http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 12:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age RPG Box Set 2 Impressions - Anyone Interested?  (Read 1082 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »

I know there's been a bit of interest in this forum in the past about this PnP RPG, but I can't remember if anyone actually has or plays it. Anyhow, Box Set 2 that covers levels 6-10 is now out. If anyone is interested I can post some impressions and thoughts around the additions and enhancements.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »

I bought the digital version of set 1, sadly, I can't find any players so I haven't been interested in set 2, especially after set 1 didn't really expand the DA world all that much.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 06, 2011, 09:24:32 AM

I bought the digital version of set 1, sadly, I can't find any players so I haven't been

interested in set 2, especially after set 1 didn't really expand the DA world all that

much.

While Set 1 was minimal on background, a decent amount of new content was addded in the Blood in Ferelden adventure guide. That said, Set 2 does do a better job at expanding the Canon. For one it intro's the 7 differerent factions for the Circle Tower of Mages and secondly it brings in backgrounds for Orlessians, Quanari and characters from the Free Marches, all of which are playable. So in contrast, the 1st box set had 7 playable character backgrounds and that number has now shot up to 18! It really expands the Dwarf and Ozzamar portion of the canon - about 8 pages in Player Guide 2 alone dedicated to it. As well, 5 of the new character backgrounds are Dwarven. In terms of crafting knowledge, it has poison making and trap making that is significantly more advanced and detailed than the CRPGs. It also finally adds specializations - 3 each for the 3 different classes. Unfortunately the Ranger was left out and the Arcane Warrior and Bard were nerfed a bit, but the Blood Mages are very formidable - even more powerful than the CRPG

My biggest beef is that herblore and potion-crafting were left out, but a very professional looking fan-made guide filled that in virtually the moment the Box Set 2 was published. The same authors also did an excellent guide on Rune carving and enchantment for BS1. Honestly if you read those guides, you'd have a hard time determining if they were published by a fan or Green Ronin - they're that good. So if you include the fan-made material there's far more to the PnP now than what's in the CRPG's. Another beef is that, although they added a lot of Dwarf content it really only makes sense to use them in 2 of the 6 campaign types detailed in GM Guide 2. My last complaint is that GR is obviously saving the Elven portion of the canon for last box set, as BS2 didn't add to the existing City and Dalish Elf backgrounds.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:49:05 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: