http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Green Ronin Accelerates the Dragon Age RPG Release Schedule  (Read 2003 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »

As taken from today's' press release on the Green Ronin front page:
Now let's go from four color superheroes to dark fantasy with Dragon Age. This is our RPG that ties in to BioWare's terrific computer game of the same name. Last year we released Set 1 (an introductory boxed set that covers characters level 1-5), the GM's Kit (a hardback screen and adventure), and Blood in Ferelden (a collection of scenarios). We also did an open mechanics playtest for Set 2, which covers levels 6-10. We know people are hungry for Set 2 and it is indeed on the way. We are trying to release it shortly after the debut of the Dragon Age 2 computer game, so we can take advantage of the new wave of DA enthusiasm. We'll support that with another adventure collection called The Deep Roads. We're also planning a Quick Start for Free RPG Day to give gamers an easy way to check out what Dragon Age has to offer.

The biggest news for Dragon Age is that we've decided to re-work our release schedule for the game somewhat. We had originally planned to make the game four boxed sets that each covered 5 levels of play. We are keenly aware, however, that the arrival of Set 2 has taken too long so we've decided to accelerate the pace. Set 3 will now provide the rules for levels 11-20, so all the core material can get out to you faster. Even better, we are trying to get Set 3 out this year.

For those unfamiliar with the table top RPG, Green Ronin to date has only released content covering character levels 1-5; low levels essentially. Books and modules for the next mid levels (6-10) are scheduled to be released in March just after the release of Dragon Age 2. The slow release pace has left many fans frustrated as a number have played through the existing content and reached their level 5 cap. An announcement that the final levels (11-20) will come in 1 box and will be coming sooner than expected, couldn't be more timely for GM's and players left twiddling their thumbs. On the positive side of things, the slower development pace and longer play test for the mid level module, has resulted in a game that participating testers / fans are singing their praises for. I for one will be picking up everthing that's currently available before the end of March arrives. slywink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »

Yeah, I liked what I read of the pen and paper RPG, and the setting is already rife with story opportunities.

I just can't find players for it though, I'd love to run or play in a group of this.

I wonder how successful this is though. Have they said anything about sales numbers?

I also hope someone puts out a Mass Effect pen and paper RPG. Reapers or no, the ME universe is pretty interesting as well, plenty of politics, action, and adventure.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 25, 2011, 06:59:44 PM

Yeah, I liked what I read of the pen and paper RPG, and the setting is already rife with story opportunities.

I just can't find players for it though, I'd love to run or play in a group of this.

I wonder how successful this is though. Have they said anything about sales numbers?

I also hope someone puts out a Mass Effect pen and paper RPG. Reapers or no, the ME universe is pretty interesting as well, plenty of politics, action, and adventure.

I was very close to picking up some the Dragon Age materials when I was at the book store yesterday, but just wasn't sure I would ever get to do anything beyond read it. 

I would love to play a Mass Effect pen and paper RPG.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »

I got Box Set 1 and the GM Screen last week and I'm very impressed with it. I GM'd my 1st game last weekend for my kids and I couldn't believe how easy it was to get going with it. I love the ability(focus) system and the combat and spell stunt systems using the dragon dice are way too cool - very simple while at the same time elegant. The adventure in the Game Master guide and the one that comes with the GM screen are more than decent. The artwork in both guides is excellent and really inspiring - apparently some of it came from Bioware. The presentation sort of has a retro feel to it, and in a strange way it makes me reminisce about my old AD&D (2nd Ed.) guides. slywink

My only complaint so far is with the GM Screen, as it doesn't contain any spell listings; does contain spell stunts. I guess that's to be expected as there's surprisingly quite a few spells considering it's only levels 1-5. There is the free, downloadable Spell Grimoire PDF which is simple in it's layout and keeps the necessary info nicely at hand. Still I would have preferred if they added a 4th foldout panel to the screen with the spells. The screen costs less than $20 and it has very nice artwork on it, so I can't really complain too much. I haven't gotten the Blood in Ferelden campaign guide yet, but if it's the quality of the others it'll be well worth it. If you're considering it I'd recommend jumping in soon, so you'll have a character ready for the Box Set 2 content.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:14:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: