http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:10:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaming in schools  (Read 1856 times)
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2005, 06:04:03 PM »

http://www.consolegold.com/News/news.php?NewsID=2748

Like this is new?  Anyone remember all the typing tutors?  or Math blaster? Lemonade stand?  Where in the **** is Carmen Sandiego?  Even Oregon Trail!  All from the 80s!

Now I didn't read the whole article so maybe these are mentioned, but DUH!

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:16:24 PM »

Not just video games too.  My friend's younger brother (in an arts high school) has a monthly Friday games night at class run by some of his teachers (namely the history teacher).

They play all sorts of board games ranging from Diplomacy to Carcassone.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 12:14:56 AM »

Gaming, while we don't necessarily do it where I teach, is a great hook to use as a teacher.  I teach social studies and many of my students have played the Age of Empires series or one of the multitude of WWII shooters.  If nothing else it really opens their eyes to the subject and gets them interested in learning more.

When I tought about the Latin American civilizations I was surprised how many had played AoE II and wanted to do projects on the Aztec Jaguar Warriors and similar in-game units.

I'd love to look into integrating more gaming material into the classroom, even if just as a visual aid.  I would imagine an ongoing campaign in something like The Operational Art of War or something similar would be neat and easy to do.

Back to Jack's comments, I remember learning A LOT playing the Carmen San Diego games and Oregon Trail is a classic.  We also used those silly little games to learn to type.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Semaj

View Profile
Lol
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 04:41:15 AM »

We had a strategy gaming club in school where we played warhammer 40k and whatnot after school.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: