http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DMs Take Note - New Adventure Path starting this month  (Read 2922 times)
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »

For any DMs out there short on time, there is a new adventure path coming to Dungeon Magazine starting this month.

The Elsir Vale has known a decade of peace following the rise of the Red Hand. The valley, as well as the town of Brindol, has flourished after adventurers defeated the threat posed by the hobgoblin armies. But now, from out of the hills to the north, a new threat has emerged. Natives of Brindol have been abducted, and the town’s war museum—dedicated to those fallen in the war against the Red Hand—has been raided and desecrated.

Meanwhile, beyond the Vale, the rumbling rumors of more trouble have begun to surface. Warbands forming in the mountains… Monsters crawling forth from the dark bowels of the world… And people everywhere have begun waking up at night in a cold sweat, uncertain where their feelings of dismay and panic come from…

The Scales of War Adventure Path will premiere in Dungeon #156, July 2008, with the 1st-level adventure “Rescue at Rivenroar,” by Wizards of the Coast designer David Noonan. Scales of War will continue each month in Dungeon, taking characters from 1st level all the way to 30th over the course of 18 adventures, spanning 18 months. This is the most ambitious Adventure Path in Dungeon’s history, and will take full advantage of the versatility of the new 4th Edition D&D rules. Support articles will appear regularly in Dragon, beginning with issue #366, August 2008.

Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »

Holy crap that sounds cool.

And Dungeon is only available online now (for free, and for however much a month later), right?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »

You have to be a D&D Insider member to get access to Dungeon and Dragon Magazines.  Currently it is free to do so.  When their DDI stuff is ready they will be charging you to be a member.  Right now they are releasing articles one by one and then going to make each magazine available as one big download.  What I'm hoping (but I haven't heard anything to support this - just a hope) is that I can buy the finished magazines on their own rather than subscribe to DDI as most of the stuff I don't want.

This is the first Dragon magazine (well, first 4E one - it's actually issue 364):
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drtoc/364

and the first Dungeon:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dutoc/155
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:57:31 PM »

wow...

is this digital only or will there be an in store or paper subscription (OMG what is this the 20th century!?!?!) option?
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »

Actually, this was all discussed last year when Dungeon and Dragon magazines were "killed" (if you can remember back then with all the outrage).  As far as I know this is going to be electronic only, but there was talk that there may be some print versions (might just be a "Best of Dragon" sourcebook that they sell once a quarter, or annually, or not at all.  ).  I think - from what I remember - the print magazines were not very profitable and thus the move to electronic.  I would love to get then hardcopy too, but I'll take something electronic and just bring my laptop to the game when I DM, over nothing.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »

im not sure if id get them, but i still hope someone from wizards is listening and decides to do a "one year virtual subscription" for one or both mags for less than the equivalent of the monthly fee (without the online playing field and book access)
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »

The general impression I got when they "killed" off the print magazines was that they were doing it because it made financial sense for them to do it (lots of D&D players in other countries couldn't afford the subscription, that in house printing of the magazines cost too much for the suits, as did the licencing them out to Paizo).  However, they said they would watch everything carefully and if there was enough demand they'd do it.  Basically, it's not likely that it'll be anything other than electronic, but you never know. 
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »

Oh, another thing that I remember reading about the "new" Dungeon and Dragon mags.  Apparently, each article will be reviewed by the actual designers so the articles will be as "canon" as the various sourcebooks when they come out.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »

Really cool. Almost makes me wish we hadn't started our campaign with the modules. Still, the modules are a lot of fun, and nothing beats opening up a new one and looking at all the cool maps and such.  icon_biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »

Quote from: IceBear on July 02, 2008, 07:11:52 PM

The general impression I got when they "killed" off the print magazines was that they were doing it because it made financial sense for them to do it (lots of D&D players in other countries couldn't afford the subscription, that in house printing of the magazines cost too much for the suits, as did the licencing them out to Paizo). 

Oddly enough, I read two very choice quotes about this earlier today (from some forum post years ago on Wizard's own forum). One was from Gary Gygax himself. Basically it stated that people were buying the magazines in droves, and since they were SO chock full of content, people weren't buying the new source books or adventures. In short, Paizo did TOO good of a job with the mags.

This is why that Paizo has absolutely no intention on making anything 4th Edition, and that they're working on their own 'fixed' version of 3.5 that'll work perfectly with the monthly adventures they release both in hard copy and pdf (and that are quite nice, BTW). You can even grab a beta of their source book for free on their site if you're curious.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 02, 2008, 08:32:03 PM

Quote from: IceBear on July 02, 2008, 07:11:52 PM

The general impression I got when they "killed" off the print magazines was that they were doing it because it made financial sense for them to do it (lots of D&D players in other countries couldn't afford the subscription, that in house printing of the magazines cost too much for the suits, as did the licencing them out to Paizo). 

Oddly enough, I read two very choice quotes about this earlier today (from some forum post years ago on Wizard's own forum). One was from Gary Gygax himself. Basically it stated that people were buying the magazines in droves, and since they were SO chock full of content, people weren't buying the new source books or adventures. In short, Paizo did TOO good of a job with the mags.

This is why that Paizo has absolutely no intention on making anything 4th Edition, and that they're working on their own 'fixed' version of 3.5 that'll work perfectly with the monthly adventures they release both in hard copy and pdf (and that are quite nice, BTW). You can even grab a beta of their source book for free on their site if you're curious.

I have the alpha rules and I plan on buying the finished rules too, but so far they've changed so much that you're still going to have to do a fair bit of work modifying NPCs in various sourcebooks rather than just being able to use them with D&D 3.75 like was originally advertised.  Basically, it looks like they took a lot of the concepts from various houserules and 4E and added them to 3.5.  Hopefully it will work out (Cook and Reynold's are there now so hopefully the rules will tighten up) but right now, while I plan on buying the Pathfinder rules when it's done - I'm not using them for the Pathfinder adventure paths that I'm running as it's just too much work to convert (I really don't have the time like I used to - hence my using the adventure paths instead of my own).  Once I finish the Adventure Path I'm probably going to run a 4E game rather than a 3.75 game just because I like the change in combat (went from party vs one or a small number of monsters to big epic battles) from what I've been playing for the past 10 years or so.  Still not sure I like 4E, but by the time I get done with this Pathfinder Adventure path it will probably have a lot more books to flesh it out.

It's funny that people were saying that the magazines were being bought in droves and they killed them off to stop competition with the published books.  Way back in 1E and 2E days, a lot of my group used to get the magazines.  I was the only one that still did in 3E.  Most of my local gaming shops stopped carrying them as they didn't sell (suspect that most people that wanted them, subscribed).  Paizo did a GREAT job with the magazines, especially the Adventure Paths in Dungeon.  However, since WotC never did any modules past the first few starter modules (much like they are only doing a few modules for 4E - there's not enough profit in modules for Hasbro) I never really considered them competing against them.  Likewise, the Dragon articles were good, but they tended to be short so there was still room for the various splatbooks that WotC put out.  Heck, a lot of Dungeon and Dragon articles came from WotC.  People just love to see WotC as money grubbers to that tends to skew things.  I know money has a lot to do with it, but WotC actually delayed the announcement of cancelling Dungeon and Dragon magazines to let Paizo prepare their Pathfinder replacement - that doesn't sound like an evil corp only caring about money to me. 

Anyway, in case it got lost in there - I love Paizo - I am a Pathfinder subscriber and buy a lot of gaming tools and aids from them.  They are a great company with great products and excellent customer service.  I'm sure Pathfinder RPG will be great (especially with Cook and Reynolds there now).  I'm not 100% sure that the direction they are going with Pathfinder RPG is the way I want to go, but then neither am I sure about 4E.

As for the magazines - WotC always had the business intent of using them (especially Dungeon) rather than publishing modules.  There's basically 3 4E modules planned and there will probably be a few for Forgotten Realms and Eberron when those campaign setting books are launched, but by and large you won't see many more modules for 4E after that.  There will probably be one or two a year of a larger scale, but they will be focusing on the adventure paths (like they were doing for the last few years when Paizo was publishing the magazines).  If those magazines were competing against their other products, then they wouldn't be coming back in electronic format.  I've read the first issue of both and they seem to contain the same content that they did when they were in print format (if anything - higher quality).  I'm going to guess that those posts were made just after the magazines were cancelled and many people were sure they were doing it because they wanted to make more money rather than just trying a different distribution method.  Gary and WotC fell out way back in the beginning of 3E which was why he did Legendary Journies.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:58:17 PM by IceBear » Logged
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

I'm sure at the end of the 18th part that WotC will reprint the adventure path as a HB book like they did with the whole The Shackled City Adventure Path from Dungeon which turned out to be a very nice book.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »

I believe that was Paizo that did that, but yeah, I'd imagine they'll do that.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 12:19:43 AM »

The first part is now out:

http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=156_SoW_Rivenroar.pdf

This will probably be my last post in awhile.  I'm realizing I'm spoiling for a fight due to my divorce stress and bitterness and I'm going to remove myself before I make a bigger ass of myself than normal
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »

Quote from: IceBear on July 12, 2008, 12:19:43 AM

Just glanced through it - very cool.

BTW - the link above only works if you're signed into the Insider thingy first. Without doing so, you'll bounce right back here.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 09:48:25 PM »

im sorry to hear that ice - your d&d info will be missed.  best of luck to ya though, wish you the best and hope youre feeling "better" about it (i say "better" because im sure thats a very relative word for what youre going through)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: