http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:29:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeware cartography app?  (Read 7358 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »

I'm looking for something that will allow me to make a fantasy world - basically, I'm looking for something that will let me make a continent with major locations and such. I've not had much luck finding something that will let me do it easily, however.

Any recommendations?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:34:45 AM »

I've used AutoRealm a few times.  It worked pretty well.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:34 AM »

I know you specified that you want a freeware app, but I don't have much experience with those. The freeware cartography apps I've seen haven't been all that impressive, creating only the most basic of maps or being incredibly complex to use.

What I use these days is Campaign Cartographer 3. It's really come a long way since its first two versions, and you can easily make maps that can rival those found in commercial RPG books. Here's the map I made for a D&D campaign I'm currently running, for example.

The problem with Campaign Cartographer is that it's somewhat expensive, so it's probably not what you're looking for. If you're concerned about the quality of the finished work though, you should give it a look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: