http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:32:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game of the Month Club?  (Read 2569 times)
Godzilla Blitz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:02:22 AM »

At several times during the year, it seems that someone here will go back and start playing an older game, and then encourage a few other people to jump in and play as well, sharing stories of their experiences along the way. I've always liked this idea, and was wondering, would people be interested in some sort of a "Gaming Trend Game of the Month" Club?

I'm not sure if this is a dumb idea or a good idea, but I'd think that we'd talk about a older game that a bunch of us would try to play in the upcoming month. Then we'd make a thread in the correct forum, and all start playing. Of course a lot of us would drop out and not make it, but that would be part of the fun: how many of us that start the month's game would be able to finish it during that month? At the end of the month we'd pick a new game and start over. If you didn't have (or couldn't get) that month's game you'd just wait out till the next month. Anyone would be welcome to jump in to any month's game at any point during the month. And people who don't finish on time are of course welcome to keep going and keep posting about their reactions, impressions, and experiences.

Random ideas...

Game platform. One of the trickier parts would be selecting the game. PC or console? If we try to appease everyone, we'll never be able to select anything, but it would be nice to pick games that are reasonably cross-platform.

Game length would be a factor as well. Oblivion might not be the best game. Games of 10-25 hours in length might be best.

Game genre would be another factor. I'd think we'd want to mix it up a bit. Strategy games without a clear ending or campaign might not make good choices either.

The other thing that strikes me is that perhaps voting on the game to play would be a nightmare because of so many conflicting tastes and platforms. Maybe it's just better for me to just pick a game and welcome others to join in and play? If things gain enough momentum, then suggestions and ideas for upcoming games could be solicited?

Thoughts? One of my goals for the upcoming year is to finish more games than I did this year. I was thinking this might be one way to do that.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »

I'm in for this.  Especially if it is for the 360.  I can do PC...but it's not as easy. Two things: 

1:  If you can set up the GOTM at least two weeks in advance...then those of us who don't have the game will have warning and can look to pick it up.

2:  Cross reference your list with Gamestop.  If you are shooting for 'older' games, you can see if they are cheap there and let us know.  (This is pure bonus actually, and doesn't need to happen..but it did come to mind when I was typing this.)

And if people want (especially for singleplayer titles) I'd be happy to hook up a Party on Live, and I have a Vent server that can be used for us to chat on while playing.  Can I nominate Gears co-op for the first GOTM?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:08:55 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:49:12 PM »

Humm...

Looks like this might not have been one of my better ideas.  icon_smile

Dreamshadow,
Thanks. Those are some good ideas. Looks like there might not be much momentum for something like this here, though.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:05:42 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on December 30, 2008, 10:49:12 PM

Humm...

Looks like this might not have been one of my better ideas.  icon_smile

I think it's a very good idea.  However I would suggest cross posting in the console and PC forums because frankly the General Gaming forum doesn't get much traffic. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »

I think this is a great idea as well. I replay a lot of last gen's game and I'd really like to see some of the AAA games get this treatment. I'd love to see some PS2 games for GOTM, mostly because I was late to the party with that console and probably missed many great titles. PS2 games might be tricky though due to the current PS3's not being BC. Xbox and Gamecube games could be possible because of the 100% BC on the Wii and a the number of Xbox games that are BC on the 360. Right now I'm about to embark on a KotOR replay and that would be my nominee for 1 month. I also replay a lot of PC games and since the 2 forums both get lots of traffic here, why not have a GOTM PC and GOTM Console?

BTW I think the lack of response to this thread has a lot to due with it being posted in the General Gaming forum. I agree with KG that you should really re-post this in the Console Gaming and PC Gaming forums.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:34:38 AM by kronovan » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »

Any thoughts on how old of a game?

With some recent sales on PC Games we could really do some classics. While I have a 360 I think I would be more apt to do this with PC games.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:08:10 AM »

Maybe there would be some validity to giving this a go. Given that the new year has started, maybe it's best just to pick a game and go with it. We could adjust on the fly.

I'm not sure that age is much of a factor, but I think it's important that people could get the game running with relatively few steps. The critical elements strike me as:
Multi-platform (more platforms, more people)
Ease of acquisition (both cost and availability, so that people can get the game if they want to join)
10- to 30-hour length (so that it can be finished in one month by casual gamers)
Game quality (good stuff will draw more interest)

I would have cross-posted this, but I didn't know we could do that. But yes, this forum seems to be pretty overlooked.

I'd love to go back and try to play KoToR again, but it might be a bit long for a first choice.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »

Why don't you cross post this over in Console gaming and pick a couple of multiplatform games to post on a poll. We then let the people vote on what the game of the month in February will be. For example you could give the option of, Beyond Good and Evil, Resident Evil 4, The Darkness, Tomb Raider Anniversary. These are all multiplatform and that way no matter which one wins people will be able to play the winning game.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »

I'm would do.  Love older games.  Playing through RE4 now.  Best game fun in the past year.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:49:13 PM »

Might be worth a shot.

I was thinking Deus Ex might be a place to start, but it'd be easy to toss up a handful and run a quick poll.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »

Okay, I'm working on a first post. I'll put it up with a poll later tonight. With luck, we can get this going for February!

I'm thinking we'll go with three candidates for the first month's poll.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:03 AM »

This is a great idea but you won't get any traffic in General Gaming.  If you want, I can move it to PC or Console and I think you'd get a lot more eyeballs.

And I love Deus Ex.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 02:53:52 AM »

Quote from: warning on January 26, 2009, 12:13:03 AM

This is a great idea but you won't get any traffic in General Gaming.  If you want, I can move it to PC or Console and I think you'd get a lot more eyeballs.

And I love Deus Ex.

If it's okay, I'll make a new post in Console Gaming, with one cross-reference post in PC Gaming. I think it's better not to move this one, as I'd like to start a fresh thread so it'll be easily for everyone to see stats and the Club's history over time. Thanks, though. We'll see where it goes!

EDIT: Posted!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:25:43 AM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: