http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:13:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding a local gaming shop  (Read 3165 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:57:07 PM »

Where do people buy games?  I've looked online in the past, but have had rare luck in finding a good local gaming shop, beyond Toys R US.  How do you guys find these?  Perhaps I need to get better at googling for this. 

(Heck, any in the boston area, particularly west of the city? smile )

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:14:40 PM »

I know it's cool to hate and all, but I just generally hit up any of my many local Gamestops.  There are quite a few of them with rather large collections of older titles which is pretty important to me.  For new releases it might be Best Buy, Circuit
City, or Target if they have a sale.  There is the odd Mom and Pop game store here and I'd love to support them in principle but the fact is that they just can't compete on selection and price. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:28:39 PM »

I wish there was a "Mom n' Pop" store around here (good ole' Video Game Headquarters in Moscow, ID!  How I miss thee) but there isn't.  So I usually just go to the Gamestop where MY BOY Alfonso hooks me up.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:39:13 PM »

If your talking about non-video games, I've found a good place to look is the yellow pages and look under Comics or Games.  Then you can call them up and see if they have what your looking for.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »

Yeah, sorry, was interested in non-video games really.  I know there are tons of places for the video versions.

Thanks though smile.

Yellow pages, didn't consider that.  Haven't used those in years.  Good idea.

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 08:01:29 PM »

That's what I get for using the "Show New Posts Since..." button since I wasn't even aware of what forum this was posted in. 
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »

grab some yellow pages and look for Comic and hobby stores.  I got lucky.  I found a very small one.  Privately owned, with only a couple people who worked there, 3.  One of them is one of my best friends, the other died just this year, of brain cancer ( the owner) and the other one.  he quit, and did his own thing, but still comes in.  If your nice, and honest with people when you go in, they in turn will be nice to you.  Dont be a gamer geek when you go in.  Dont try to know more than they do.  Go in, do your business and leave.  After awhile and some return trips you will prolly make a valuable ally in your game purchasing.  Long before we were really friends.  the guy at the store I have been going to for more than 10 years would tell me if something sucked, if he thought something was good.  let me know if something limited edition wise was coming out.

most of the clientele here is repeat customers.  Warhammer players.  RP'ers.  A WHOLE LOT of military collector guys.  Old War Vets who were friends of the owner.  its a great atmosphere, I have learned alot not only from him, but alot of the war guys who come in.  I also get a free lunch out of the deal every once in awhile.  My buddy just took over ownership of the store this week.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 10:38:37 PM »

Funny you should ask, I just moved to Boston, and just did the grand tour of the major game shops within the city.

I found four:  Your Move Games, Pandemonium Books and Games, Games People Play, and The Compleat Strategist.  All are in the city-ish.  I like the selection at Games People Play and Compleat Strategist the best.  Pandemonium has the most game space, and will probably be my game night home.  Your Move seems more focused on miniatures and CCGs.

Some websites of note:  www.201mass.com and games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games/.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 12:41:26 AM »

I looked at Board Game Geek and the Diamond Comic Distributor websites.  I found a few game and comic shops that way.  Nothing in my neighborhood but not too bad a drive.  I like supporting my local shops, even if it might cost me a few bucks more.  I've found the people there are genuinely passionate and knowledgeable about the products they carry.  Plus they will hook you up with a group.

As for videogames, I wish I had something like that around here.  I can get imports and stuff easily enough online but it would be great to have an independent video game shop around here.  I would assume it just isn't viable.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »

Great.  Thanks.

Good information about the Boston arae to Chaz, thanks.  I live West of the city, and am not a huge fan of driving in on most days, but I may have to check one of those out.

---
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 05:45:06 PM »

Hmm...when I posted, I hadn't picked up that you were looking mostly for 40k stuff.  In that case, don't bother with Games People Play, since they're no miniatures at all.  Your Move and Compleat Strategist are probably your best bets based on what I saw.

I've also heard good things about http://www.thewarstore.net/.  You have to call them to place your order, but they offer a discount on GW stuff when done that way, and everything I've heard about them has been positive.

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 03:10:47 AM »

I second the warstore recommendation. Ive ordered from the by phone for GW stuff and via the web store for other things and all my orders went very well. Every time Ive called, Neal, the owner answers the phone. Shipping is fast and cheap too.  Ive ordered from them about 10 times and never had an issue.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 11:12:27 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 06, 2006, 06:57:07 PM

Where do people buy games?  I've looked online in the past, but have had rare luck in finding a good local gaming shop, beyond Toys R US.  How do you guys find these?  Perhaps I need to get better at googling for this. 

(Heck, any in the boston area, particularly west of the city? smile )

Post a request for stores here;

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3

Usually lotsa replies.. I generally order online because board games are 25-60% less online.  Newspiel works great, FAST service, and the owner is a great and friendly guy;

http://www.newspiel.com/

You can also search for games on a global search site, such as this;

http://www.michaelareed.com/boardgamesearch/

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »

Wanted to chip in, uh, 13 months late, that Target's PC section seems much improved of late (at least in my area in Virginia). They don't do much in the way of sales but the PC game displays are "box front out" (rather than the increasingly common "spines out" like books), and I've been surprised how quickly they get in new releases now. I bought COH: Opposing Fronts there, rather surprised to see it available there so promptly. They had The Orange Box in quickly.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: