http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:06:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bilon meets World: The GT D&D 4e adventure.  (Read 726 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »

“Hello, my name is Bilon, and I’m a dwarf. “

“Hello, Bilon,” the group choruses.  I’m addressing a group of like minded individuals who refuse to conform to human stereotypes.  

Let me tell you a bit about myself.  I’m Bilon Avandrason.  From my last name you can tell that I’m an adherent of Avandra.  We adopt the name of our Goddess with daughter or son to show our new family allegiance.  We use “child” in the cases of species who are, shall we say, more complicated or less complicated in the biology realm.

I don’t really want to bore anyone with my childhood, but it was interesting.  I grew up  with a dwarf clan known as the Stonemasters who found me as a toddler.  Gomlon, a dwarven trader, was driving his cart through a forest one morning when he heard a plop in the back of his cart.  He turned around and found a laughing baby boy holding a small, blue stone dragon in his fist.  That was me, as you would expect.  I held out the dragon and said, “Asti!”  They thought that was my name but it didn’t sound right and later changed it to Bilon.  I had apparently fallen out of a tree in which he found a small bed.  Gomlon also saw signs of a dragon so they he left with me in a hurry.  

I was adopted by the tribe and had a wonderful childhood.   My little dragon (who was Asti) and I went everywhere.  The clan taught me to love and worship and respect.  The Stonemasters were an efficient people.  We had farmers, traders, warriors, scholars and priests, just to name a few.  Simply put, we were dwarves.  It puzzled me when I went with the tribe to trade that humans especially were so dense.  The young ones would come to me and make silly comments like “You eat rocks, or big and strong but dumb and so on.”  I would ask my dad – I considered Gomlon my dad – why did they treat us so simply.  He tried to explain to me that it was a stereotype.  Many of the dwarves who lived in non-dwarven lands were the “hit now, what’s a question” types who had rocks for brains.  And I don’t mean good rocks.  

My dad called these types the “Stout Dwarves.”  We had some in the tribe and they were useful people. They defended us when necessary and were great workers.  Many of us owed our lives to them.  Just as they owed their lives to the rest of the tribe for the food, healing, shelter and everything else that communities provide.  The thing was that our Stout Dwarves were part of the community.  They weren’t fools who rushed off to find new things to do and kill.  They had a purpose.  The real Stout Dwarves on the outside were those who simply looked for an excuse to bully and kill.  They confused plain spoken-ness and rudeness.  They were embraced by those who needed brutes to do dirty work and would enjoy it.  Their sheer numbers made them the visible symbols of dwarfdom and the rest of us had to pay for it.

I learned the hard way that the Stout Dwarves were who they were and you pretty much just had to tolerate them with a smile and a nod.  You can’t get mad at a dog for being a dog.  They are what they are, and sometimes a dog is a wonderful thing.  Even a Stout Dwarf can be useful in the right circumstances.  
I was always fascinated by religion and worship but something didn’t seem right.  One day a priest of Moradin, who had been a favorite mentor of mine, took me aside and told me it was time for a talk.  He showed me Asti and explained that it was really Aasterinian (OOC: some confusion on this – but I’m taking what wiki says about the 4th edition) the blue dragon messenger of Avandra.   Listol, the priest, told me that it was obvious that I was Avandra’s.  He began to teach me what he knew of Avandra and also teaching me tolerance and respect of the righteous gods.  I quickly knew that I had found my life’s purpose.  

A few years later my clan said good-bye.  I was told that I was always welcome with them, but I belonged to Avandra and needed to go find Her.  They told me of a temple in the woods far off and suggested I go there.  I did and became a disciple.  I was later sent out to take her cause to the world and I came upon the Stone Crows in a troubled land.
Along the way I met other good people who were also resisting the one dimensional perceptions of the outer world.  Dwarves, like elves, humans, half-orcs and the like all have traits but most of us refuse to become caricatures.  

I also found a Stout Dwarf, but I didn’t realize how intertwined we would become.  Avandra has a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:53:42 AM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »

reserved

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: