http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:07:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Battletech  (Read 2394 times)
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2006, 08:15:52 PM »

So, Fyedaddy and I are going to start getting into some classic tabletop Battletech hex-map wargaming.  I've been digging around through Google to find some resources, and was wondering if maybe any of you guys know of a site with some nice scenarios or pre-designed mechs, or better yet a program to design mechs with that prints out decent sheets for use with the game.

I'm finding a few things, but not sure of what's worth the time of checking into yet.  Figured I might see if any of you have any recommendations.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:32:50 PM »

It's been awhile, so I can't help much with online resources, but if you are interested,  MegaMek is a good way to play online.

http://megamek.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

If you do look into this, send me a message.  I'd love to play.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 08:46:54 PM »

Im not sure this is what you want but have you looked into Mechwarrior Dark Age?

HERES a review.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:55:16 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Im not sure this is what you want but have you looked into Mechwarrior Dark Age?

HERES a review.

Meh...MWDA was amusing, but they're doing so much to the world that I don't care for.  The most glaring issue I have with using mechs in a battle is that they can shoot or move (just like any other unit).  The only advantage that they have over regular units is that you can keep 'pushing' them and just add heat to the dial.  They simplified the game too much IMHO.  They are nice looking minatures, and if anyone would like some, I have a collection that I would sell off.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 09:23:18 PM »

There are/were a lot of mech designer programs out there.  Heavy Metal Pro was the best that I have spent time with.  It is/was a commercial product though.  

Might be worth a search.  Also I second megamek.  Closest thing to the boardgame on a computer that I've seen to date.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DisenfranchisedPirate
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 04:10:18 AM »

Just an FYI that the MWDA miniatures game went through a large rule revamp over a year ago. Mechs were improved signifigantly, can now move and shoot, equip pilots, and equip gear. The new rule set accompanied a name evolution to Age of Destruction (the game is now referenced by MWAoD).

Overall its a considerably stronger game than when it was initially released under the original Dark Age rules.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 11:10:32 PM »

I love Classic, hated the new one.

Played so much battletech growing up my eyes should have falling out from it.

Megamek is amazing, I played it quite a bit a few years back.  At the time it was basically a massively multiplayer persistant battletech campaign online for free. Hard to beat that imo.  I'll have to check on it's current status and the other tools I used to use.  Can't for the life of me remember all their names.  I bought a software package (Heavy Metal) that is a computerized mech design program and it absolutely rocks.  Sadly after I got it I couldn't find anyone to play with frown

You can design your own mechs and just print off new sheets.  Would have been a Godsend back when I played everyday.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 11:34:04 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 16, 2006, 08:32:50 PM

It's been awhile, so I can't help much with online resources, but if you are interested,  MegaMek is a good way to play online.

http://megamek.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

If you do look into this, send me a message.  I'd love to play.

I just DL'ed it.  I used to play the old school TT Battletech all the time.  LOVED it.  BobM and I used to play.  I miss those days.

The only clix game I looking forward too is the horror clix.  My buddy who runs the hobby store has the Cthulhu one on his desk in the office, its huge, and cool.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »

Quote from: DisenfranchisedPirate on July 01, 2006, 04:10:18 AM

Just an FYI that the MWDA miniatures game went through a large rule revamp over a year ago. Mechs were improved signifigantly, can now move and shoot, equip pilots, and equip gear. The new rule set accompanied a name evolution to Age of Destruction (the game is now referenced by MWAoD).

Overall its a considerably stronger game than when it was initially released under the original Dark Age rules.

Did the revamp invalidate the older bits, or just leave them without upgrade capabilities (putting in the little upgrade tabs).

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 12:07:35 AM »

Just so you know, there's a lot of new prepainted, but not random collectable games coming out.  Look for Rackham's AT-43 for mech action.  Albiet, it's an infantry with walkers combat game, but at least you know what you get in the box, and the rules are stable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: