http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:52:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Back Into Board Games  (Read 7848 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »

I played it again Monday night and it just gets better and better.  Ghost Stories should be considered one of those essential boardgames that all gamers have to own.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »

My current favorite is Defenders of the Realm. But have been playing quite a bit of A Touch of Evil. Just picked up The Adventurers yesterday, and the kids and I played 4 games. That seems to be a BIG hit. Also, played a game of Small World the other day.

I am really wanting Thunderstone: Dragonspire and Last Night On Earth. I have Dominion, and Thunderstone looks really cool.

How is Last Night On Earth?

PSN: MythicalMino
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 11, 2011, 01:14:07 PM

I played it again Monday night and it just gets better and better.  Ghost Stories should be considered one of those essential boardgames that all gamers have to own.   icon_wink

I'm worried about playing this with my 8 year old.  She picks up games pretty well (sometimes it's like I'm playing solo with an extra hand, but lot of times she really gets it).  I'm worried Ghost Stories might be too complicated and/or frustrating for her.  I keep looking at it, though.  What do you guys think?

I keep hearing about Defenders of the Realm.  I may even have that one, but I've got to find a good play block to get to it.  The Adventurers was a hit here, too.  Something about the bolder makes it exciting for the kids, I think.  I wasn't as wowed by it.  Too many little rules to remember to do.

Thunderstone was okay when I played it a couple of times.  I still prefer Dominion.  The expansions do make it more interesting.  I just recently picked them up and have read the instructions, but haven't played yet.

We just played Small World last night!  I think it's a lot of fun, and that was with our first session being about a painfully long punch out/set up/teach/learn game.  I hope to play it again without all of that.  Also, I played the Skeletons wrong (had them gaining guys for every occupied territory conquered instead of every 2), so we had an unsatisfying end.  But I'm impressed by all the different powers making such significant changes, but still leaving the game balanced.  Maybe I can even get the wife to play.

LNOE is supposed to be great, but I've steered clear because my main game partner is a little young.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »

I have A Touch of Evil, from the same guys that made Last Night on Earth. And even though I do like A Touch of Evil, I don't feel it is a "great" game, so I am actually pretty hesitant to purchase Last Night on Earth. I have heard, though, that LNoE is much, much better than AToE. So, who knows....

Small World is pretty good. I actually liked The Adventurers, for some reason. I think it reminds me of one of my great games from the past, Fireball Island, and I have great memories of that one (wish I could get that one, but on ebay only, they are very expensive for even incomplete games).

I have been wanting to pull out Descent, but that is a tough game for the kids to really get into. And my "adult" gaming group has shown zero interest in it. In fact, the only game that they have been wanting to play is Defenders of the Realm. That doesn't bother me, since that game is awesome, in my opinion.

But I have so many others that I would love to play, like Chaos in the Old World. Have yet to really play that in an actual setting. I also got Marvel Heroes (should have had an expansion done for it!!). Then there is Talisman, StarCraft, and a bunch of others!! Like I said, though, I have so many games, and nobody to really play them with....

heh, on a side note, I just pulled out Arkham Horror, and was going to try to set that up. Nope...no way. Just too much there. Expansion overkill to the extreme. Trying to separate the base game stuff from the expansions, and it burned me out on the game just doing that!! I should put that game up on ebay, see if I can make some money off of it.

MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 07:02:37 AM »

A game I am interested in, but not ready to take the plunge and buy it: Cosmic Encounter.

I keep reading all this good stuff about it, ppl say it is one of the greatest games ever made, but when I look at it, it just doesn't interest me. Granted, I have not played it.

For those that have played it (the FFG version, since that would be the one I would buy), did you like it? What is so good about it?

Thanks

Chris

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »

It's a great game, but it can be VERY convoluted for a new player.  The game seems to actually pride itself on including game breaking powers for some of the races.  That's not a bad thing, but if you're expecting a fair game that's strategically deep, you're going to be disappointed.  If, however, you're in it for a social experience that will end in laughter after most games (and shouts of frustration from those without a sense of humor), I say go for it.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »

I love boardgames but they never get played at my house.  My Wife and kids aren't intersted in any of the geeky themed stuff I like, and my buddies don't seem to have the patience to learn games.  The fact that I never get to play is worsened when I actually find soneone, butit's been so long since I played I have to learn it again m yself.

I just checked, and I can get over $200 for my copy of Space Hulk... so tempting.

"Goonies never say die"
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on May 25, 2011, 05:26:49 PM

I just checked, and I can get over $200 for my copy of Space Hulk... so tempting.

third edition (the most recent one)?  is it opened?  assembled?  I have it, never play it.  i'd love to unload it for twice what i paid for it.

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 05:50:20 PM »

I may have been hasty, that is for unopened versions.

Looks like opened versions/played are around $150+
I have literally played mine once... I think it's going up on ebay.

"Goonies never say die"
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

Did you have issues with the boards warping?  Mine are almost all warped to some extent.   icon_cry

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

To be honest, I don't know. It's been in the box since I played it, which was a year ago.

"Goonies never say die"
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »

Take a look when you have the time.  It was a pretty widespread problem with the set.  It ticked off a lot of people considering how GW charged a premium and kept touting it as a high quality game.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2013, 02:25:33 AM »

Ok, so my wife doesn't like video games and I'd love to be able to include her in my gaming interest. Enter board games.

This weekend I bought Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island. Both were very easy to learn but I had to go over the rules quite a few times before she got grasp of them. Once she did we had a blast playing. Can you guys recommend any other games along the lines of those two (coop or competitive) that aren't overly complicated to learn?

I just ordered the Lord of the Rings LCG but that will be something my son and I play I'm sure.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »

Quote from: siege on March 11, 2013, 02:25:33 AM

Ok, so my wife doesn't like video games and I'd love to be able to include her in my gaming interest. Enter board games.

This weekend I bought Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island. Both were very easy to learn but I had to go over the rules quite a few times before she got grasp of them. Once she did we had a blast playing. Can you guys recommend any other games along the lines of those two (coop or competitive) that aren't overly complicated to learn?

I just ordered the Lord of the Rings LCG but that will be something my son and I play I'm sure.

The LCG series definitely won't work with your wife.

My wife cannot stand listening to game directions.  Her eyes will literally glaze over the second someone says "Here's what you can do on your turn."  But there are a couple of games that she enjoys.  

Ticket to Ride is one.  Carcasonne is another.  Both classics.

Recently she had a lot of fun with Lords of Waterdeep, which I think is an excellent light worker placement game.

She has not enjoyed Dominion, but it is also very simple and a modern classic that started a genre, so give it a look.

We had a surprising amount of success with Seven Wonders at a friend's house recently.

She seemed to like Forbidden Island, too, but it may have been too light, if that's possible, so I might try Pandemic with her.

She's more into abstract strategy.  Quirkle has been a big hit on that front.  There are others, but it's not my favorite category, so I can't think of them now.

A couple of card games off the top of my head: Flip Out and For Sale.

You should also look into both Smash Up and King of Tokyo for easy to teach, fun games you can play with your son and wife together.  And River Dragons and Takenoko and Survive!.

Definitely check out Escape: the Curse of the Temple.  It's a 10 minute dice rolling game.  And by 10 minutes, I mean it's exactly ten minutes.  It's very intense and fun.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:26:50 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2013, 05:28:44 AM »

Lords of Waterdeep was a big hit with my wife and I really like it as well.  She loves Ticket to Ride, too, but I find Ticket to Ride kind of boring with two people.

Mr Jack was a big hit with both of us, and it's specifically geared for two players.

We just tried Last Night on Earth recently and she liked it enough to want to play it again soon after, and with the more complex rules.  It wasn't too hard to learn, and she liked being able to play the zombies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »

I meant to list Mr. Jack, too.  Quick, easy, fun.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations. Ordered Lords of the Waterdeep and Mr Jack. I'll probably end up getting quite a few more to throw into the rotation after I see if she'll continue to play on a regular basis.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »

Quote from: siege on March 11, 2013, 03:03:30 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. Ordered Lords of the Waterdeep and Mr Jack. I'll probably end up getting quite a few more to throw into the rotation after I see if she'll continue to play on a regular basis.

If she gets scared by the Dungeons & Dragons lore in Waterdeep, reassure her that it's entirely optional flavor fluff.  You can treat it purely as "I need 5 orange cubes and 2 purple ones!"  The flavor stuff makes the game more fun, but your wife can adopt as much or as little as she wants.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2013, 03:46:01 PM

Quote from: siege on March 11, 2013, 03:03:30 PM

If she gets scared by the Dungeons & Dragons lore in Waterdeep, reassure her that it's entirely optional flavor fluff.  You can treat it purely as "I need 5 orange cubes and 2 purple ones!"  The flavor stuff makes the game more fun, but your wife can adopt as much or as little as she wants.

We downplayed the D&D aspect like crazy to play with the wife.  It's barely noticeable in-game.

OTOH, I did pimp my game with these awesome custom meeples:

They're tiny and still fit in the insert bins meant for the cubes.

MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »

I got those for my Lords of Waterdeep game. Love them.

Any of you play any Sentinels of the Multiverse? We have been playing that...well, we were until my kickstarter for Zpocalypse arrived.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2013, 02:20:49 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on March 11, 2013, 11:39:13 PM

I got those for my Lords of Waterdeep game. Love them.

Any of you play any Sentinels of the Multiverse? We have been playing that...well, we were until my kickstarter for Zpocalypse arrived.

I like Sentinels a lot.  My kickstarter for the latest expansion just showed up a couple of days ago.

My only issue with it is that it gets really fiddly the further you go.  They mitigated this somewhat with the addition of the cardboard indicators, but there's still a lot of "If I do this, then this happens, but this'll subtract that and modify this, but I can't add this to that until next turn..."

MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »

yeah, it does make it a lot to try to track. I will kickstarter the next game they put up, though. I pre-ordered the expansion you just got (along with the other heroes/villains/environements) from miniaturemarket...and I read from someone today that miniaturemarket has the go-ahead to start shipping them on the 15th. Which is great, because that means I should have it before I leave town on the 31st.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 03:04:56 AM »

Finally got a chance to play Lords of Waterdeep this past weekend. What an awesome euro style game. We must have played it four or five times and it was a blast. As was suggested, I did have to teach my wife to ignore the fantasy theme. For some reason it's automatically "too complicated" if there's any flavor themed text in a game. She just doesn't have the attention span to invest into anything other than rolling a dice and moving to win.

The rest of us loved it. Looking forward to the expansion.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »

Quote from: siege on April 09, 2013, 03:04:56 AM

As was suggested, I did have to teach my wife to ignore the fantasy theme.
That shouldn't be too difficult - myy 1 criticism of the game is that it doesn't capture much of the theme or feel of Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms. Otherwise a very good game and definitely worth playing.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »

Have you tried Hive yet?

It's a 2 player game that's a bit like chess, but in many ways better for casual players, but also just as deep.

There is no board, you just have hexagonal shaped tiles that you either place or move around each other. The goal being to surround the queen bee tile.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »

Conquest of Planet Earth (+ the Apocalypse expansion) arrived yesterday...whoa, what an awesome game. I have played 4 (5 games if you incluse the all screwed up learning process first game), and this game is crazy fun. Very chaotic, and the theme is all over the place. Flying Frog does some great games, but I think this is by far my favorite of theirs (I have Touch of Evil, Last Night On Earth, and Fortune & Glory, also).

So many things about this game that I really enjoy...

MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »

Still having a blast with Conquest of Planet Earth (and I have only played solo games at that). I have never played it without the Apocalypse expansion, and to be honest, I don't think I ever could now after playing with it. I also bought the Santarri race mini-expansion, and it arrived today. Pretty fun(ny) mechanic with them. Not to mention the "Well-Armed Redneck" Resistance Hero card that came with it (there were I think 10 cards total, along with the Alien Race card).

For those of you that play the game, do you use any of the optional rules? This game is pretty easy to fit your own skill level. After several plays, I was starting to win much more than lose (in fact, I won 4 games straight with the basic rules). So, I decided to flip the Resistance board to the "Brutal" side, and I use the Tech Locations Add to the Tech Breakthrough Die Roll rule found towards the back of the rule book. I also start out with 3 Resistance Counters on the "center" board (the board that starts with the Capital location card), and 2 Resistance Counters on my player board.

The two games I played using those variations were pretty epic (at least in my mind). The last game I played, I was playing as the purple octupus guys, the Arbiters or whatever they are called. I made it up to 7 conquest tokens, but was not able to gain that last one. Then, the Humans began to really fight back, and at one point, I had ZERO saucers on the board, with Rangers in my landing zone. The score ended up with me having 3 Terror when those pesky humans managed to reach the end of their tech track and build that damnable Super Cannon!!

Just an awesome and fun game...it is games like this that makes me glad I am a gamer, and it also makes me wonder why I waited so long to finally pick it up!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: