http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 12:27:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkham Horror and the Expansions  (Read 1619 times)
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:31:46 PM »

I decided to make its own thread for this, in case others have, or are trying to figure out what to use.

I now have all the expansions to date (except the RIVISED version of the Pharoah one.) I spent the last couple of days getting everything reorganized and separated into each expansions own stuff.

Now, I have all of this stuff....

For those of you that are in the know, I want to only use the base game(board) for a bit, but still want some of the expansion stuff. What should be the base line for content? Always use the King in Yellow? What about the Pharoah stuff? The Goat expansion? The Lurker expansion? What about the different components from the big box expansions? Like the injury/madness cards?

What do you use in EVERY game, no matter what expansions (boards) you use or not use?

Thanks

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »

i would say always use the injury/madness just because theyre so much fun.  and i guess with the miskatonic  they became as dangerous as intended so toss those in there too (though i dont have it, it seems that certain injury cards have corresponding madnesses that get a character devoured and the opposite holds true - previously as long as you took one injury and one madness it was actually a huge help unless you get one of the REALLY nasty ones - and you never had to worry about accidently killing off your person right then and there).

i actually never picked up king in yellow just because those blighted allies just looked TOO brutal for me!  and i mentioned in the other thread that while i have black goat and LOVED the idea of it thematically, i never added it in after lurker because if i wanted to dabble in the dark side and engage in risky double sided deals, the lurker stuff has a MUCH higher chance of coming into play.  now again ive HEARD some of this stuff was addressed in miskatonic, but as much fun as those corruption cards are in theory, id rather go with the lurker.  who i HIGHLY suggest adding to a base game - though it seems like the lurker plays much more like a helpful presence than a hardcore hindrance

and as a very fun distraction, i would always add in those investigator specific quests.  i forget what theyre called but theyre the ones where every investigator has their own specific pass / fail mission that adds a permanent benefit or penalty.

in the end i think its a purely personal decision however, on what does or doesnt make the game most fun for any individual group.  i like to go with dunwich, innsmouth and lurker in full (boards + cards).  and naturally if i were you i wouldnt hesitate to cherry pick specific spells, monsters, items etc as you see fit!  oh and i know i love as much variety as possible, so id probably add in the big expansion box arkham encounter cards as well (i THINK you can pretty much get away with this without including the expansion boards?).
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »

Here is my reply on another forum to the answers I got. Note, though, I just got the Lurker expansion today, so I haven't even looked at it much.

I figure I would use, as my baseline, the Dunwich Horror, The King in Yellow, and probably the Curse of the Paroah (maybe). I will use all the items cards (spells, items, ect). I was thinking of using all the allies (maybe), and using all the injury/madness cards. Also, using all the locations, Mythos and gate cards....but not sure about the Mythos and the Gate Cards. Especially the Gate Cards, as it seems I would be using the "Other" result quite a bit. I could be wrong, though.

Is that a decent (gameplay without crazy dilution) basic set up? I figure sometimes, I could use one of the other board expansions either along with Dunwich or instead of. But I remember really liking the Dunwich Horror expansion a lot when I played before.

There is just so much in the game anymore, that it is hard to determine what to use.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:41:40 AM »

you MIGHT have a problem getting exhibit items from Curse, but its not that big of a deal (this is largely what was "fixed" in the new edition) and you will end up tossing out a few of the mythos cards as you draw them (as they will open gates in towns you arent playing with) but other than that youll be fine playing the way you describe.  if you do include allies from the expansions remember to shuffle all the allies up and then form an ally deck of 11 (i think?) allies.  regardless of how many expansion ally sets you include, you only ever play with a deck of 11 (random) allies.  again, double check the number as im PRETTY sure thats it, but it might be 10 or more.

and yup adding in all the item cards is a neat way to add more variety to the already awesomely wild number of things you can turn up.  would you use the king in yellow herald or just the cards?  if you do go with the herald it makes the terror level MUCH more lethal (and as i said before, far too terrifying for me!).  also im pretty sure the blighted allies DONT need to correspond to the allies in the actual ally deck so it wont matter if you form your ally deck with other expansions included
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:03:42 AM »

I have found that I prefer to keep all of the expansions separate and play them individually, at least as far as the cards go. Each expansion adds a unique feel and story to the game and if you put a bunch of them together it ends up a bit of a muddle. Fighting the Dunwich Horror while Deep Ones invade somewhere else and the King in Yellow begins its 3rd act just starts to hit the point of incoherence for me. Focusing a game on an individual expansion gives a more coherent feel to the game's story. Our house focus rule is that we'll take the cards from the expansion that we're playing, take an equal number of base game cards and then shuffle them together. We even go so far as to check the wiki to figure out what monster types and how many there would be and have only those available in the monster cup, though, admittedly, this does add another 10 minutes to set-up.

As to other aspects of the expansions, such as the injury/madness, heralds, etc. that are independent of the expansions story we typically use them in every game.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »

OK....so, how does this sound:

1. The Mythos cards for each of the small box expansions (but maybe not Pharoah and King in Yellow unless I use one of those specific ones?) I was thinking maybe using the King in Yellow as a base line, also...but not sure?

2. The Gate cards ALL the expansions. (for Kingsport and Dunwhich, if not using those expansions, I tuck them under the board with the Other World section sticking out....)

3. Injury/Madness cards

4. all item/spells/unique/skills from all expansions

5. the Personal Stories cards

6. Relationship cards

7. the New Gate Markers (from Lurker)

Not sure, though about the "One of a Thousand" cult cards from Black Goat. Do those work ok without using that variant?

Also, of course, I am using all the Investigators and Ancient Old Ones and all of the location cards for the Arkham board (and the other boards if/when they are used).

I think that is my "official" set up now. Just not sure about the Black Goat cult cards....

When I use a board expansion, I will add the Mythos Cards in for the games I play using them.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »

if you do use the one of a thousand encounters make sure to toss in your corruption deck as well, as i think some of those encounters force corruption draws.

and theres really no problem with tossing them in.  the reason im so "down" (and even then, down is a VERY strong word!) on it is that i personally like to use A LOT of encounter cards - the encounters are probably one of my favorite parts of the game and the more the merrier!  but that makes it that much harder to ever draw an encounter that gets you in the cult in the first place.  likewise, i love the idea of the corruption cards, its great really and there are a ton of neat effects that trigger from them.  but when not using the herald, to actually GET corrupted, you have to 1) manage to find an arkham encounter that gets you in the cult 2) have a compelling reason to go to a cult location once in the cult and have an encounter 3) draw a cult encounter that gets you corrupted!

now ive HEARD miskatonic has encounters that really "tie" the expansions together and probably give players a lot more opportunities to start chanting Ia Ia whilst naked in the woods.  of course, im sure all i need is one game when one of a thousand really comes into play and works out beautifully to change my mind!  i just havent had it yet

and gryndyl hmm interesting take on the big boards.  you know i played a lot of dunwich as one big board but never really considered trying to let innsmouth stand on its own for an evening or two (by the time it came out i was in the "screw it, toss 'em all in!" mindset).  as i love the theme and setting, i probably really should let it have center stage a few times.  most times i play it, with everything else included it ends as a death trap for the unlucky player sent to gobble up clues.  who always ends up in jail... and we all know what that means...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: