http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 10:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite board game?  (Read 8315 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2005, 12:59:33 PM »

I've been playing some board games recently, and would like to know if other people have seen some new ones I haven't.

Power Grid (my current favorite)
Doom
Runebound
Heroscape

If you haven't tried it, Power Grid is a killer game for 2-6 people.  Two isn't really fun because of the bidding on power stations, but a three player game got really interesting.  Can't wait to get a six player one going.

Heroscape is also fun, and I can't wait for a good sale at TRU so I can pick up a couple of sets. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 05:02:08 PM »

Twilight Imperium 3rd edition - Master of Orion in space.

Risk 2210 - Risk in space, adds a lot of neat new ideas, but it's still basically risk style combat.

Nexus Ops - Axis and allies in space, well sort of.  It uses a randomized set of hexes as the territories surrounding a central monolith.  It's a light wargame that's fast and fun.

Shadows Over Camelot - One of the few truly cooperative boardgames where you battle against the game itself instead of other players.  You play various knights of the round going about questing to stop the fall of camelot, but beware, one knight may be a traitor.

Bang! - a quick fun card game where one person is the sheriff, and everyone else is either a deputy, outlaw, or renegade.  Your identity is always hidden until you're killed.  Deputies try to kill off all the outlaws and renegades, whilst making sure the sheriff survives.  The outlaws need to kill the sheriff, and the renegade wants to be the last man standing.  The sheriff has one more life than normal, and that grants him an extra card in his hand, so it's not a good idea to take him on directly.  So you have a lot of banter around the table trying to fool each other into thinking that you are who you're not, while positioning yourself for the kill.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 05:05:14 PM »

I thought Master of Orion WAS Master of Orion in space...  Tongue

That camelot games sounds interesting.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 05:17:33 PM »

uhhh... well...

Scrabble

slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 05:17:45 PM »

Game of Thrones-Really fun game mechanics, just wish they didn't hamstring themselves with the map as it makes the game unblanced.

San Juan & Puerto Rico.

Settlers of Catan. Fun game but damn expensive if you want the expansions.

Not a board game but had fun learning Warmachine. Not sure if I'll drop the bucks needed for my own units...maybe I'll just borrow other players stuff.  smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 05:25:35 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Twilight Imperium 3rd edition - Master of Orion in space.

How do you feel about the ISC card (the free victory point card)?

Risk 2210 - Risk in space, adds a lot of neat new ideas, but it's still basically risk style combat.

Nexus Ops - Axis and allies in space, well sort of.  It uses a randomized set of hexes as the territories surrounding a central monolith.  It's a light wargame that's fast and fun.

How long is a game of Nexus Ops?  I've been told it is what the Warcraft Board game should have been.  I'm really curious.

Shadows Over Camelot - One of the few truly cooperative boardgames where you battle against the game itself instead of other players.  You play various knights of the round going about questing to stop the fall of camelot, but beware, one knight may be a traitor.

This ons has been making waves on BGG.  I was hoping to play it sometime.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:30:36 AM »

I also play Warmachine and the new Starship Troopers miniature games.

I think the ISC is perfectly fine the way it is.  It's meant to be a time limiter to the game and it works.  You can't take it twice in a row, and observant players will make use of its drawbacks.

Nexus ops plays like an RTS.  You have three home base hexes in which you build things, you explore outward revealing exploration chits, which have mines or free units on them.  You mine the mines for cash to buy new units.

The key to nexus ops is that it's quick, there's no other depth besides the random board, unit special abilities, and the combat phases.  So you're really pushed towards building and winning those battles, all the while the unit mix still promotes the use of tactics.

SOC is a very fun game, especially if you're not feeling up to the usual adversarial gameplay and backstabbing of other boardgames.  There's still the potential of backstabbing from the traitor, but it's not as personal, and overall you're all trying to work together.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 10:26:26 PM »

Betrayal at the House on Haunted Hill?  I might not remember the title correctly.

Agreed on the gameboard for Game of Thrones, Lannister is destined to be a Kingmaker and very seldom the King

Done posting
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 01:59:27 AM »

Quote from: "the Nightbreeze"
Betrayal at the House on Haunted Hill?  I might not remember the title correctly.

Agreed on the gameboard for Game of Thrones, Lannister is destined to be a Kingmaker and very seldom the King

Betrayal is good...I've been enjoying that one as well.  Nice components too.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 02:01:43 PM »

Great... now the CG effect is going to extend to board games as well.  I hadn't heard of SoC yet and now it's only a matter of time before I get it.  

To stick with the topic, my current favorites are Puerto Rico and Game of Thrones.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »

Quote from: "Loomi"
Great... now the CG effect is going to extend to board games as well.  I hadn't heard of SoC yet and now it's only a matter of time before I get it.  

To stick with the topic, my current favorites are Puerto Rico and Game of Thrones.

How are the books that Game of Thrones is based off of.  I've been burned by Jordan, but keep hearing good things about George R.R. Martin.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 04:47:07 PM »

Clue, hands down.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Quote from: "Loomi"

How are the books that Game of Thrones is based off of.  I've been burned by Jordan, but keep hearing good things about George R.R. Martin.

I hear good buzz.  There is a CCG I was involved with for its first two years of release, and there is a large and dedicated fanbase, most of whom shared your dissapointment with Jordan.

The selling points I hear is good POV interactions, an unflinching look at the nastier parts of human existence and morality, a brutality and vulgarity that is visited upon all without apparent favor for any characters,
and a style that is direct yet descriptive.

That's just a blush, never read a book of it yet,  Holding up until I have my setting developed into something more concrete so as to avoid an temptation to plagerize.

Done posting
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 09:35:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

I think they are excellent.  Far, far better than the tripe that Jordan is now churning out.  Things actually *gasp* ]i]happen[/i] in the Martin books, which, after reading the last three or four Jordan books came as a breath of fresh air.

It has taken quite a while for the fourth book to come out (this Fall, I think, is the new release window) but they have proven to be worth it.

A lot of political intrigue, interesting characters, and a fair bit of the old blood and guts.  I enjoy the lack of magic in these books.  The magic has been touched on a tad, but it is more like a myth than reality in that people believe in it even though they've never seen it.  Don't want to give any spoilers...

It's a pleasant change of pace from the Jordan books to be sure.  A lot more mature but a fantastic world.

The POV changes seem to bother some people.  It doesn't bother me in the least.  It's quite exciting when it seems that every POV change ends in it's own little mini-cliffhanger you can't wait to resolve a few chapters later.

Shit hits the fan in every book and the twists are fuuuuun.  Man, I am glad I have a friend that reads these as well or I might have exploded when certain events occured!

I whole-heartedly reccomend them.  There are far better reviews to be had on places like Amazon, but beware of spoilers.  Don't let them rob you of the "oh wow" moments!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 05:14:28 PM »

Acquire (avalon hill) - easily the best board game I have ever played.  You buy up real estate and build hotel chains nad take over companies.  Its got strategy interaction quick and crazy direction changes.  And you actually work to win.  Most people have never heard of it because they stopped making them but if you see it, grab it.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 05:27:13 PM »

Settlers of Catan is great
Tikal is very good

There's more current ones but I"m drawing a blank right now....

I love an old classic called Civilization - the old Avalon Hill one, not any game based on Sid Meier's Civ computer games. It's a great game, but you need at least 4 to play, and I have no idea if it's even available any more.

I have some really old games that are still in the rotation:

Survive! - four tribes start out on an island which is slowly sinking into the ocean. You try to get to safe islands but have to avoid sharks and whales, and of course, getting dumped into the water when the island sinks, piece by piece. The tribe with the most point value on a safe island when the center one explodes wins.

Conspiracy - move 8 spies around a board to get a suitcase with secret plans into your headquarters. The thing is, nobody knows who REALLY controls any of the spies - anyone can move a spy, but you can also give payoffs to the spy, and if someone moves a spy you can challenge the move, which leads to a bidding war to see who's paid that spy more. If you "own" him, the move is taken back. However, spies can have their cover blown, which removes em from the game, so it's not good to put all your eggs in one basket. Lots of scheming and sneaky looks.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 06:51:59 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Clue, hands down.

I might mention that if you like clue, there's a new-ish game called Mystery at the Abbey that is a clue like game with a some really nice artwork and fun mechanics.

As far as the Game of Thrones, I find that additions in the 6 player rules from the expansion make for a much more balanced game.  If you ever get a chance to play it with 6 people it's a blast.

My favorites:
Mare Nostrum
Civilization (17 player version)
Game of Thrones
El Grande
Bohnanza

To name just a few,
s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 05:47:25 PM »

I think my all-time favorite is Star Wars Episode I Monpoly -- it's put together very well, with quality pieces and a niuce board -- without sacrificing the original game.

Another other favorite is Pirates of the Spanish Main.  It's a game I wish I could get people together to play more often.

Acquire is the same way -- great fun, but hard to get a group to go in on.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 07:12:58 PM »

Quote from: "Driver"
I think my all-time favorite is Star Wars Episode I Monpoly -- it's put together very well, with quality pieces and a niuce board -- without sacrificing the original game.

Another other favorite is Pirates of the Spanish Main.  It's a game I wish I could get people together to play more often.

Acquire is the same way -- great fun, but hard to get a group to go in on.

Check out a column I should be submitting for approval tonight.  Playing Acquire online is included.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 08:01:24 PM »

Ah, finally made time to go look at the shelf!

Bohnanza IS a great game but a board game? It's a card game (but a fun one, to be sure)

Other favorites....

Carcasonne
Vinci
History of the World (well, I like it, but hardly anyone else here does).

Lots of good suggestions here guys, food for thought, especially as I like to buy a new board game to take to the beach every year. I'll have to peruse some of these suggestions.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2005, 03:03:56 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
Bohnanza IS a great game but a board game? It's a card game (but a fun one, to be sure)

Bah, you're just argueing semantics, or perhaps you should email boardgamegeek and ask them to remove their listing for Bohnanza. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 09:33:15 PM »

I havent played board games in years, last game i remember playing was bargain hunter, that game was the bomb hahahaha. I use to take some of the money to school back in New york when i was living out there and show off, had real money in roll and use to stick the fake money in between the roll, hahahaha.

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 11:36:28 AM »

Cosmic Encounter...but the original Eon Games version, not the cascade of revisions and simplifications that have been made to it by successive publishers.
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »

the basic settlers of catan set is total wood and cardboard crack! a very good board game to fill in for a slow summer for video games.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 07:17:34 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Clue, hands down.

Do you know there are 2 new versions of Clue out?

Clue FX - narrated by the butler, same old Clue

Clue Mysteries - 50 mysteries to solve, based before Clue

I haven't played either, but Mysteries was interesting when I saw it at Games by James.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 03:02:49 PM »

Supremacy, very tough to find though, company went out of business so there's only EBay.

Dimplomacy is a close second, Risk is third for me.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2005, 07:10:04 PM »

<-- owns supremacy... I never get to play it with my current crop of friends, lol.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 07:32:33 PM »

Chess

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 06:38:59 AM »

You sank my BATTLESHIP!!! Great game. Lots of luck and fun for just 2 people!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 06:52:13 AM »

There are themed versions of clue too.

There's a Dungeons and Dragons clue, that combines the classic sleuthing gameplay along with killing monsters.  Hmm... The Thief killed the Cleric in the sacrificial alter room with a poisoned dagger.  I win!  Tongue
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 05:49:26 PM »

www.gamedaytrivia.com

Best NFL Trivia Board Game without question

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 07:42:54 PM »

Quote from: "tcweidner"
www.gamedaytrivia.com

Best NFL Trivia Board Game without question

I could be wrong, but IIRC, you worked on this project, right?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 02:23:44 AM »

exactly- thats why its the best NFL Trivia Board Game -   :wink:

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: