http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 02:31:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlelore Does a Game of Thrones - FFG Announces Battles of Westeros  (Read 1670 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »

I haven't seen anything official on the Fantasy Flight Games website, but according to this blog this weekend they announced a new game named Battles of Westeros. A lot of hardcore players in the boardgamegeek Battlelore form, who are typically in the know about these things, are treating it as legit which leads me to believe it's probably true. The picture at the above link clearly shows it as a new base game - so likely it's a new series using the BORG'ian gameplay mechanics. I don't know what to think about it personally; my son and  I love Battlelore, but I'm not sure if I want to fork out $ for another similar game series. On the other hand I think the Game of Thrones boardgame is one of the best Weuros out there and from what I hear the the world developed by the books is very rich.  I'd be far more enthused if you could combine it with Battlelore, but from what I know about the Game of Thrones universe -admittedly not much- there isn't Goblins and Dwarves.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »

Sounds pretty cool.. love the Battlelore game system.

Keep my eye out.

"Goonies never say die"
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:34:45 PM »

Oh wow.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »

From what I've read this is Fantasy Flight's first foray taking the Battlelore license they purchased from Days of Wonder and doing something with it.  It's listed as a "Battlelore game", but from what I've read in an interview with FFG it's only tangentially related.  It sounds like they'll be changing the mechanics quite a bit, I've heard some people say it comes off as a cross between Battlelore and Tide of Iron.

The first Core set is supposed to have armies for the Starks and Lannisters, with expansions adding more Houses later.

XBox Live:  JNacht
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:35:04 AM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on February 25, 2010, 12:03:20 AM

From what I've read this is Fantasy Flight's first foray taking the Battlelore license they purchased from Days of Wonder and doing something with it.  It's listed as a "Battlelore game", but from what I've read in an interview with FFG it's only tangentially related.  It sounds like they'll be changing the mechanics quite a bit, I've heard some people say it comes off as a cross between Battlelore and Tide of Iron.

The first Core set is supposed to have armies for the Starks and Lannisters, with expansions adding more Houses later.

That's what I've heard too since making the initial post. I've read a review of someone who got to play an early edition of the game at the FFG event. It's definitely quite a bit different from battlelore. One thing that sounds great about it is that they did away with section restricted orders. It also has 8-sided dice instead of 6-sided. Some posters at boardgamegeek have said it more closely resembles Command and Colors: Ancients than Battlelore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: