you can jump in playing immediately.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:19:59 PM »

Horror Clix is due out soon.  they have a HUGE limited edition Cthulhu as well..smile
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 09:05:48 AM »

I've started playing this game Duel of Ages and I'm having a blast.  It's not collectible like HeroClix (although there are multiple expansions), but the feel of the game is similar.  The premise of the game is a futuristic arena battle with two teams comprised of various characters (real and fictional) varying from ancient to future times.  Each character has different stats and unique special abilities.  The game board is customizable to layout and size and there's a multitude of characters and equipment to make each game different.

Some of the situations that result become quite humorous, but it's all good in the game.  You could have Wild Bill send his pet cheetah after his opponent while shooting his Paralyzer gun from the future.  As to the expansions, you don't need any of them to play but the 2nd called Intensity and last Master Addendum are really worth picking up.  Intensity adds much more to the basic game and the MA has all the rules streamlined and updated in a really nice rulebook. 

I hadn't played HeroClix in awhile since I liked to collect it (and play), but didn't feel like spending anymore money on it.  DoA is a fantastic replacement.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 01:16:27 PM »

Just the topic I was looking for.

There's some new non random pre-painted miniatures games coming out in the near future.  The first being AT-43 by Rackham.  It's a scifi setting with small walkers and alien invaders.  Do a search for it, the box set looks rather nice.

Pinnacle/Great White Games is coming out with Slaughter Gulch, a board game using the same style prepainted miniatures based on their Deadlands Setting.

Mongoose Publishing is coming out with a prepainted version of their Starship Troopers miniatures game, they're basically relaunching the entire game as prepainted, but still letting people buy the sprues if they want to do their own painting.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 06:23:37 PM »

i have been buying boosers of the horror clix guys.  they are kinda cool  next week I plan on buying the starter set so I can have the rules.

i was also given as a gift by my buddy at the hobby store, the black widow figure..smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: