http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 12:37:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age P&P RPG from Green Ronin  (Read 1691 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2010, 06:17:20 AM »

So they released the pdf version of the Dragon Age RPG.

Find it here:
greenronin.com/dragon_age/

Looks simple enough.  It's a 3d6 + attribute +skill >= target number system.  Average difficulty target number is 11.  There's a Dragon Die that's one of the 3d6, it only affects the how well you succeed, breaks ties, and generates stunt points for flashy moves in combat.  No critical successes or failures either.

It does use classes, but just the base 3 from dragon age, although you can branch into other areas such as Grey Warden.

Characters have a base ability stat and a focus under that ability stat, which is like a skill but doesn't have a stat number attached, instead you simply get a +2 if the Focus applies to a check.  There's also talents, which are things like the ability to use magic, handle animals well, basically special perks you see in other games.

It's overall like a streamlined, low powered fantasy D&D, which I like.  There's enough structure for those who like the crunch of a D&D style game, but streamlined enough to be easy to run.

I'm looking to run a game of this online, either via forum or meeting up with maptool and a voice chat software.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »

I'm interested as I'm currently not playing any tabletop RPG's, but I'm not so this is the one. I downloaded the freebie references from the greenronin site and quite honestly they look terrible. From your detailed description of the game system Turtle, I take it you have the preorder PDF guides; how do they look? The system sounds a bit simplistic as well - not so much of a problem as I don't have the time to delve into a complex RPG anyways. Another concern thought is that not a single LGS in my area has this listed in their preorder or soon to be available lists. That's a bit of a concern, as I really don't want to spend $ on a game that there's no chance of playing after online sessions wind up. I was also under the impressions that there'd eventually be DA fig's, but I don't see any indication of that?

I've been replaying DA:O and reading the novel, so I definitely have an appreciation for the excellent game world. slywink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »

It's a full system.  However, those used to the high levels of crunch that is in D&D should look elsewhere.  I think it's a streamlined version of a D&D style fantasy system, you can call it simplistic depending on what your preferences are.  It definitely has structure and crunch, but without needless layering and obfuscation to the extreme that drove me away from D&D.

Right now it's just basic setting, character, and GM info.  Clearly it's designed as an intro set, the streamlining is probably there for those new to pen and paper RPGs too.  You get more setting info from the game, of course.

I'm not sure what's going on with the retail releases.  I suspect the RPG market overall has hit on tough times.  I'm pretty sure there won't be DA miniatures if that's what you mean.  But DA still looks mostly like any fantasy setting out there, except maybe some of the darkspawn, so stuff from Reaper should fit.

Green Ronin is definitely a small company, so I think they're waiting to see how well DA:O sells and how big the community for it is before they spend money on a large print run.  The book is good quality though, lots of color illustrations, both new ones commissioned by GR, and stuff they licensed from Bioware.  Since the book looks to be in color, that's a big investment.  It's likely the books won't come out for another month or two, if at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: