http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 06:37:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback/Comments on the D&D 4th Ed. AAR  (Read 1358 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »

Writing this AAR has been a big stretch for me and I am always open to suggestions.  I am really struggling when a session is dialog heavy so any advice out there from more experienced writers would be appreciated.  Figured I would start a separate thread for feedback/comments to keep the AAR from getting cluttered.  I used to really enjoy creative writing but for some reason got away from it, and I am starting to realize I need to try and broaden my horizons a bit and to take up some hobbies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:56:32 PM »

Looks like you more or less said what we said during The Prepotency's visit and added your spin to it all. I have no complaints on how it reads if that's your worry. I say keep doing it - it's a great way to remind us all what happened during our last adventures.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »

i like it a lot!  and i have to tell you i REALLY like how you seem to "nail the vibe" of my guy almost every time you tackle him - thanks its much appreciated!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:08:22 AM »

I've really been enjoying the AARs, Arkon.  They're fun to read and I think you're doing a great job recapping the game.  I've even shown them to some folks who aren't playing and they like 'em, too!   Thank you for taking the time to write them.   thumbsup

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »

Ok, this slime shark encounter is a bitch to write up!  I am not even sure how to write all of the epic missing we did.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 15, 2010, 11:02:35 PM

Ok, this slime shark encounter is a bitch to write up!  I am not even sure how to write all of the epic missing we did.

Yeah, it's not exactly describing 'we whiff, we whiff some more' in a descriptive sense. Maybe speed up or skip a few rounds of which we did little to nothing?

"Hey slime ball, I bet your mother was a whore of a gelatinous cube, mating with any piece of snot it could find...and hey, ya big dumb shark...I bet your mother wishes she had eaten you when you were born...you are a pitiful predator!"

And that was just perfect. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:58:20 AM »

Ok, finally the slime shark encounter is done.  I am thinking I need to work on a way to not try and write out every round of combat in the future.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

Ok, started back up on my AAR, took me a while to get through the RP session we had at the camp on deciding what to do after we found the prepotency had taken over our summer camp location.  Looking for some suggestions on formatting...the text is running together, started using italics for the dialog, but it isn't standing out like I had hoped...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »

The only issue I could see is that there was a lot of talking. Which...was exactly what we did back at that point of the story. biggrin

I think the italics helped. I'm not a fan of it personally, but it did break up giant paragraphs and make it a bit easier to read, so I really can't complain.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:40:29 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 01, 2010, 04:37:02 PM

The only issue I could see is that there was a lot of talking. Which...was exactly what we did back at that point of the story. biggrin

I think the italics helped. I'm not a fan of it personally, but it did break up giant paragraphs and make it a bit easier to read, so I really can't complain.

Tweaked font color and made dialog navy, let me know if you think it makes it any easier to read.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »

Nada. But I also use the white version of GT (light blue/white background) so a lighter color like blue is harder to read.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 05:22:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 01, 2010, 04:46:11 PM

Nada. But I also use the white version of GT (light blue/white background) so a lighter color like blue is harder to read.

Gotcha...will play around with it a bit more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: