http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:36:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Gamer's Wives  (Read 9392 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »

My wife doesn't get video games. I bought Guitar Hero and she asked me 'Do people your age play this?'. I do something cool like have the PoP lop some sand creature's head off and go 'Cool!' and she'll go 'it is?'

That not withstanding, she's very patient with my hobby.

To top it off, this past weekend she went clothes shopping.

And she bought me a shirt.

It has a picture of a GC controller and it says 'I have control issues.'  And....IT GLOWS IN THE DARK.

I love it.

(I couldn't break it to her that I haven't owned anything nintendo since the NES, but...it's the thought that counts.smile )
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:58:33 PM »

My wife has no interest in games outside of the Solitaire games that come with the Windows.  I thought about trying to get her into them and than figured that it's better to just have a few things that we do separately.  I see the upside of a gamer wife, however I'm happy the way things are as we do plenty of other things together.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:01:40 PM »

My wife never liked video or computer games until she saw me playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance one time and she wanted to play.  We ended up playing the whole thing co-op and she loved it.  She would completely get into it with the trash-talking and all.

Since then she's played several games both with me and by herself.  She's been seriously addicted to the SSX series and Katamari Damacy.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 10:54:58 PM »

My wife has zero interest but totally doesn't care what I do game-wise.  She is cool with me buying what I want and playing as much as I want.  I never abuse it though and only play a few hours each week at most.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:16:35 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
My wife has zero interest but totally doesn't care what I do game-wise.  She is cool with me buying what I want and playing as much as I want.  I never abuse it though and only play a few hours each week at most.

Which, in turn, is why she's okay with it. slywink
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:50:03 PM »

I can vouch for GatorFavre and say he's got an awesome gaming wife.

Lucky bastard.   biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:50:22 PM »

Quote from: "Austin"
Quote from: "mikeg"

Which, in turn, is why she's okay with it. slywink

Exactly!  My wife plays the games like Kareoke Revolution, beatmania, Taiko, and the kids games that we end up reviewing.  She enjoyes watching me play games and gets into RPGs, but she doesn't want to actively play any of them.  She is digging Oblivion and Suikoden V right now. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 01:22:34 AM »

Mine has no interest. She will have me look up a webpage sometimes or use email. She used to use eBay. As for gaming she does'nt care what i do. ive sat here sometimes 14 hours straight. the computer is in one room and the main room has her tv. She watches soaps that i dont care for and I play games.

Ive sat here 12 years enarly now. 5-12 hours a day normally every day.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 12:38:11 PM »

C'mon guys, do you really think, after playing games with our heads all day, that Ninja Gaiden: Black is gonna hold their interest?  :wink:

In all seriousness, my wife will play some games.  She's far more receptive to games of the party, beat, or silly variety.  I can't tell you how many hours we spent playing Disney's ToonTown Online.  She enjoyed the game for what it was, as did I, but what made it work was that we were spending time together.  We'd crank up iTunes, pour some chocolate milk, and have our two little mice runnin' around around blowin' up robots.

She's highly unlikely to pick up a game and play it by herself unless it's a card game or Sudoku on her laptop.  The only "video game" I've ever seen her pick-up and play of her own volition was Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.  In fact, I couldn't play my brand new DS for a week 'cause she was hogging it.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 01:42:12 PM »

Who has time for dating when WoW is out?

*ducks*

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 07:25:27 PM »

The most serious game my wife has played is Zoo Tycoon.  She digs Galaga.  Plays mostly Spider Solitaire.   I had her playing Hexic one night for a while.

The problem is, the 360 is a new toy and I'm monopolizing it in the evenings.  She has watched me play GRAW.  The best gaming moment I've had with her is her yelling at me to "Kill Him!!!" and "There he is!!!  Get him!!" as I was using the thermal goggles in that game.

- shaggy

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 07:30:26 PM »

My wife plays WoW, and is a pretty awesome side scrolling shooter player. Shes never really gotten into Ikaruga, though.

Her paladin has now gained 2 levels on my mage (but only cause I've been sucked into EVE online) and she's now Molten Core attuned.

And she's good looking, too. smile
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »

My wife will play pretty much any console game.  She and I play GR:AW, PGR3, Geometry Wars, etc.  Up until this year we played NFL 2k series every year.  Neither of us really can get into Madden.

The nice thing about her playing these games while I am at work is that it helps unlock achievements. smile

The only game she hasn't cared for was EQ.  In fact she pretty much banned me from playing it.  Gave me a choice of her or the game..

So... Since then I just try to "control" the MMORPG addicition. smile
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 01:57:10 AM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
Who has time for dating when WoW is out?

*ducks*

So true.
docvego
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 01:13:59 AM »

I got my Fiance hooked on BF2, she has more hours logged on-line than I do.

unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 08:32:21 PM »

I read an interview a few years ago with Asia Carerra in a gaming mag or website, apparently she was (could still be for all I know) a big Unreal Tournament fan, was in a clan and everything.

Best... Clan... EVER.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 09:19:20 PM »

My ex-wife took my xbox from me. frown
and all of the games I had no interest in (Karaoke, BG:DA, etc).

I showed her... still have the Dynasty Warriors. Booyah! slywink

She wasn't bad looking either, but there's something wrong with the way she thinks. :: sigh :: My current interest only plays tetris, but she plays it better than anyone else I've ever seen. I tried getting her into Hexic or Zuma, and then realized I don't WANT her hogging my 360... so I bought a GBA with Tetris Worlds instead. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 12:14:10 AM »

I'm lucky I guess.  My wife loves to play games.  We have played several games together, mostly MMO's.  AO, SW:G, DAOC, Wow.

She doesnt like RTS games but loves Rollercoaster Tycoon.   smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »

The only game Mrs. Gratch has ever played is Worms:  Armageddon.  She played it for a couple weeks after I bought it, then never picked it up again.  She's pretty tolerant with my gaming, as long as I don't go overboard with it.  Thankfully, she does have the occasional gaming moment.  For instance, a couple weeks ago, a song came on the radio and she said, 'Kinda sounds like the music from Metal Gear Solid, don't you think?'.  I was so proud.  :sniff:  She'll also sometimes watch me play RPG's and even asked once if I could wait to play through the next part of Shadow Hearts:  Covenant until she could watch.  

She also has this uncanny ability to spot things in games that I miss.  If I ever get stuck in a level or with a puzzle, she'll walk in and figure it out in about a minute.  It's kind of freaky, really.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 08:14:18 PM »

My not-yet-wife plays some mean Splinter Cell, and is a Warren Buffett of the WoW auction house (not to mention having more combined levels than me).  Otherwise, she seems to care less.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 01:39:59 AM »

i had a girlfriend once who collected game consoles... had boxes and boxes of peripherals and cables, and a fair number of games - but in the year+ that we went out, i never saw her playing much of anything besides DDR, Samba de Amigo, Master of Orion II and HoMM III.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »

My wife likes to play some of the old ps1 games we have the ones with burgertime and frogger on occasion we will play some centipede against each other I don't know where she learned to play but she owns me at that game lol.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »

My ex used to beat my ass in mariokart. Hence we are not going out anymore.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 11:50:14 AM »

I find it amazing how many gamers have wives!

My fiancee is a semi-gamer.  She'll play Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Dr. Mario, or Tetris.  Anything else doesn't hold her attention for long.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 01:14:18 AM »

Quote from: "hornysax"
I find it amazing how many gamers have wives!

My fiancee is a semi-gamer.  She'll play Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Dr. Mario, or Tetris.  Anything else doesn't hold her attention for long.

Sounds like my wife.  She only plays certain games, but when she gets into one... LOOK OUT!  She probably logged double the ammount of time I did in Oblivion.

She also enjoys watching me play games as long as they dont involve a year in the title.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 02:30:26 AM »

I'm slowly getting the wife hooked smile  She's an XBL Arcade Junkie... Hexic, Frogger, Bejeweled, Uno, etc.  And she wanted to preorder Super Monkey Ball Adventure.

Though she saw me playing Far Cry Instincts, and asked if I planned on playing those type of games in front of our children (whenever we have some) smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 02:36:08 AM »

According to Nintendo's site, there's a Strawberry Shortcake game coming out for the DS.  This may be my opportunity to rope her in! slywink
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 03:42:06 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
According to Nintendo's site, there's a Strawberry Shortcake game coming out for the DS.  This may be my opportunity to rope her in! slywink

Is your wife 6? :twisted:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 12:55:43 AM »

Until recently, I'd not knowingly met many women who played any PC games let alone games that I enjoy like strategy or FPS games - obviously they're out there but I wasn't aware of them in real life.

Then one day, a few months ago, I saw this pretty blonde girl with the old-fashioned black plastic frame glasses and wearing a Serenity t-shirt working out at the gym.

Naturally, I took this as a sign to talk her. I was hoping she wouldn't say "Oh, this shirt? I found it." or "Ehh, it's my brother's old t-shirt. I don't know anything about some tv show. Scram." However, she was indeed a fan of Firefly and a WoW player as well (I found this out later) a Civilization II player and in the past an EverQuest fan. It's destiny! I thought...

She was pretty much a gamer's fantasy girl in looks and style but unfortunately for me and my dream of having a gamer girlfriend who would buy the games I'm too cheap to cough up the cash for, she had a boyfriend who plays a mean CounterStrike game. And me, alack, too busy to go back to WoW.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 07:40:24 PM »

I wouldn't marry a chick that had a problem with gaming, and I would have serious second thoughts about marrying a chick that wasn't a gamer herself.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
She also has this uncanny ability to spot things in games that I miss.  If I ever get stuck in a level or with a puzzle, she'll walk in and figure it out in about a minute.  It's kind of freaky, really.

Heh... I knew I'd played one JRPG too many when a friend was stuck in one I'd never played, and I asked him where he was stuck.  He described an area where he could reach the exit, because the only pathways he could reach went around the exit.  I pressed for more details, and eventually suggested that one of the dead-ends he described at an abyss in the middle of the area probably had an invisible bridge to cross.

He looked at me like I was some sort of alien and said "how do you DO that and you haven't even SEEN the game?!"

:lol:  He called me later all wigged out because it turned out I was right.

Like I said, I've played one JRPG too many.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 05:24:53 AM »

My wife has only tried Guild Wars for about 15 minutes a year or so ago in an attempt to like gaming.  She quit when she found out you had to level a character and learn a couple hotkeys.  She hasnt even attempted anything since and has 0 interest.

However, she pretty much doesnt care what i play and as long as i spend time with her and the kids, i can game when i want.

But i'm thinking i might have an opening to get her gaming again.  She recently started taking up geocaching as a hobby.....something i hate and find incredibly boring.  But in return for gaming, i'll drive her around occasionally.  The other day she was pleading with me to spend more time geocaching with her and she'd learn to game with me.   I'm gonna hit her up on and that she if she's willing to upgrade her system for gaming.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »

Well I'm just a teenager, so I consider myself lucky, growing up in a generation of universal gaming. And of course I can have the option of looking for girls that game.

Right now out of the 78 girls I know(rough estimate) all of them have tried video gaming, and about 50 of them like it, and take over their younger/older brothers consoles.

You don't know how many times I've lent out Super Mario and my Gameboy SP to girls I know. And they are pretty good too, at playing games that is......

So I guess it's kind of cool.

Oh and these days with every single teenager on earth owning a cell phone, they have games, and I often catch girls playing games on their phones pretty much everywhere I go. That is when they arent chatting or text messaging.

I'm bound to have a Cool Gamer Wife.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2006, 03:18:28 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on August 12, 2006, 05:59:17 PM

Well I'm just a teenager...

And [girls] are pretty good too, at playing games that is......

Like you wouldn't believe, son.  Like you wouldn't believe.  icon_wink

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2006, 05:10:52 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 13, 2006, 03:18:28 AM

Quote from: Darren8r on August 12, 2006, 05:59:17 PM

Well I'm just a teenager...

And [girls] are pretty good too, at playing games that is......

Like you wouldn't believe, son.  Like you wouldn't believe.  icon_wink

Haha, I believe you.  thumbsup

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2006, 08:35:18 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 25, 2006, 02:30:26 AM

I'm slowly getting the wife hooked smile  She's an XBL Arcade Junkie... Hexic, Frogger, Bejeweled, Uno, etc.  And she wanted to preorder Super Monkey Ball Adventure.

Though she saw me playing Far Cry Instincts, and asked if I planned on playing those type of games in front of our children (whenever we have some) smile
Well, it's official.  I can't play the 360 these days because she's too busy storming through Jewel Quest - not that I'm complaining smile
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2006, 01:46:57 PM »

My wife plays computer games as much as I do almost. She prefers the gambling games like card games or slots (not for money) but sometimes things like Yachtzee(sp?) or Bejeweled.

Ye Olde Farte
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 24, 2006, 10:54:58 PM

Likewise, I probably play more than a few hours a week but the wife is cool about it. Personally I prefer it that way - but in the hugely unlikely event she ever did get interested then i'd setup a rig for her - but it ain't going to happen smile.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »

I'm not married, but my girlfriend and I are pretty close and spend a lot of time together so I can relate. I go back and forth in my own mind about whether I want her to get into gaming the way I am. I love video games, but I'll admit they have kept me from certain activities which would probably be more beneficial for me. Sometimes, because of video games, I'm too lazy to exercise, or I don't study as much as I should, or I rush home from work early because I've been dreaming about video games, or I pass on social activities. I don't really want my girlfriend to get hooked on video games and develop the same negative habits I've developed. At the same time, I know it it would be cool to be able to have conversations with her about video games, look forward to the same upcoming video games, have her play WoW with me in the evenings, help eachother when we're stuck in a particular part, and so on. She's definately shown signs of a potential video game girlfriend; I let her borrow my GameCube for a few weeks when she first moved into her apartment, she got about 13 hours into Paper Mario within a week which I thought was great progress, that's enough time to beat most console games. She also LOVEs the DS, over the weekend on our 4 hour flight to Texas, and the flight back, she put a lot of time into New Super Mario Bros. and many of it's mini-games. I've tried to get her into WoW, but simply out of principle and knowing how much time I can spend on it she won't touch the game. She gets angry when I put a raid in the evening ahead of seeing her or some other social activity, but other than that she doesn't mind my video game habit.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2006, 11:05:26 PM »

My GF plays MY 360 more than I do  eek

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: